Who has a Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 2:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot
Re: Who has a Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon?

Im thinking of getting a late 90's Tahoe or Yukon and wondered what people thought of them. Im not looking for the 'SUV's are evil' or they suck gas (I drive a Mustang GT now), but more of how did it does as far as reliability, maintainance, and comfort. I havent decided between the 2 door or 4 door, but I think Im stuck on 4wd. If you have had a 2door, what is the room like in the back seat? I dont go 3 or 4 deep much, but I would need some room back there.

Also I notice that some have 'barn doors' in the back that open outward and some have a tailgate and a glass that lifts. Is this a year thing or an option?

Any feedback would be appreciated except those haters in which case you can bugger off!
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 8:19 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Disclaimer, before the 'my brand is better' thread starts, the question specifically asked re Tahoe or Yukon.

We had a 96 Tahoe and liked it enough that we traded it for a 03 Tahoe. Only things we had to do were the usual maintenance items...oil, filters, fluids, gas. Rock solid reliable.

I used it to get to work when I needed 4 wheel drive in the winter, but it was my wife's main vehicle. She wouldn't even think of looking at anything else when it came time to get a new vehicle.

The barn doors are an option...whatever floats your boat.

It is comfortable on long trips, reliable and hauls a lot of cargo. There's one thing it's not good for...sport driving. Keep the 'stang for that!

I would give it 5 out of 5 stars if it got 20mpg, but it doesn't so 4 out of 5.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 9:37 AM

Reputation Power: 0

This is my 4th Suburban and other than surviving a submarine adventure (totally submerged), they have been rock solid, very dependable and have been used to tow everything from Grand Cherokee's to a Ford Excursion that wasn't 'up to the task at hand'. They pull trailers very easily, seat lot's of people comfortably and my latest does get 20 miles per gallon, so I guess I give them 5 out of 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 9:56 AM

Check out the NHTSA site for info. It has a wealth of info that may be helpful to you.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 10:22 AM

Chris, I have a '96 2-door 4x4 Tahoe, 350, with 142k miles on the odometer (all mine).

Up until '97, there were notorious problems with the A/C compressor failing. Mine has been replaced twice, and I know of several other owners that had the same problem. The first time, I was at about 60K miles and out of warranty ($800), and again just this year. This last time was covered fully by GM's 'Goodwrench' lifetime warranty policy, so I didn't pay a dime for it. Other than that, I've only had to deal with those things that you'd expect during the normal life of high mileage and some pretty serious off-road/utility/towing use...batteries, belts, fuel filter, fuel pump, alternator, water pump, shocks, and u-joints. I had to replace the fuel injectors, which had started to leak, at about 120k miles.

Access to the rear seat is not too bad, especially if the front passenger seat release is working properly. They are known to get screwed up, not allowing it to slide fully forward. If the vehicle is equipped with a power-assisted driver's seat, access from that side is a real pain, as the only way to move the seat forward is electronically, i.e., VERY slowly. But, there is plenty of leg room in the back seat, once you're in.

I opted for the tailgate/hatch, instead of the van doors, because it is much easier to deal with if you ever expect to carry anything that will protrude from the rear, like lumber.

Hope that helps for now, and let me know if you have any specific questions.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 10:27 AM

Reputation Power: 50

And Pete can tell ya that they bunnyhop very well too
post #7 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 10:56 AM

Quote:
ND4SPDSHO : And Pete can tell ya that they bunnyhop very well too
Just be sure to pump up the brakes up before continuing on your way.

post #8 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 1:52 PM
Sponsor

Reputation Power: 22

I have the 03 Z71 4door, Tahoe, LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT! Did I mention I love it? My friend just sold his 97(i think), 2-door with 100,000 something miles with no problems. I've already got 17,500 miles on mine and it was worth every penny, lots of them, but worth it! You'll like either though, the Tahoe or Yukon, I drove both, but got the better deal on the Tahoe. I have the hatch/pop up glass and I love it that way, I've heard that the barn doors middle section is in the way of your rear-view mirror. But anyway, I'll trade it in for another when the time comes.

www.cycletrendz.com

2006 Northeast Dragway Points Champion
2005 Northeast Dragway Points Runner Up
post #9 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 4:03 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Well Niner, since you've ridden in my Yukon Valdez you already know what I love about it. The room comes in handy whether you're hauling bikes and gear to the track, kids to camp, or three dogs and your hunting gear! Mileage isn't the greatest, but you already know that. I've had both the panel doors and the liftgate and the only real difference is the slightly obstructed rear view with the doors. The four wheeldrive sure comes in handy for heavy snows or muddy rutted two-tracks.

Great all-around vehicle, IMHO....

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #10 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 5:33 PM
TEN

I had a 98 Tahoe 2wd and absolutley loved it. It had the barn doors on it, and frankly the only problem I didnt like about them was the 8 inch middle part that was right in the middle of your rear view when looking out the rear view mirror. I traded that Tahoe in on a 2002 Z71 Tahoe. That, my friend, is what SUV driving is supposed to be. Its awesome. I think the newer year has a little less room in the back seat than the 'older' model, but it has much more head room. Also, the 'cockpit' on the newer year models is a bit more user friendly. The only thing that i dont like about the 02 is the stereo needs to be modified a bit. You wont be disappointed with a Tahoe, trust me.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 7:45 PM

We just bought an '03 Yukon XL. It's our first SUV, but we plan on taking the kids to all 50 states, and driving to all of them except Hawaii ... duh. We looked at and drove a lot of different vehicles and just kept coming back to the Suburban / Yukon XL. So far we like it a lot - except for the rock chip I got on day 3.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-02-2003, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 25

Send a message via AIM to NinerPilot Send a message via MSN to NinerPilot

Wow! Looks like nothing but positive experiences. Ill probably get a 98 model 2 door 4x4 if I can find one. I have a friend with a dealers license that will take me to the auction to find one.
Chris

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page