HDTV rocks! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 1:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

HDTV rocks!

Just got my HD cable box yesterday and I have to admit it is awesome. Cant wait for some NFL action. I tried switching from two ESPN channels playing the same baseball game and found the difference to be astounding. The regular channel had less of the game in the screen compared to the HD.
Ive had my tv for about 6 months but figured the HD channels would be cost prohibitive. Turns out its just $6 extra a month. Go get yourself an HD tv today people!

Nerve rackin' sons a.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 1:28 PM

Reputation Power: 32

Re: HDTV rocks!

Boy, that's for sure. The costs have finally come down to the point where it's not too bad. We got ours about two months ago, and I'm still blown away by the picture quality.
post #3 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 1:29 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm waiting for the the HD DVRs to come down in price a bit more. I wouldn't watch TV without my TiVo. But you are right, makes a big difference.

ONE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 1:51 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via MSN to Purpdust

I resently pick up a Toshiba 1080P DLP, I pick it up on Saturday
post #5 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 2:22 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevcs View Post
I'm waiting for the the HD DVRs to come down in price a bit more. I wouldn't watch TV without my TiVo. But you are right, makes a big difference.
We have an HD DVR from the cable company right now, it's an extra 7 bucks a month. Not too bad, but the interface blows total ass.

It won't be much longer before I add an HD tuner card to my MythTV box, then everything will be good to go.

I have a motorcycle addiction... and I get my fix elsewhere.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 2:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I could have got the DVR cable box for a couple dollars more but I'll wait to see if there are any shows that are worth recording.

post #7 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 3:01 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike

Quote:

LG makes a 42" HD LCD with a built-in HD DVR pretty sweet...checked it out at BestBuy yesterdiddy....

actually, I have decided to "upgrade" my home entertainment system(just a plain old 27" Philips.... ) I am leaning more towards LCD over Plasma as I've been told Plasmas suffer from image burn-in...so, I am looking for something in the 40"+ range, HD of course, 720p or 1080i, HDMI, USB and DVI inputs....prices have fallen pretty good as of late, but will probably fall even more in early '07....

"Make your next move your best move"

-The King of the South, T.I.-

My BlogSpace
post #8 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

All HDTVs are capable of "burning in" images, just dont watch a particular channel with scrolling bars such as CNN for long periods.
I bought a Sony WEGA 42" projection screen HDTV. Really light and compact for a 42". It is about 15"s deep and has only 1 1/2" of console on either side of the screen. It had the best screen of all the tv's I looked at. I wanted a 50" plasma but ran into a problem. We have a cut out above our fireplace where the tv goes. I had to find a tv that would fit in the space. The Sony fit the space best leaving only 1/2 inch on either side. Reminds me of the commercial where the guy says "I can still see a little daylight."

post #9 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikMike View Post
LG makes a 42" HD LCD with a built-in HD DVR pretty sweet...checked it out at BestBuy yesterdiddy....

actually, I have decided to "upgrade" my home entertainment system(just a plain old 27" Philips.... ) I am leaning more towards LCD over Plasma as I've been told Plasmas suffer from image burn-in...so, I am looking for something in the 40"+ range, HD of course, 720p or 1080i, HDMI, USB and DVI inputs....prices have fallen pretty good as of late, but will probably fall even more in early '07....
Although I bought a Samsung 40" LCD last year and I'm very happy with it, I would recommend the Sony Bravia 40" LCD over mine. I've seen it at some stores around 2200 bucks which is almost 1000 cheaper than a year ago.
Last I checked for the HD DVR they were going for around 300-600 plus monthly fees of course. So, for now, I'll wait a bit more.

ONE.
post #10 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 4:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to Purpdust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel954 View Post
All HDTVs are capable of "burning in" images
Capable yes, probable no.

The myth abour plasmas burning in easy is only that a myth. I got DLP because is is the best for Gaming plus best bag for the buck when it come to size. Just price out a DLP 50" 1080P with any 1080P Plasma. you willsee what I mean.
post #11 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 4:47 PM

Reputation Power: 23

I got a Toshiba 62" DLP about 6 months ago, and the picture is awesome. I just wish there was more content in HD, we only get 12 channels now. I think they're adding three more next month though, including ESPN2 HD. I don't have any game consoles yet, but I think I might have to get something before winter sets in. If they ever release the PS3 I might be able to get a PS2 for not too much $$$ and finally get to play TT.
post #12 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 6:19 PM

Reputation Power: 25

If you haven't bought one yet, I'd wait just a little bit longer. All the current sets have HDMI 1.1 and believe me, you'll want HDMI 1.3
Read up on what is possible with 1.3 if you have the time. I'm waiting for 1.3 HDMI and a solid LED DLP. About one more year

22 days until it begins...
post #13 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_twn View Post
I got a Toshiba 62" DLP about 6 months ago, and the picture is awesome. I just wish there was more content in HD, we only get 12 channels now. I think they're adding three more next month though, including ESPN2 HD. I don't have any game consoles yet, but I think I might have to get something before winter sets in. If they ever release the PS3 I might be able to get a PS2 for not too much $$$ and finally get to play TT.
I've got a 50" DLP and the Xbox360 looks great on it!

I don't know how cheap the PS2 will go, but I doubt it'll get much cheaper once the PS3 is out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16879100017
post #14 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 8:27 PM

I have a Sony XBR910 34inch WS. Its a CRT, so its not as large as some others, but the picture quality is unmatched. Wait until SED technology comes out, you will get the PQ of a CRT and also the size of a dlp/lcd/plasma. SED technology boasts a 100,000:1 contrast ratio!
SED TV Technology

2001 CBR929RR R/B
2006 Honda TRX450ER Red
2006 Kawasaki ZX-10 Black

http://www.lp.org/issues/issues.shtml
post #15 of 30 Old 09-07-2006, 8:36 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
If you haven't bought one yet, I'd wait just a little bit longer. All the current sets have HDMI 1.1 and believe me, you'll want HDMI 1.3
Read up on what is possible with 1.3 if you have the time. I'm waiting for 1.3 HDMI and a solid LED DLP. About one more year
Though I don't doubt your info about what's coming down the pipe, every TV thread posted you tell people to wait.

I've been hearing there's big overcapacity in LCD right now, good if you like them.

I've been pretty happy with my Samsung DLP but I wish I'd bought plasma over it as I see rainbows occasionally. I've heard the dual chips help this...but haven't really looked into it as I'm not changing TVs for a long time...

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page