Finally got legit on Windows XP - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Finally got legit on Windows XP

OK, now this will make some of you happy....

So I have my big-ass Intel dual-core ubermachine that I have run various software installs on. Until recently, it ran just fine with Ubuntu, but had Solaris 10, FreeBSD, and others at one point or another.

Usually it ran as a server for me, and if I needed to run something Windows based, I would fire up VMWare and run XP.

Now, Windows XP is wicked expensive. 250 dollars expensive. This is for the OS only. A rather creaky OS, I might add. Especially since I have a home-built Taiwan special, and not a Dell or HP developed in concert with MS and Intel.

Since I rarely ran Windows, I slept just fine at night using a less-than-legitimate copy of XP.

But, lately I have needed to run my Apple 30" Cinema Display on this machine, running Windows apps, mainly Visio, AutoCAD, and Outlook. The 30" display causes all sorts of havoc with systems, especially Linux. You could get it running after LOTS of coaxing, but the performance was terrible. Like 300 baud terrible.

So, I finally succomed and made XP my main OS on this machine, with VMWare running any *nix or BSD stuff on it. The display works great with it, but it's still XP. The biggest problem is that the Windows Genuine Advantage validation was becoming a pain in the ass. Manually downloading hotfixes for things was just not worth it, so I ended up with a vulnerable machine with hacked versions of the legitcheck.dll file.

Finally, MS "automagically" pushed a new version of the WGA DLLs, and now it constantly bitches at me. It really is annoying.

So today, I went and bought Windows XP. I am going to end up expensing it anyway, so it's not that bad a hit on my wallet. But I thought it might cheer some of you up out there that some of us actually do break down and buy this crap.

OK, rant is over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:16 PM

Re: Finally got legit on Windows XP

That display ultimately kicked your ass then?

I'm surprised nobody has a reliable set up in Linux for that display.

post #3 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post

That display ultimately kicked your ass then?

I'm surprised nobody has a reliable set up in Linux for that display.
Oh it works, just very, very slow. ATI and nVidia have proprietary drivers, not open source, so the Linux folks are at their mercy.

It's actually only the 2D stuff that's slow, the 3D engine is lightning fast. But VMware is all 2D, as is Firefox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:17 PM

You can get the OEM version for ~$125 at TigerDirect.com.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
OK, now this will make some of you happy....

So I have my big-ass Intel dual-core ubermachine that I have run various software installs on. Until recently, it ran just fine with Ubuntu, but had Solaris 10, FreeBSD, and others at one point or another.

Usually it ran as a server for me, and if I needed to run something Windows based, I would fire up VMWare and run XP.

Now, Windows XP is wicked expensive. 250 dollars expensive. This is for the OS only. A rather creaky OS, I might add. Especially since I have a home-built Taiwan special, and not a Dell or HP developed in concert with MS and Intel.

Since I rarely ran Windows, I slept just fine at night using a less-than-legitimate copy of XP.

But, lately I have needed to run my Apple 30" Cinema Display on this machine, running Windows apps, mainly Visio, AutoCAD, and Outlook. The 30" display causes all sorts of havoc with systems, especially Linux. You could get it running after LOTS of coaxing, but the performance was terrible. Like 300 baud terrible.

So, I finally succomed and made XP my main OS on this machine, with VMWare running any *nix or BSD stuff on it. The display works great with it, but it's still XP. The biggest problem is that the Windows Genuine Advantage validation was becoming a pain in the ass. Manually downloading hotfixes for things was just not worth it, so I ended up with a vulnerable machine with hacked versions of the legitcheck.dll file.

Finally, MS "automagically" pushed a new version of the WGA DLLs, and now it constantly bitches at me. It really is annoying.

So today, I went and bought Windows XP. I am going to end up expensing it anyway, so it's not that bad a hit on my wallet. But I thought it might cheer some of you up out there that some of us actually do break down and buy this crap.

OK, rant is over.

Traitor!!!!

I no it hurts. I have a machine at home that is XP. It is not my go to computer. The wife and kids use it. It is kinda nice to have it once in a while. It does play nice with my local network and I am still able to access my Linux server using Samba. So, it's all good. Now when you start ditching your other boxes, then you need to seek help...
post #6 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colryn View Post

Traitor!!!!

I no it hurts. I have a machine at home that is XP. It is not my go to computer. The wife and kids use it. It is kinda nice to have it once in a while. It does play nice with my local network and I am still able to access my Linux server using Samba. So, it's all good. Now when you start ditching your other boxes, then you need to seek help...
Oh trust me, the G5 next to it, the MacBook pro in the next room, the MacMini in the closet, and my MythTV box are all still virus free.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConqSoft View Post
You can get the OEM version for ~$125 at TigerDirect.com.
Yeah, I got OEM from the place up the street for 120.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Oh it works, just very, very slow. ATI and nVidia have proprietary drivers, not open source, so the Linux folks are at their mercy.
Right, but (speaking as a guy well out of his element now) isn't there a way to "hack" that software?

post #9 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
Right, but (speaking as a guy well out of his element now) isn't there a way to "hack" that software?
Not really. It's really kind of retarded how ATI and nVidia treat it too, IMO. They say that if they opened up the card's interface, then the competition would know their secrets.

I am not a hardware developer, but I don't see how directing a GPU to draw boxes on a screen is gonna give away trade secrets.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:27 PM

Taiwanese companies man (not as bad as Japan though)...they're always convinced everyone is out to steal their stuff...they'd know since they all do it to each other.

post #11 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:34 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to Repeater

WOW you got mythtv to work. it kicked my butt into submision! I thought Nividea had linux drivers.

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #12 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
WOW you got mythtv to work. it kicked my butt into submision! I thought Nividea had linux drivers.
Yup, I have had MythTV running for quite a while. I actually plan to expand the main box out to have 3 standard def and 1 High-def tuners in it, and then use the front end on the TVs we have in the house.

nVidia and ATI both have drivers, they just suck ass.
post #13 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:45 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

You think paying for it will stop all the annoying 'wizards' the I am out of date so put me on automated takeover mode popups

Well my copy was always legit and I am resisting giving the bastids access to scan me. Thankfully that bad boy seldom touches the web so I just let it slide into out of date oblivion.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 7:47 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

only thing winblows is good for is connecting my phone too it and the more important thing POWER COMMANDER software. luckily my sister has a laptop so I can take it out to the bike if need be.

TRAITOR

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Its ok I have a quarterback size dell precision with a straight XP license that I got bs at and nuked with ubuntu. Only to find that the gpu does not like ubuntu at all

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page