Torn! Dont know what to do... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 6:28 PM Thread Starter
SPY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to SPY Send a message via MSN to SPY Send a message via Yahoo to SPY
Torn! Dont know what to do...

Well Friends it is getting close to decision time and i have no idea what to do.

I am coming up on Re-enlistment in November... Do i stay in the Air Force? Where it is stable and have all my benefits, guaranteed pay check, and a little over 10 years under my belt?

Or.....

Do I try to get back into Law Enforcement? I was looking into S.O. they seem to have better pay and benefits and treat their people better. DPS is not for me and Tucson P.D. seems over worked and leaves little time spent with my family.

I am just worried about passing the PT portion of it all... Everything else will be a cake walk, but with my accident last year, I fear I will not be physically able to pass the required Physical Training.

10 years of military service is a lot to just "throw away" but i have grown tired of the monotony. "Only 10 more years" I tell myself, but damn i wanna do something else.

So i have decided to at least "train" for it as if i was in the 30 week training period. I have untill December 29 to whip myself into shape. I just have to be sure to let myself heal completely and not hurt myself any further trying to push to hard.

What do you guys think? Should i turn my back on 10 years of service? Or should i do the "smart" thing and retire from the Air Force first then pursue a new career with L.E.?

Every LEO I have talked to says to get out and join them, but every person in the military I talk to says i am stupid if i get out now and start all over with a new career.

WTF am I going to do?

Any opinoins and personal experience stories are welcome and much appreciated!

Thank you for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 6:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Re: Torn! Dont know what to do...

You're 28, right? And after 10 more years you can do the retirement with benefits thing?
So you'll still be under 40 when you're out of the Air Force, when you'll still have plenty of years to chase other dreams and not have thrown away the Air Force.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 6:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 35

Can you arrange to have a someone run you through the PT requirements to see if you have a reasonable chance of making the grade in that respect? If you can't, and end up staying where you are, at least you won't have unrealistic regrets..

If by being violent you mean Islam prescribes expansion of its rule through warfare and is therefore violent then so be it. - SPDUDE
See you at Grattan June 25-27 2007 !
Email me for info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 7:06 PM
MSF Ridercoach

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via MSN to Getsome

Military retirement is unfortunately not worth a **** anymore unless you stay in for 35 years or so. That's one of the reason I got out after a little over 9 years.

My .02 would be to train up for the physical fitness requirements and see if you can make them and get the hell out while you can.

I know how you feel, I miss the military life at times but it did get rather repititiuous. Not to mention we are fighting half the world now and you never know where you might end up getting sent...

Good luck to you no matter what way you decide to go.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
[GySgt Daniel J."Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-'le-Bocage as he led the Fifth Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]
post #5 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 PM

Reputation Power: 31

As someone who is also on the fence with just over 10 years, bored and wanting to do something else, I'd say you're not going to get a straight answer.

Those who'll talk about "throwing away 10 years" don't realize that you can get out and if, after a couple of years, you want back in, guess what? You come back in. In my experience, those who fight hardest against you leaving (with deadend arguments like "throwing it all away") are those who are most afraid of having to do something else.

That said:

Do a lot of research to figure out all your options. One thing I learned from someone I just met a couple of weeks ago is that should you choose to get out and come back in, you'll have the opportunity in many cases to choose a new path in the military.

Weigh the pros and cons as they apply to your life and where you want to be. While the benefits of an early retirement, just in money alone, are decent, 10 years in a job you're unhappy with can make you bitter.

Be honest with yourself. Make sure you can see clearly what you want, how to get there and that you can actually get there from here before you jump. The one thing your current job gives you that you don't have anywhere else is a guaranteed paycheck while you're making that decision.

It already seems like you've made the first steps to make sure you can get there, but it'll take more than a couple of months to fully understand all your options.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's a hard one.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 10:38 PM

Reputation Power: 33

What is the options for you to train in a different field in the Air Force? Just something else to break the monottony and give you better diversity.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I had a much simpler choice for myself a few years back I found that making a list of pro and con helped. Be sure to figure the compounding of both choices. Also consider you will likely work until at least 65 so you have quite a bit more to go.

Good luck and also consider you might have to right choices rather than a right and wrong.

Must obey the sheep dog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page