Has anyone had a ACL replacement? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to EDDIE110171
Has anyone had a ACL replacement?

This Wednesday the 28th I go in for a ACL replacement or reconstruction as they like to call it. I tore my ACL in a trials bike accident. It will be done arthroscopic as an out-patient. Has anyone gone through the sugery? What is the recovery like?

"another beautiful theory beaten to death by a gang of ruthless facts..."
- Tom Hanna (Master Metalshaper/Nitrogeezer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Has anyone had a ACL replacement?

I had one done 11 years ago and have the screw and staples in my knee to prove it! You won't regret it.

Mine was not arthroscopic and was not out-patient. Times have changed a lot in the last 11 years.

HD
post #3 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 2:27 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE110171
This Wednesday the 28th I go in for a ACL replacement or reconstruction as they like to call it. I tore my ACL in a trials bike accident. It will be done arthroscopic as an out-patient. Has anyone gone through the sugery? What is the recovery like?

expect 9-12 months of rehab and recovery.....

"Make your next move your best move"

-The King of the South, T.I.-

My BlogSpace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 3:32 PM

You won't be up to 90% for a year or so (I don't say 100% because you never really get it all back).

If you are getting it performed Arthroscopically, your major recovery will be faster than if they splayed you wide open. Expect a few weeks of good pain meds, a knee mobilizer, and generally being a pain in the ass to everyone around.

Then months and months of knee braces and rehab.

But in the end, you will be glad you got it taken care of.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
You won't be up to 90% for a year or so (I don't say 100% because you never really get it all back).

If you are getting it performed Arthroscopically, your major recovery will be faster than if they splayed you wide open. Expect a few weeks of good pain meds, a knee mobilizer, and generally being a pain in the ass to everyone around.

Then months and months of knee braces and rehab.

But in the end, you will be glad you got it taken care of.
I thought most docs didn't use a brace anymore.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 4:19 PM

sounds like you didn't rupture your ACL but only tore it, thus allowing for only arthroscopic surgery.
recovery will depend on the doctor doing the surgery and also the pt afterward. Ask your doctor who he would go to for pt if it were him then just take it easy on the knee. No pain! when people say, "no pain, no gain." they are full of ****. your pt will know how to rehab you. you will use crutches for about 6-8 weeks (maybe) and also a brace for an additional 2 to 4 but again that all depends on the doctor peforming the surgery and also on the shape it is in now.

did you have any pre-hab? cause think about it, the stronger your knee is going into the surgery the stronger it will be coming out of it. I dont think it will quite take a year to recover, it might be a year until you feel fully 100% and are able to jump and all that stuff but i'd say you'll be walking on it without crutches or a brace and with considerable weight in like 4-6 months. Like I said though it all depends on how bad it is, how skilled your orthapedist is and also your pt. Good luck dude and do the homework your pt gives you but don't over do it.

I agree with navydeveldoc in that you never fully get it all back.

Last edited by mathyoomay; 06-26-2006 at 4:31 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 4:56 PM Thread Starter

I was already told it will be probably 6 months of rehab and 1 year to full recovery. Where everything falls in the middle is still unknown. The doctor did say I will be able to anything I was doing before. He also told me I would be using a brace but, until the surgery he won't tell me if it will be a week or a month.

post #8 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 6:05 PM

All of the info from everyone else is correct. I had it done in 2003. I severed my ACL and tore several spots on my miniscus(sp?) disc.

Here are the facts in my case.
1. out-patient surgery went well. No pain what-so-ever. Heavy dose of meds.
2. I was on pain heavy pain meds for one week. I stopped because they were creating havoc on my body. I suffered through the next four weeks only taking motrin.
3. rehab started the next day after surgery and continued for the next nine months. Knee brace was a must.
4. The knee is about 75%. It has never been the same but I think that is because I tore my disc. That is my guess. I don't think you can replace the disc. But I don't know.
5. A year to the day after I tore my ACL, I was back on the basketball court playing full court ball. I still must wear a brace when playing sports.

All in all, it went well.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDIE110171
I was already told it will be probably 6 months of rehab and 1 year to full recovery. Where everything falls in the middle is still unknown. The doctor did say I will be able to anything I was doing before. He also told me I would be using a brace but, until the surgery he won't tell me if it will be a week or a month.

I totally agree, the brace is something you will definetly have to deal with and it can get stinky but the most thing you'll hate is the crutches. gradually you will be able to use it more and more. like I said it depends on a lot of factors, but you should do fine.

Good luck bud! let me know how it goes.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-26-2006, 9:11 PM

Back when I had mine done I wore the brace for 6 months! It was mostly over the winter so it was over my jeans. No stinkyness.

Anyway, all these years later and I'm nearly 100%. I've taken up distance running and I do some heavy weight lifting including squats, cleans, dead lifts, single leg squats etc. The only time I "notice" my knee is while squatting heavy as it has a tendancy to turn in. I know this and can force it not to however. It's a simple muscle imbalance that can be fixed, I just haven't.

Do the rehab religiously and you'll be fine.

HD
post #11 of 22 Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the support. I didn't have much of a choice about doing it or not. The ACL tear is 90-95% and my knee is giving out on me. So the longer I wait, the more damage I am likely to do. I am not crazy about the 6 months of rehab but, like I said not much of a choice.

post #12 of 22 Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM

I can't possibly image what you're going through. Three years ago I partically tore both my ACL and MCL. Like a dip sh*t it waited about three months before I went to the dr. I had about 40% tear on both and now they had scar tissue and the dr. said he couldn't do anything because I waited too long for treatment.

Now my knee just hurts all the time and if I leave it in one position for any length of time, it's pure agony to do anything. I wish you the best of the luck and speedy recovery..
post #13 of 22 Old 06-28-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Today I have to be at the medical center at 12:30 for my procedure that begins my 6 months of rehab. I know it will be worth it in the end, I'm just not looking forward to the recovery process. It's all for the best.

post #14 of 22 Old 06-28-2006, 9:36 PM

Good luck with that. I didn't have ACL reconstruction but a few years ago (during my freshman year of college) I was biking (as in bicycle) down a steep hill and as I turned at the base of this hill there was an illegally parked car around the corner which prevented me from seeing the toyota pick-up that pull out of the parking lot. Long story short, I halved my knee cap (the patella) and fragmented my upper shin (the tibia) on my left knee. I currently have 4 screws in my knee as I type.

The worst part of all this actually was not the accident itself but the physical therapy afterwards (morphine and adrenaline does wonders). It took me 4-5 months before I could walk w/o crutches. I hope this provides you with a little insight (although it fully seems like you already have a good grasp of what you're getting into). Good luck and hope you ride soon!
post #15 of 22 Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 AM

It's going to hurt like a SOB, but try to start your rehab as soon as possible after surgery and take it seriously. The Army made me wait a month after arthro on my knee and it took me almost 6 months just to be able to have full range of motion, not to mention the muscle atrophy that took another 6 months after that to look almost normal.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page