Doping Stunner from the Tour! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 29

Doping Stunner from the Tour!

Tour de France winner failed drug test in race - Tour de France - MSNBC.com

That sucks!

04 600RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 11:58 AM

Reputation Power: 45

Re: Doping Stunner from the Tour!

Yeah, I was sick.

I wonder what in the hell is going on? High testosterone? Wonder if this is from cortizone or some other steroid they used for his hip?

Either way, poor Landis gets lumped into a bad group...where they were dying to put Armstrong.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #3 of 17 Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM

Reputation Power: 14

SUCKS FOR LANDIS, BUT IF HE WAS DOPING HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO WIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 AM

I'll admit, I'm biased, as I really don't think (want to) believe he was doping....but I found this on Landis' Wikipedia profile. Interesting, he was using Cortisone (and had approval for it) and has hypothyroidism which can cause testosterone to get out of whack. (A family member has this, and I can definitely attest it's true.)

Doping investigation

On July 27, 2006 the Phonak Cycling Team announced that Landis tested positive in a drug test given to him after Stage 17. He tested positive for an abnormally high ratio of the hormone testosterone to epitestosterone during Stage 17 of the race. On the same day the allegations were made public, Landis denied doping in order to win the 2006 Tour de France.
Landis has been suspended pending the submission and results of a second test or "B sample." His team has stated he will be fired from the team should his B sample prove positive.[8] The exact T/E ratio measured for Landis has not been made public, and there is some debate as to whether the test necessarily proves doping.[9] In particular, hypothyroidism, which Landis has, causes low levels of SHBG, which in turn can cause relatively high levels of testosterone (since testosterone must bind with SHBG before it can be biologically processed out of the system). The net result is an accumulation of testosterone and an abnormally high T/E ratio. Even though he is on medication for his hypothyroidism, thyroid levels are notoriously unstable in those with hypothyroidism, even if taking medication[citation needed].

...in bed.

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #5 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:58 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to Repeater

npr also said he had a beer the night before which can cause a rise in testosteron (maybe thats why i spelling wrong now) i think they said the ratio was 6 (usually a ratio is ?:? numbers)

I hope he didn't

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 2:39 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
npr also said he had a beer the night before which can cause a rise in testosteron (maybe thats why i spelling wrong now) i think they said the ratio was 6 (usually a ratio is ?:? numbers)

I hope he didn't
From Velonews:

"UCI rules allow riders up to a 4-to-1 testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio. Normal males have a 1-to-1 ratio.
Landis said he did not know what his tested level was.
Landis has been taking cortisone for his deteriorating hip, and thyroid pills for a hypothyroid condition. Neither should affect his T/E ratio, Dr. Kay said. Nor should the much-celebrated beer Landis had after stage 16, or the small amount of Jack Daniels he had with a few teammates in the hotel afterwards."

Great marketing for Jack Daniels. I can already see the ads in the bodybuilding mags with some huge guy holding a bottle of Jack.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider View Post
Landis has been taking cortisone for his deteriorating hip, and thyroid pills for a hypothyroid condition. Neither should affect his T/E ratio, Dr. Kay said. Nor should the much-celebrated beer Landis had after stage 16, or the small amount of Jack Daniels he had with a few teammates in the hotel afterwards."
I don't know what kind of doctor Dr. Kay is, but I know for a fact hypothyroidism will mess up your testosterone levels. My family member has to take hormones to balance it out for the rest of her life.

It may be true the pills he's taking don't mess up his T/E ratio, but the disease itself most certainly can screw with your testosterone levels.

...in bed.

post #8 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 10:43 AM

Reputation Power: 18

The UCI recently dropped the acceptable level of testosterone to 4:1 from 6:1. I haven't seen any reports on what the ratio was the the UCI found in the A sample... they only say it was "unusually high".

With the scrutiny that the Tour has placed on doping, especially in light of Operacion Puerto that knocked out several of the top contenders the day before the Tour, it would be flat-out insane to do anything but stay on the straight-and-narrow.

I really hope he didn't do anything stupid.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #9 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 12:08 PM

I read another interesting bit on that Wikipedia article.

Since the first American rode in Le Tour, in 1981, Americans have won 11 of 26 races (thanks to LeMond, Armstrong and now Landis).

WOW.

...in bed.

post #10 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:14 PM

Reputation Power: 23

It's not looking good

Quote:
Urine samples are divided into two parts. Landis tested positive on the first, known as the "A" sample. Such a positive is not considered a violation unless the athlete admits guilt, which is rare, or it is confirmed by a test of the "B" sample.

Because testosterone is a male hormone that occurs naturally in the body, it is analyzed in relation to a similar substance, epitestosterone, to determine if an athlete has added it externally. The normal T/E ratio for a man is 1:1; a ratio of 4:1 or higher is considered evidence of doping.

Because some people are statistical "outliers," with usual T/E ratios considerably higher than 1:1, it is possible for a ratio above 4:1 to be considered normal. The International Cycling Union (UCI), which announced Wednesday that an unnamed athlete, since revealed as Landis, had an "adverse analytical finding" on the "A" sample, did not reveal any details.

Another test, which analyzes carbon isotopes, provides much more definitive evidence that an athlete has used external testosterone, according to Don Catlin, director of the Olympic drug testing laboratory at UCLA.

The French newspaper L'Equipe reported in Friday's editions that the Olympic anti-doping lab in Paris that analyzed Landis' sample also performed the carbon isotope test and that it clearly showed the presence of external testosterone.
Source: KRT Wire | 07/28/2006 | Tour de Fraud? Positive steroid test could cost Landis his title
post #11 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:20 PM

Why in the hell would Landis get by taking an anabolic steroid on day 16 of the tour? The guy just thought he'd lost the race, had the worst day of his life, and was drinking for goodness sake!

It does not help anything at that point, he'd have had to of been doing it beforehand.

As an American, you'll have to excuse me if anything L'Equipe says about an American cyclist is comparable to Al Jazerra about our soldiers...

...in bed.

Last edited by luvtolean; 07-28-2006 at 1:41 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:26 PM

A couple more bits from the WSJ today:

"Studies, including one conducted in 1996 at the National Health Public Health Institute in Helsinki, Finland, and one in 1988 at Huddinage Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden, indicate alcohol consumption can raise this ratio. Some researchers say the increase can be anywhere from 30% to more than 200%.

"He noted Mr. Landis had taken several tests during the Tour as a leader and stage winner and passed them."

Gary Wadler, a physician and a member of the World Anti-Doping Agency, said he doesn't think the test results add up because Mr. Landis didn't show an elevated ratio in any other tests. "I can't imagine how taking a single dose of an anabolic steroid could impact the performance in the sport of cycling," he said. "They need to be taken for many weeks to have an effect."

...in bed.

post #13 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeater View Post

I hope he didn't
Apparently it wasn't a beer. It was 2. Followed by 4 shots of whisky.

...in bed.

post #14 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:36 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider View Post
...I can already see the ads in the bodybuilding mags with some huge guy holding a bottle of Jack...
That explains it. I've been drinking Jack since my sophomore year of college.

I should start working out, I could get huge.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-28-2006, 1:41 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
...As an American, you'll have to excuse me anything France says about an American or anything American is comparable to Al Jazerra about our soldiers...
Fixed that for you.

If the rise is caused by hypothyroidism, all he should need to do is provide the documentation and all should be well. Unfortunately, Landis will now have to spend the rest of his racing career in the same manner Armstrong did.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page