Surreal Life Experiences - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 6:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Surreal Life Experiences

Today I had the pleasure of going out to the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Southeastern Washington State for work. I had to do some work at the new Waste Treatment Plant, the facility that will take in "high level waste" and contain it within lead glass slag, so that it can be buried without too much fear of leaking.

The awesomeness of being at Hanford and seeing where the whole nuclear game began was pretty immense. So was getting the whole scoop on the history of the place, where it is going in the future, etc.

But one of those "Whoa, how the hell did I end up here" moments was when I was walking through the area where they will bring in the material that is so "hot" the conveyor has to keep moving at a set rate, or it will cook the room. I just stopped dead in my tracks, and just looked around for a minute. In a few years, humans will not be able to step foot in that room for a long time. Gleaming stainless steel and concrete was the theme. It had a very surreal feel about it.

Anyone else ever had one of those moments? What was it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 6:57 PM

Re: Surreal Life Experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Today I had the pleasure of going out to the Hanford Nuclear Reservation in Southeastern Washington State for work. I had to do some work at the new Waste Treatment Plant, the facility that will take in "high level waste" and contain it within lead glass slag, so that it can be buried without too much fear of leaking.

The awesomeness of being at Hanford and seeing where the whole nuclear game began was pretty immense. So was getting the whole scoop on the history of the place, where it is going in the future, etc.

But one of those "Whoa, how the hell did I end up here" moments was when I was walking through the area where they will bring in the material that is so "hot" the conveyor has to keep moving at a set rate, or it will cook the room. I just stopped dead in my tracks, and just looked around for a minute. In a few years, humans will not be able to step foot in that room for a long time. Gleaming stainless steel and concrete was the theme. It had a very surreal feel about it.

Anyone else ever had one of those moments? What was it?
Watching a white blip go red as it crossed the coast of Alaska on the big "underground" screen with the blue ones too far away to intercept in 1968 . . .
post #3 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech View Post
Watching a white blip go red as it crossed the coast of Alaska on the big "underground" screen with the blue ones too far away to intercept in 1968 . . .
I actually watched "WarGames" on the plane ride up here. It seemed fitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
I actually watched "WarGames" on the plane ride up here. It seemed fitting.
I think I sweated about 10 pounds in 5 minutes watching that little drama unfold. I do recall a bit of a drinking binge with the rest of the crew the following evening .
post #5 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Bad acid, eh?
post #6 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:21 PM

I got attacked by an elephant in Thailand. Bastard knocked me down, tried to step on me then stuck his tusk in my leg

It's no nuclear waste, but it was definatly kinda surreal! Its funny... while it was happening all I could think about was "Damn, I hope someone gets a picture of this!"
post #7 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:24 PM

Quote:
I think I sweated about 10 pounds in 5 minutes watching that little drama unfold. I do recall a bit of a drinking binge with the rest of the crew the following evening .
Man, no kidding.

My most surreal wasn't very dangerous. My first business trip was not long after graduating (as in days) and I'd just received a sign on bonus check worth more money than I'd made in the previous 3 years right before I left.

I left the States alone and met up with our local field guy about 30 mins before the meeting. By now I'm really wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do.

I walked in to a large cell phone maker in Scandanavia and realized, screwing this up (I was there solving a problem) would cost millions, and result in several people "higher up" than me possibly getting fired. It would also make it into the press, though not with my name attached.

I don't think anything you do in college prepares you for that.

I only have a couple of minor incidents dealing with DoD type stuff, so nothing as dramatic as many others here will have.

post #8 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:27 PM

I have one experience with hiking in the mountains while a local NG unit was doing a training exercise.
Nothing has ever scared me like that did.
post #9 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:34 PM

Spill it.

(I have a couple of good ones backpacking involving aircraft)

post #10 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Seeing a multiple warhead ICBM come in

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Huh? Please elaborate for someone who had AWEFUL high school history teachers.

Bay of Pigs stuff?
post #12 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 7:43 PM

Don't think I really have anything like that. Closest I can think of:

When I was a kid (maybe 11) I watched a younger kid ride his bike right out into a cross street (25 mph zone) and right in front of a Chevy Chevette. Poor guy driving didn't have a chance to stop swerve or anything. Nailed the kid, and I watched the whole thing in slo-mo.

Kid was mostly okay save for a broken leg. Dude was really shaken up. As an 11 y/o I felt bad for him.

Another time I watched a friend of mine get his head bashed into then vents of a locker. He proceeded to dump blood all over me as I shoved him into the office to get him help. Again, slo-mo.

HD
post #13 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
Spill it.

(I have a couple of good ones backpacking involving aircraft)
Just a few of us pals during the summer when we were ~13. Hiked up the front of Squaw Peak mountain (I'm pretty sure you know which one that is) and over the top to a spot that was well frequented by many in the area.
Problem is, that's not the main trail so there was no warnings like there were down on the road up the backside to the trail stating it was closed off for exercises.
We get up over the top, start down this trail to the main area when all of the sudden three guys pop up out of nowhere fully armed, wearing makeup.
The one guys whispers pretty loudly at us to either get down or turn around and go back.
We were literally frozen in our tracks for a minute or so, scared to death.
It was shortly after Red Dawn had come out, so that was running through our minds.
We just sat down and hid. They came over and told us what was going on, and after they had disappeared back into the trees we high tailed it back over the front of the mountain.
Seriously, that scared me like nothing else ever has.

As for aircraft stories, I remember more than once being up in the mountains camping or on the hunt or something and having the sounds of a fighter jet of some sort go by with no warnings or no lights as well.
post #14 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 8:10 PM

Reputation Power: 50

My biggest so far is probably having to say goodbye to all my family and friends not knowing if I'd ever see them again, board a plane and fly halfway around the world with my immediate family and 8 suitcases. There's a few other ones too, but not really worth mentioning.
post #15 of 44 Old 10-23-2006, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116 View Post
J
It was shortly after Red Dawn had come out, so that was running through our minds.
BWAAAA AHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page