Mustang performance - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 8:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Mustang performance

We were talking about mustang mods in the thread about Kawboy69's new ride, and I thought I would go on about my son's Stang for a bit...
He is working at a Mustang performance shop now (dream job for the little Ford freak), and finally got a chance to mod his own car. I don't have pics yet, will post them in the next couple days, though.
I got to spend a few hours at the shop Saturday with them while they did some dyno work on it. That thing is awesome! When I was building street rods (in the 70's, yes they did have internal combustion engines, you little bratty kids), our only measure of sucess on a mod was whether or not it would now beat Scotty's Charger! Well, till we got to the strip, which didn't happen much. That Dyno is great, any adjustment nets imediate info, good or bad.
So, after boost and air fuel adjustments, the final numbers went from 367/414 to 395/455. There is a fair amount more to be found, but it will be a process over time, at least on this motor.
Oh, yeah, mods to this point are:
2000 Mustang GT,btw
Helion Turbo kit
some kind of electronic boost control
Twin Magnaflow mufflers at the end of the turbo pipes
Cobra 6 spd trans
Cobra IRS rear
Tube type K member w/coilover shocks frt susp
Probably more I don't remember
Not sure how much power this engine will generate, The stock heads flow ability will probably be the limiting factor. But, he has a 5.4 lightning block on the engine stand waiting for forged rods and 4v heads to be installed !
Should get REAL interesting!

Conquer yourself rather than the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 8:38 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Re: Mustang performance

Posting this without pics is tantamount to asking for a beat down...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #3 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 9:14 AM

Reputation Power: 0

That sounds awesome. Best get some pics posted soon if you want to save face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 9:23 AM

post #5 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 2:48 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

If he's running a stock shortblock I would expect he's pretty close to pushing it with those numbers. The huge limiting factor in the 4.6 motor is the fact that it has cast rotating assembly parts. When you get to about 400rwhp on the stocker, you're really pushing the limits, even with a spot on tune. Hellion makes a great kit, I assume he's running their single 62mm? Once he throws that 5.4 in there, hold on for some huge numbers. You can throw gigantic amounts of boost at a built 5.4, even more so a DOHC.

My car is pushing it's limits right now so I need to buy a built shortblock for it and throw some blower cams in it.

EDIT: Figured I'd add some pics. She looks a lot different then when I bought it and posted the first few shots.
Attached Thumbnails
blower092.jpg‎   blower692.jpg‎   blower094.jpg‎  

Dan

Last edited by ReaperAZ; 11-01-2006 at 3:05 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 3:26 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I had a mustang for 8 years. Last one was a 95 which I sold last year. I miss it, but I don't miss the traffic tickets. I don't get it really I ride the bike the same or even faster than the Mustang and cops would never pull me over.

I really like the 03 04 Cobras. Just don't like getting pulled over so I'll be sticking with the Titan and my bike.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #7 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 3:38 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

It's funny you say that cause the cops don't even look twice when I'm in my car. Sure it's not as fast as my bike, yet, but she will be. I get more comments from them then I ever did on my bike. Just the other day at a light an officer was sitting next to me and heard my blower. Started asking all kinds of questions. If I was on my bike he would have been running my plate and following me after we left the light.

Dan
post #8 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 9:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ View Post
If he's running a stock shortblock I would expect he's pretty close to pushing it with those numbers. The huge limiting factor in the 4.6 motor is the fact that it has cast rotating assembly parts. When you get to about 400rwhp on the stocker, you're really pushing the limits, even with a spot on tune. Hellion makes a great kit, I assume he's running their single 62mm? Once he throws that 5.4 in there, hold on for some huge numbers. You can throw gigantic amounts of boost at a built 5.4, even more so a DOHC.

My car is pushing it's limits right now so I need to buy a built shortblock for it and throw some blower cams in it.

