Firemen/Policemen/Lawyers in the house? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 8:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Firemen/Policemen/Lawyers in the house?

Alright, well I just moved into a new Apartment complex closer to school this past Saturday. Nice place for the most part. Nice pool/grill/workout facility/ etc... However, EVERY SINGLE DAY that i've lived here the fire alarm has gone off. Every other day it went off once a day, but yesterday it went off about 4 times... Thing is, it always goes off LATE at night. Talked to management and they said that some douche keeps pulling it... Every night that woulda made sense except for last night, it went on for 15 mins, turned off, went on for 5 seconds, turned off, went on for 15 mins, turned off, went on for 1 minute turned off. This sounds like wiring problems to me, but what do I know...

Well anyways, does the complex have any type of obligation to try and stop this? I mean, if its wiring its definately their problem, but if it is this funny guy pulling it every night, do they HAVE to do something about it? I'm going to go talk to the head guy today and see if I can convince him to fix it ...

If its left up to me, I think I would want to find this bastard and chop his fingers off one by one.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 8:13 AM

Re: Firemen/Policemen/Lawyers in the house?

Is the FD showing up or is it just a local alarm? Call your FD and tell them that the alarms keep going off on a daily basis and that you'r worried about your safety. They can go in and do inspections on the place and force repairs if anything is discovered.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 8:20 AM Thread Starter

I'm assuming they're not showing up b/c with it happening constantly everynight, I would think they would have forced inspection by now (I'm guessing this didn't just start the day I moved in...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 9:17 AM

Be a good neighbor and report it. The fire department should be well trained to take care of all fire alarms. A fire system that gets regular inspections is a real lifesaver. That system really is worth its weight in gold if its working properly. If you ever have seen a fire start in a tall building, you will know what I mean.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 9:38 AM Thread Starter

So the FD would help if it was wiring, but if its someone pulling it what to do? I mean, its a felony right? But local PD probally won't do anything about it... I mean hell, I stopped an officer the other day while I was on my bike cause there was a window in my complex with a sign that read "HELP"... Granted it was probally a prank (I mean I live in a complex where ppl get their jollies by pulling the fire alarm...) but still, atleast ACT like your going to go check it out...

Getting sidetracked..... Guessing police wouldn't do anything about it, is there any type of law that would require the complex to do anything about it?
post #6 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthotchkiss
I'm assuming they're not showing up b/c with it happening constantly everynight, I would think they would have forced inspection by now (I'm guessing this didn't just start the day I moved in...)
Don't assume that the FD even knows about the alarm. If it is a "LOCAL" alarm it is not sending a signal to the FD and isused to alert the residents of the complex, not the FD. Somebody still needs to call 911 to get a response from emergency crews.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13
Don't assume that the FD even knows about the alarm. If it is a "LOCAL" alarm it is not sending a signal to the FD and isused to alert the residents of the complex, not the FD. Somebody still needs to call 911 to get a response from emergency crews.
I wasn't assuming the FD knew about it, I was assuming they didn't, I guess I can just call 911 everytime it goes off, after a bit of that I guess someone will have to take care of it... I just didn't want to call 911 for something that was 98% a hoax (yea I know I'm gonna get crap about the other 2%) I got to the point where I would just chill in my room for 15 mins (time it typically took for them to go off) and if they didn't go off I would leave the building. The place is made of concrete floors/walls and minimum 1 hour firewall...

Its sad that the fire alarm has gotten to be such a joke... I can't tell you how many places I've been that its gone off, everyone looks at each other, and continues on with whatever they were doing.

Thanks for the info NH
post #8 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Like NH said, if it's not monitored, then the FD isn't even aware of it, maybe. Some FD's charge for false alarms to monitored systems which normally will get them repaired sooner. We don't, and just keep going regardless of the condition of the system. We can, however, put a system out of service with the monitoring company but residents still may phone it in. The local FD, depending on their local policies, may lean on management to repair it. Our building department now does fire inspections and is not directly connected to the fire department. So if there is a problem with abuse, we verbally let the property management firmly know that they need to take control of the situation and the Sheriff's Office will get involved. Usually a nice firm threat clears up most problems. Get with the property management and voice your concerns for your own personal safety and let them know that you have spoke with the local FD and PD.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Your lease probably has a stipulation that you are entitled to a peaceful environment "quiet enjoyment?" If the management co. isn't doing anything about this problem, it would be looked on the same way as if they didn't fix a broken window or door lock. ANd if a fire breaks out and people are injured or killed because they didn't do the right thing, they'd be screwed in the media and the courts.

How many fire alarms are there? They could video monitor the more likely ones, or capture fingerprints..
post #10 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRVFR
How many fire alarms are there? They could video monitor the more likely ones, or capture fingerprints..
ALOT... I would have thought fingerprints, but thats useless unless they have a record...

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'm going to chat w/ higher up management and call in next time it happens (which will probally be tonight... lol)
post #11 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 6:38 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Maybe there is a fire?

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #12 of 12 Old 07-06-2006, 7:18 PM

I've seen some ultraviolet ink that is put on the pull stations. Then the person who pulled it will have a glowing hand under a blacklight. This only works if you have someone you suspect is doing it. It would be too time consuming to check everyone.

Call the FD business line, it should be in the phone book, and tell them the alarm keeps going off. It's very unsafe for this to happen often. People will get sick of it and start ignoring it. Then everyone is screwed when there is a real fire. Just like car alarms, who actually gives a **** when one goes off nowadays?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page