Big Three Autos and Rebates - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

View Poll Results: Will we see factory rebates from the "Big Three"?
Yes, they won't have a choice. 7 63.64%
No, the cars/trucks will move on their own. 0 0%
Don't care. I'll never buy another vehicle from those dumbasses. 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 8:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Big Three Autos and Rebates

An article in the WSJ Online this morning "Housing Slup Is Risk to Big Three Rebound" says that basically the demand for cars has dropped in the US. Or is has at least for the big three. The article doesn't state it specifically but I get the impression that it is due mostly to the rise in gas prices and the effects this has on Full Size truck drivers. The big three sell a ton of p/u trucks...or at least they have in the past.

The article quotes an investor that thinks that the rebates we've seen from the big three in the past won't happen again to increase the demand.

I'm skeptical. GM has already begun 10yr/100,000 mile warranties, and I'll bet that come summer time if the new Silverados aren't moving and they are sitting on a pile of inventory, we'll start seeing the $4000 rebates again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 9:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Big Three Autos and Rebates

Buy a Prius. Don't you know that it is beyond any doubt of any kind that trucks are causing global warming, and that it is proven beyond any doubt of any kind that peak oil is coming and we will all die?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 9:27 AM

It does not really matter to me and I voted that way. All but one of my vehicles are Honda. The other is Nissan that I hope to trade in soon for a Civic. I just have no faith in US autos. I do get to test ride some US stuff when I travel. I am amazed at the quality (or lack there of) of the cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 9:40 AM

Reputation Power: 42

We've had 5 trouble-free Amerikan vehicles in a row now...I'd buy one again if it fit my needs. Also had good luck with the imports we've owned. It's more about busting through the marketing hype and doing your research before you buy than anything else...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
We've had 5 trouble-free Amerikan vehicles in a row now...I'd buy one again if it fit my needs. Also had good luck with the imports we've owned. It's more about busting through the marketing hype and doing your research before you buy than anything else...
Vote darn ya!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 10:42 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Publik polls suck bongwater...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 11:28 AM

I thought I heard they were already coming back on a few models.

It is interesting to note that the "slump" in sales is only because the sales for the last few years were much more than the market really demanded, fueled by the rebate frenzy, and now that things are back to normal it is all listed as bad news. It is like saying all of the retail stores are failing because they aren't selling product as fast as they did the day after Thanksgiving, so we should not shop there anymore.

When cars and trucks were selling at record paces throughout the worst economic slump in most of our life times, something definitely wasn't right.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
Publik polls suck bongwater...
Whatever. No different than stating your opinion in a thread. Besides some people's votes count more than others.

HD
post #9 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 11:33 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Ford has smartened up and cut production capacity... that will help them... a bit. Detroit still doesn't offer an appealing small or midsize car though, and you'll see heavy rebates on them next fall. If you back out the daily rental sales, the big 3's retail numbers on passenger cars are especially weak. GM has bet the farm on their new full size trucklines while key parts of their product line have stagnated. (Small and medium SUVs, minivans, cars) meanwhile Toyota is about to steal a big chunk of their market share with their new truck.

And then there's this asshole...
post #10 of 10 Old 11-27-2006, 11:38 AM

The new Ford Fusion and Merc Milan are doing pretty good right now ... so Ford is back in the game for the midsize ... still lacking (in my opinion) in appealing options for smaller (Focus ... a generation of so back from what is available elsewhere) and larger (500 ... bland) cars. Decent values (quality and cost), but nothing to set them apart.

Ford needs to close many plants, and have for a long long time. They might actually do it this time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page