EDIT: Figured I'd add some pics. She looks a lot different then when I bought it and posted the first few shots.
Nice car Reaper! You are right about the stock engine. Ford motor guy said the bottom end is only reliable to about 475 to 500 crank hp.
The new motor will get all forged internals, should handle MUCHO hp! Crank up the boost, add NOS to cool the intake charge=? Should get crazy!

post #9 of 21 Old 11-01-2006, 9:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
, I wish I had a camera available during the install! I will take some pics tomorrow, need to put it on a lift to get the exhaust view. Looks like orgy night at the reptile house!
OK, I will get to work on pics, though I do enjoy a good !
And a ,and a , but that may all be too personal!

post #10 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 12:16 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelover View Post
We were talking about mustang mods in the thread about Kawboy69's new ride, and I thought I would go on about my son's Stang for a bit...
He is working at a Mustang performance shop now (dream job for the little Ford freak), and finally got a chance to mod his own car. I don't have pics yet, will post them in the next couple days, though.
I got to spend a few hours at the shop Saturday with them while they did some dyno work on it. That thing is awesome! When I was building street rods (in the 70's, yes they did have internal combustion engines, you little bratty kids), our only measure of sucess on a mod was whether or not it would now beat Scotty's Charger! Well, till we got to the strip, which didn't happen much. That Dyno is great, any adjustment nets imediate info, good or bad.
So, after boost and air fuel adjustments, the final numbers went from 367/414 to 395/455. There is a fair amount more to be found, but it will be a process over time, at least on this motor.
Oh, yeah, mods to this point are:
2000 Mustang GT,btw
Helion Turbo kit
some kind of electronic boost control
Twin Magnaflow mufflers at the end of the turbo pipes
Cobra 6 spd trans
Cobra IRS rear
Tube type K member w/coilover shocks frt susp
Probably more I don't remember
Not sure how much power this engine will generate, The stock heads flow ability will probably be the limiting factor. But, he has a 5.4 lightning block on the engine stand waiting for forged rods and 4v heads to be installed !
Should get REAL interesting!

It sure sounds like going to get interesting real quick..Thats is a be great feeling to see your kid follow their dreams..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post

You kill me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperAZ View Post

Sweet car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelover View Post
, I wish I had a camera available during the install! I will take some pics tomorrow, need to put it on a lift to get the exhaust view. Looks like orgy night at the reptile house!
OK, I will get to work on pics, though I do enjoy a good !
And a ,and a , but that may all be too personal!

If you like to talk **** be sure you have the ass to back it up !! If not SHUT THE FU*K UP !!!!
post #11 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 AM

The 5.4 is ultra heavy, and very tall, but it sure will handle some boost. Personally I wouldn't do it, but if you're a drag guy, you can more than overcome the weight with a couple of PSI...

Nice cars guys.

post #12 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 2:05 AM

I don't know much about the Mustang as far as performance goes but my mechanic friend really loves the late 80's notchback. He said it was lighter then the hatch and is really easy to work on. He has one he dropped a 351 in with nitrous and some other work. He was pulling mid 10s last time I talked to him but that was almost 2 years ago when I was last home.

Oh man I'm reading my post and I'm living in the past with cars. Nowadays all I care about is that it takes me from A to B, and if I can sleep in the back on cold nights camping all the better.
post #13 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 8:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRider View Post
I don't know much about the Mustang as far as performance goes but my mechanic friend really loves the late 80's notchback. He said it was lighter then the hatch and is really easy to work on. He has one he dropped a 351 in with nitrous and some other work. He was pulling mid 10s last time I talked to him but that was almost 2 years ago when I was last home.

Oh man I'm reading my post and I'm living in the past with cars. Nowadays all I care about is that it takes me from A to B, and if I can sleep in the back on cold nights camping all the better.
Yeah, I hear ya! Hey wanna buy a nice Excursion? Plenty of room for the camping! We can discuss fuel economy at some other time.

post #14 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 8:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
The 5.4 is ultra heavy, and very tall, but it sure will handle some boost. Personally I wouldn't do it, but if you're a drag guy, you can more than overcome the weight with a couple of PSI...

Nice cars guys.
Yes the weight/height issue bothers me, too. The car is not supposed to be a drag only weapon. He has some plan to mount it lower in the cradle I think, don't know about that though.

post #15 of 21 Old 11-02-2006, 8:52 AM Thread Starter

OK, here are some quick pics!
Hopefully I can get one on a lift to capture the exhaust. Hopefully he will clean the engine up before that, too!
Attached Thumbnails
100_3627.JPG‎   100_3628.JPG‎   100_3629.JPG‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page