Digital SLR Camera: Nikon v Olympus - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 23

Digital SLR Camera: Nikon v Olympus

About to buy myself a new camera. Narrowed it down to a Nikon D70s or an Olympus E-500.

Brand loyalty (I've had an OM1 for almost 30 years), and cost, steer me towards the Olympus. None of my OM lenses will fit though, so I'll be starting over again. Price for kit with two zomm lenses ~ 560.00

The D70 might be a slightly better camera, maybe, but for amateurs like me either would be more than good enough. I happen to have a brand new, never fitted, eight year old Nikon 70-300 AF lens sitting on the shelf at home (it's a long story) which sweetens the Nikon choice somewhat. Price for body and 14-70 zoom lens ~ 650

So photographers, opinions please. Help me choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 11:48 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13
Re: Digital SLR Camera: Nikon v Olympus

Canon!

Oh sorry, out of those two choices? The Nikon wins my vote ESPECIALLY since you already have another lens at home.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 12:06 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Look into lenses as this is THE issue. The Olympus uses a standard which I am not sure how it has gone. While the Nikon is not a standard there is a lot of Nikon lenses and third party lense manufacturers that support the Nikon mount. Check prices on lenses as this can easily be the real money (and for an amatuer the biggest effect on quality)

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

Proto,
The Olympus is a fine camera for the everyday family/ amature/ hobbyist photographer. What I don't like about it is that it seems to have a smaller sensor (2x mag factor) and that it seems to be noticably noisier at higher ISO's than the Nikon or Canon. I think it has a smaller buffer as well. I have read that it takes substantially longer than other DSLR's to start up which could be a PITA if you need to get a shot *right now*.
Is it a bad camera? No, but given the choice, I'd go with the Nikon here.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 1:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
Proto,
The Olympus is a fine camera for the everyday family/ amature/ hobbyist photographer. What I don't like about it is that it seems to have a smaller sensor (2x mag factor) and that it seems to be noticably noisier at higher ISO's than the Nikon or Canon. I think it has a smaller buffer as well. I have read that it takes substantially longer than other DSLR's to start up which could be a PITA if you need to get a shot *right now*.
Is it a bad camera? No, but given the choice, I'd go with the Nikon here.
That just about sums it up perfectly. Thanks both.

I've certainly heard that the Olympus is noisy above ISO400, which probably wouldn't worry me too much. However it is a consideration. Likewise the buffer and start up speed. If I hadn't got the spare lens it would be the Olympus, superb value, but I have, so guess what I've just bought. Got back from the store 5 mins ago and yes, got the D70S. The guy in the shop suggested that the E-500 might be a slighly better choice, but hey what does he know

BTW here is a link to a review of the lens I have:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75300.htm

Story behind it is that my brother-in-law bought some Nikon gear, including this lens (plus another long telephoto which he hasn't yet sent to me). But his camera bag was stolen before he ever got around to using it. Replaced the Nikon with Canon. So it sat in his cupboard ever since.

I'll take the D70 to a trackday next week at Oulton Park, see what I can do with it. The extra lens should be perfect
post #6 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 1:32 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto
That just about sums it up perfectly. Thanks both.

I've certainly heard that the Olympus is noisy above ISO400, which probably wouldn't worry me too much. However it is a consideration. Likewise the buffer and start up speed. If I hadn't got the spare lens it would be the Olympus, superb value, but I have, so guess what I've just bought. Got back from the store 5 mins ago and yes, got the D70S. The guy in the shop suggested that the E-500 might be a slighly better choice, but hey what does he know

BTW here is a link to a review of the lens I have:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/75300.htm

Story behind it is that my brother-in-law bought some Nikon gear, including this lens (plus another long telephoto which he hasn't yet sent to me). But his camera bag was stolen before he ever got around to using it. Replaced the Nikon with Canon. So it sat in his cupboard ever since.

I'll take the D70 to a trackday next week at Oulton Park, see what I can do with it. The extra lens should be perfect
If there is a lense coming that is abover 300MM go Nikon for sure. Even lower quality long lenses are $$$$ or many pounds for you.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #7 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 2:00 PM

post #8 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 2:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue
If there is a lense coming that is abover 300MM go Nikon for sure. Even lower quality long lenses are $$$$ or many pounds for you.
Well, so far he's been unable to find in in the attic, and he can't actually remember what lens it was, but he "thinks" it might be a 500mm or something. Now I don't think Nikon made a 500, but time will tell. If he ever finds it. If it is a 400, 500 or 600, they are very bloody expensive. Maybe it's a zoom

Just been unpacking the boxes. Put the battery on charge, so in about 2 hours I'll be ready to go.

Question: in the old days i always put a protective filter on the end of each lens, just in case. Did the same with the new ones. Hoya. Good call or detracting from Nikon quality?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-02-2006, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto

Question: in the old days i always put a protective filter on the end of each lens, just in case. Did the same with the new ones. Hoya. Good call or detracting from Nikon quality?
Always a good call.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page