WHAT? State of Emergency? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 1:52 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
Re: WHAT? State of Emergency?

I'm in Delaware, on the 'Delmarva' peninsula. We're bordered by the Delaware River (close to the bay) on one side, and the Chesapeake Bay on the other. Delaware is a very flat state, with mostly soybean and chicken farms in the lower half of the state (I'm in the north part), and the average elevation of the state overall is something on the order of 12 feet over sea level(&#33. Flooding is certainly a concern, as is major damage potential at our (Atlantic) beach resort communities.

Now, sometime tomorrow, Hurricane Isabel is going to make landfall somewhere on the eastern seaboard. Last I heard, it was going to be somewhere near the Outer Banks (NC), over 400 miles south of here. And today is beautiful; sunny and 80 degrees.

By declaring a state of emergency, as the Governor of Delaware just did (pre-emptively) for Thursday, 9/18, we cannot do a thing tomorrow; can't drive anywhere; can't go to work; kids will be out of school...

I'm all for being prepared, but is it wise to take this action and potentially cause panic and major expense to businesses and the state (for enforcing the rules during the emergency), or would it be wiser to wait until something actually happens (that warrants taking emergency action)? My guess is that we'll get a lot of wind and rain in the late afternoon, but not much else. Granted, we may see some flooding; there was flooding here (even to our north and west) on Monday, with people being rescued from rooftops, losing homes, cars, boats, etc... I just don't know that declaring an emergency is the best thing to do. I guess that's why they don't pay me to make big decisions like that.

That said, my thoughts will be with those who are much closer to the storm's eventual path. I wish you all well, and hope you are spared the devastation a storm like this can bring.

What are your thoughts (particularly those in the mid-Atlantic seaboard states)? What's going on with storm preparations in your state that's affecting you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 2:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

State of emergency here in VA. too Taz.
People are hitting the Home Depots and grocery stores like madmen.There's nothing said about work or schools closing.It is a big concern that we've had soo much rain as you have and it won't take a whole bunch for flooding.I know friends who work at Target and they say they've sold out of flashlights and batteries.
I guess where you are it's still possible the thing might turn and come directly your way,causing the early emergency.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 2:14 PM

Reputation Power: 31

NJ is making preparations, particularly in my county and others that were devastated by Floyd. I've lived here my entire life and have seen many tropical storms/hurricanes and the resulting damage (Agnes, Doria, etc.) but never has it been worse than Floyd. No state of emergency has been declared here yet. It's been wait-and-see so far, which makes sense to me. Same story with the Home Depot items.
We did bring in the grill, picnic tables, and bird feeders, though. And filled gas cans for the generator if it's needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 2:16 PM

Reputation Power: 25

And here I thought this was another R1 vs. everything thread,

Good luck up there and be safe.

22 days until it begins...
post #5 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 2:40 PM

Reputation Power: 21

I guess it doesn't hurt to be prepared, but storms are so unpredictable, even the experts will tell you that the timeframe to accurately predict the path is quite small.
I hope yall don't get hit too hard.

GIT-R-DONE
post #6 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 2:58 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Better safe than sorry.

As for me, I've started my preparations too. I put the bike in the garage 'cause I figure we're in for a couple days of rain. *phew* Glad that's out of the way.

People knew the storm was coming... why didn't they stock up sooner? To avoid the 'christmas rush' and the imminent price hike of all things canned?

Jordan H.
The three most feared words in racing, "Powered by Honda".
post #7 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 4:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

I believe the main reasoning behind calling the state of emergency is to unlock funds that are locked away in 'emergency reserves' and to allow the use of the local National Guard.
Is it needed right this moment? I don't know, but my guess is that it was declared for just that. The use of the Nat'l. Guard to help with preparations.
Of course, the Guard will all be riding R1s, too - just to be sure they can do everything and access all areas necessary.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 5:48 PM

Reputation Power: 17

We were talking about Floyd today at work. I was out in AZ when Floyd came through, so I don't know how much damage it caused. Looking it up on the web, it looks like it didn't make landfall until it was well north of the usual first land encounter around Hatteras. What were the winds like when the storm got here to NJ?

I grew up in MD and for all of the hurricane hubbub (Hugo, Gloria, ...) that we had over the years, they were never the whopper storms that everyone made them out to be. I had friends who had more damage done by a regular storm system than by any of the hurricanes that came through.

Maybe I should be more cautious, but my sensibility says that by the time that thing gets here to the Philly area, it'll just be gales and some water (which will be the worst, because the ground is saturated, and it is going to flood like mad). We really don't have a lot of data points for hurricanes that come ashore, so these models are suspect anyways... I am going for Yuengs and Wings on Thursday night... Maybe I'll stop by West Marine for a little insurance, though... heheheh
post #9 of 9 Old 09-17-2003, 7:00 PM

Reputation Power: 31

When Floyd hit NJ it wasn't really all that windy...I've seen much windier storms that weren't hurricanes. It's just that it rained a lot before Floyd hit, then Floyd hung around and dumped an incredible amount of rain. Not much warning...the flood waters rose quicker than ever. I was in one of the hardest hit towns helping with cleanup. One elderly couple had gone to bed, things seemed fine. At 1 am they were awakened by their little dog barking. The dog was stuck in the stairway banister. In a very short time, the water had risen to the second floor. They had to be rescued by boat. It was awful. These folks lost everything. Houses had water up to the second story for days before it receded.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page