Crown victoria questions - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 7:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Crown victoria questions

Well since I sold the lude I have been looking at some options. One of the ones that keeps coming to the top is a 2001 crown vic retired Florida state trooper car. Car has 80K miles on it and the guy is asking $6000 canadian for it. The body is near mint too which is a bonus and the underside of the car is in great shape

Since there are a few officers around here I am sure that some one has driven one once or twice.

Looks decent, runs great, pulls a lot of weight(likely close to 3000LBS)

It is an interceptor so does this mean that it has a transmission cooler and the heavier suspension? any other cool gadgets I should know about?

I am just looking for some input into these beasts. IE re-occuring problems, oil consumption, gas mileage, handling, body problems etc etc...

The best part about this car is it still has the cut outs for the big crome spot lights How cool would that be

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 7:43 PM

Re: Crown victoria questions

Well, I am not an expert, but I have been on several LEO ride-alongs, and in every one the officer was very leadfooted, and rode the car hard. In one ride we actually jumped over the curb of a freeway onramp to catch some guys that decided to try and flee the officer during a traffic stop. Ended up being a chase along a mountain road with ruts and the like.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 7:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
Well, I am not an expert, but I have been on several LEO ride-alongs, and in every one the officer was very leadfooted, and rode the car hard. In one ride we actually jumped over the curb of a freeway onramp to catch some guys that decided to try and flee the officer during a traffic stop. Ended up being a chase along a mountain road with ruts and the like.
So what you're saying is it will be used to how I will be driving it already and won't have to break it in right?

I have thought of that part about it and I keep coming back to that car...?

How well are they maintained by the department? decent or are they just driven into the ground and then dumped on poor shlubs like myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 7:52 PM

i think some of them have oil coolers too. but i would be careful if it was a trooper car, they beat the crap out of those things. i'm a ford technition so i work on the vics a lot and overall they are one of the better cars the ford makes
post #5 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 8:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtech85
i think some of them have oil coolers too. but i would be careful if it was a trooper car, they beat the crap out of those things. i'm a ford technition so i work on the vics a lot and overall they are one of the better cars the ford makes
That is one of the things that I have been thinking. They have the same engine as a stang right? 4.7 litre(or what ever you guys call them) just shy of a 302 I guess?

I am leary but I work for a bigger company here too and I know how well they look after them when they break... Mind you you are right, we do beat the crap out of them...
post #6 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 8:34 PM

The cars are well maintained and have been fortified for cop (hard) use. Suspension, alternator, rad hoses, engine oil and PS cooler, fan clutch are some of the things that are heavy duty on the Mustangs.

I have an ex-CHP Mustang and it's been a great car. (one of the things they reinforced on the stangs was the floorboards...partially for curb hopping)

If the car seems solid, and you like it, I'd do it.

BTW, it's a 4.6.

post #7 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 8:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the correction on the displacement

I have been under it and around it and it is VERY clean. Mind you the first thing that would be changed would be the exhaust, it's looking a little worn... flowmasters it is

I really do like bigger cars and wish that I could get my hands on a mint caprice but... they are getting to be a hard find.

it is nice to see that they are built a bit more for H-D use. every thing would be well used if I owned it that's for sure.

What kind of mileage do you get with a big sled like this?

How about your stang LTL? Is it "decent" at the pumps?
post #8 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 8:52 PM

Reputation Power: 15

My parents had a Gran Marquis, same car basically. We got about 20 mpg and it would run pretty well. Cops do beat the hell out of their cars. Kinda like city workers. They usually have over 100k on them and run the wheels off them.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 9:02 PM

think of a 80,000 mile cop car as a 160,000 regular car.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

One of the things cops typically do with their cars is to idle them for loooong periods of times. I know our local dept. spends a lot on keeping them maintained well.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #11 of 15 Old 06-15-2006, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemisis
think of a 80,000 mile cop car as a 160,000 regular car.
I guess you could.

My buddy's Dad has a 88 or so 5.0 ex-CHP that has over 300,000 miles without a rebuild. Two tranny rebuilds for synchros, a timing chain, and two fuel pumps is all it's needed. Mine has over 140K...quite common on these cars.

My Stang gets 15-20 depending on how it's driven. It is a different engine and a lighter car.

I have no idea what the Crown Vics get.

post #12 of 15 Old 06-15-2006, 6:01 AM Thread Starter

Cool good to know, dad rides with the auxilary up here and says that they get decent mileage too.

I guess that I will just have to see what happens over the next little while.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-18-2006, 10:58 AM

Make sure it has been retrofitted with a new gas tank. There was a recall, but I don't know which year models it effects.

They explode.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

See if you can find yourself a '96 Impala SS... they pop up in the Auto Trader here from time to time.

And then there's this asshole...
post #15 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 11:36 PM

If it came from a large department then you will most likely have no worries about how it has been maintained. Ours are required to have oil changes every 3k and other periodic maintainance at 6k, 12k and 24k, those being more and more thorough. My old car was a 99 model with 128k on it. It was still a very good car even though it was "driven hard." Police package cars are designed to take abuse and keep on going. How many car chases have you seen on TV where the offender car blows up? Ever seen a police car give up its guts first?
The police package has heavier suspension, brakes, cooling, charging, etc. There is however no special "chip" or anything like that. Some cars for highway use may have different gearing in the differential for better top speed or gas mileage. Ours were for city use and were governed to 120 mph top end. Never needed more than that to get the job done.
As far as the endless idling, I wouldnt worry about that either. That is what the extra cooling is for on the police package. My new 06 actually has an hour meter on it. My 99 would idle so long that it would be making gurgling sounds from the condensation building up in the exhaust. Big fun to rev it up and clear out the exhaust when someone is walking behind the car.
A little advice about police cars. Pull the back seat out and search it REALLY WELL before driving it home. Ive seen some cars from small departments that had a lot of contraband hidden in/under the back seat. I pull my back seat up the day I get a car to make it easier to search after someone sits back there. Dont want to get tagged for someone elses dope a couple months down the road.
Also clean that mother with bleach or something strong. It will smell for a little while but if you had any idea of how many people crap, pee, spit and bleed in the back of police cars you wouldnt think twice about doing it.
Most of the cars have had the gas tank recall done by Ford dealerships as part of the lawsuit. All they do is grind off a couple small metal tabs off the rear end that were pointing towards the gas tank. When hit from behind the gas tank was being pushed towards the rear end causing the tabs to penetrate the gas tank. The leaking gas would then catch fire. I watched a couple get done.
Other than that nothing else comes to mind. If you have any ?s just send me a message.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page