Samsung Blackjack - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 4:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Samsung Blackjack

Anyone have one? Thoughts? Tips?

Did I just blow it buying a Win-phone?

My RAZR is finally dead and I had to pick up something new before a trip tomorrow.

Planned to grab another RAZR or maybe a SLVR, but fell absolutely in love with the form factor vs features of the Blackjack and made an uncharacteristic spur of the moment purchase.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:28 PM

Re: Samsung Blackjack

Haven't used the Blackjack, but use it's design template (the Moto Q) and have been very happy.
post #3 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:34 PM

It's very similar to the Q, which like most things of this nature, people either love or hate. The Q platform is a very basic, casual user-type of PDA/Smartphone unlike the Treo 700's. If you want a real pda/phone check out the Treo's (P for Palm OS or W for Windows OS). They offer far more options and functionality than the Q and I'm guessing the Blackjack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:40 PM Thread Starter

Already a done deal.

I wanted a phone. #1 importance to me is size and weight. #2 is features. A very distant #3 is price (I don't pay for these things).

Because the size is so close to the RAZR closed, I just had to do it with all the added features. It's the about same width, actually a bit thinner, feels to be about the same weight, and only about 1 cm longer.

I don't think I'll use the web features too much, except for e-mail when I travel, but it'll be nice to have the ability to jump online to get some info if I'm lost or stuck in traffic or whatever.

I dunno, we'll see if I actually use the thing or not.

About the only downside I see is having to lock the phone when I put it in my pocket.

post #5 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:42 PM

Ahhh. Sounds like you picked the right one then. Let us know how it works out.
post #6 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhfirefighter13 View Post
It's very similar to the Q, which like most things of this nature, people either love or hate. The Q platform is a very basic, casual user-type of PDA/Smartphone unlike the Treo 700's. If you want a real pda/phone check out the Treo's (P for Palm OS or W for Windows OS). They offer far more options and functionality than the Q and I'm guessing the Blackjack.
I own a Pocket PC based system that has a bigger screen, more upgrade/.option capability etc., etc. than the Q, but it is gathering dust sitting on my bookshelf. The Q has the easiest to setup OWA interface I have seen, and gets e-mail, tasks, calendar and contacts and honks on big attachment downloads (I suspect that's a function of the network though). If you want a pc, buy one, but if you want a phone that handles Outlook, the Q is a great device.

edit, just read LTL's last line. Use the damn holster and you don't have to lock it. The Qs stock plastic holster rules and buying an accessory case is a waste of money (and you'll still have to lock it when you squeeze it into the case).
post #7 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:47 PM

Do you have Verizon for a provider? Their EVDO system is waaaaay faster than the 1X network....About 16 seconds for a 1 meg file compared to the 1X system of like 2.5 minutes for the same file.

The Q is nice but if you want to be able to edit files or like using a touch screen the Treo is better.
post #8 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:50 PM Thread Starter

Cingular here.

Is it a hopeless cause to integrate freakin' Lotus Notes e-mail onto this phone?

post #9 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 5:53 PM

The only Lotus I'm familiar with is usually found floating in a pond.
post #10 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
I don't think I'll use the web features too much, except for e-mail when I travel, but it'll be nice to have the ability to jump online to get some info if I'm lost or stuck in traffic or whatever.
Whatever. I see lots of "wirelessly posted by..." in your future.
post #11 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 10:31 PM

Does the blackjack do HDSPA/UMTS/WDCMA? Edge is just too damn slow for anything other than casual data usage IMO.

I'm about a month of use into my Q, and I concur with just about everything abtech has said... I tether it to my laptop and get wicked fast internet just about everywhere as well.
post #12 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

UMTS/HSDPA and Quad Band Edge/GPRS

Maybe I should've put more energy into getting a Q...we shall see.

post #13 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean View Post
UMTS/HSDPA and Quad Band Edge/GPRS

Maybe I should've put more energy into getting a Q...we shall see.
have you actually found an area that has UMTS? It'll be cingular's first 3g capable system and will hopefully improve their call quality.

One question, can you turn on and off the UMTS side of the phone or is always on?
post #14 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwilli3 View Post
have you actually found an area that has UMTS? It'll be cingular's first 3g capable system and will hopefully improve their call quality.

One question, can you turn on and off the UMTS side of the phone or is always on?
Improve their call quality? I've yet to hear anything better out of Verizon, Sprint, and Alltel.
post #15 of 32 Old 11-28-2006, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwilli3 View Post

About 15 miles south their BroadBand HSDPA coverage starts according to their map. It is also supposed to be good up in SJ...next time I'm up in SJ it will be a good test because their EDGE/GPRS coverage SUCKS up there.

Here in OC it's reading as on Edge, but it's notably faster with online content than my old RAZR was. Call quality has always been excellent here.

This phone has better speakers which helps too.

No idea if I can turn it off, I messed around in the settings for a second and it kept saying some restricted type message. But I don't know if I was doing the right thing, and the little "Quick Start" manual doesn't mention it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page