Windows Vista - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 9:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Windows Vista

OK, so being the IT guy that I am, I have been test-driving Windows Wista Beta 2 for the last week or so. In the end, I feel very sorry for anyone that is going to need to support end users on this thing.

While most of the functionality is the same as XP, they have changed the User Interface to a point of complete craziness. The Aero Glass interface is really pretty and all, but is completely confusing. There is no consistency between applications. Some (like IE7) have no menu bar, except for some icons in the right corner that magically turn in to menus if you click on them.

Other apps, like Windows Update, open in this hybrid explorer/control panel thing that is HIGHLY confusing. Yet others open in the classical sense with a menu bar and the like.

This is worse than going from XP to Mac OS X.

Add to that the Windows Security thing that halts everything on your computer to hit "OK, I really want to do that" when you try to perform the simplest tasks (open the recycle bin, for example), and it doesn't take long before you want to kill it.

At least is has all the obvious Mac ripoffs in the UI. I suppose when I go into my windows-stupidity-limit-reached catatonic state I can look at the pretty window close button.

There is one saving grace - it's pretty damn fast. I have it running on a Dual 3 GHz / 2 GB RAM machine, and it sizzles pretty well.

Anyone else had a chance to play with this yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 9:42 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Re: Windows Vista

I finally messed with it some today. Noticed the dumbass User Interface box or whatever it was that pops up after nearly anything you click on...especially anything that changes settings
The "Gadgets" are a complete ripoff of widgets.
It seems to automatically scale down your install based on your system though. I installed it on an older home machine and it doesn't have gadgets, or sidebar, or the glass windows like it's some ultra suck-ass Home edition
I'll probably mess with it a little more tomorrow, but so far just navigating to things is a little strange.
And Office 2007 is VERY different from the older versions.
post #3 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 9:48 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I have heard office is a bitch. I am downloading it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 9:51 PM

Reputation Power: 39

I thought about it, but I no longer have a test machine so I didn't even bother downloading it.
post #5 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 10:06 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
In the end, I feel very sorry for anyone that is going to need to support end users on this thing.
All the changes can be manipulated with Group Policy, I saw a demo of it by a Msft guy. He showed it in the new default form then applied a GPO and it went back to looking very much like XP. It's getting to the point that if you don't have someone on your staff that knows GP you are pretty much screwed. If I was working on a helpdesk right now I would be studying up, I think Vista with Longhorn and later Gemini will greatly reduce the load on support staff.
post #6 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was playing around with the UI options. I guess all we can hope for is that the "business" versions of this are going to come like that as default, but some how I doubt it.
post #7 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Stop questioning and be assimilated...

Must obey the sheep dog
post #8 of 55 Old 06-13-2006, 10:37 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I haven't even gotten it to install...then again, I was playing with Beta 1. I did download Office 07 and don't like it much at all. They put the UI on steroids(like it needed anymore)
post #9 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

I've been to two sessions about Vista and Office 2007 along with all the back end servers (Sharepoint, Exchange, etc). In fact spent today shown around the deployment tools which seem handy.

The new kernel and usermode drivers seem to offer possibilities to reduce some admin overhead along with doing away with the Power User groups and the seperation of Admin and User tokens even for someone with Admin privilidges seems to be handy as well.

But yer I don't have a machine at home that comes close to being able to run Vista and don't have the time to mess around with it a work, even though the bag full of goodies beside me is overflowing with CDs and a Frisbee. Holy **** theres a Chupa Chup in there as well.....SCORE!!!
post #10 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 10:49 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via MSN to matt232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
I did download Office 07 and don't like it much at all. They put the UI on steroids(like it needed anymore)
Thier explaination for that was that when they surveyed users about what features to add to 2003 they found that 80% of the requests already existed so they hit upon the idea of moving stuff around so that it was easier to find (who's betting the survey results move towards the 100% mark for the next version now that everything has been totally re-arranged?).

Essentially in office the idea was that whenever someone clicked on something in a document the toolbar acts like a context menu giving you specific tools to maniplulate the item (i.e. if its an image you get a resize tool, how it is aligned with sorrounding text, etc for text its bold, italics and font buttons).

But yer there is definately a learning curve to overcome.
post #11 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt232

The new kernel and usermode drivers seem to offer possibilities to reduce some admin overhead along with doing away with the Power User groups and the seperation of Admin and User tokens even for someone with Admin privilidges seems to be handy as well.
It will help with administration but that isn't why Msft did it. SOX compliance is huge in the US and people are failing audits because admins and endusers have to many rights and are using accounts for day to day work that isn't being audited well. This was also pushed by customers because of COBIT and ITIL practices.
post #12 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Looks like I need to get off my arse and check this out. Sounds like Vista is an abortion looking for a womb. I've kinda slacked off keeping my ear to the ground on new IT stuff since the semester ended.
post #13 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 3:58 PM

I dunno, I've been playing with Vista for a while. It's definitely love/hate relationship at this point. My visual quality bar is set rather low, so all the AERO/Glass effects look good enough. There are alot of upgrades under the hood, which should make the OS more stable, etc. Who knows, time can only tell. It's a decent enough OS - for what that's worth.

Be fast or be last.
post #14 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 7:12 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Other apps, like Windows Update, open in this hybrid explorer/control panel thing that is HIGHLY confusing. Yet others open in the classical sense with a menu bar and the like.
They want you to just accept them without looking.

I recently got an update that was MS spyware making sure my copy was legit.(or course it is...) I'm sure they'd love for everyone to get that without knowing what they were doing.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #15 of 55 Old 06-14-2006, 7:13 PM

Reputation Power: 39

The authentication tool has been around for a while... You can't get updates from WindowsUpdate anymore unless you're legit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page