Is this enough juice to kill ya? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Is this enough juice to kill ya?

Was working on a machine at work that has 220v 30amp three-phrase running into it. my screwdriver slipped and was about an inch from hitting a contact. I know that 220v 30 amp can kill ya but there is a few guys that have been hit with it in my job and just have to go to the ER but are fine. I figure if 220v single "could" kill is it a guarantee certain death with the 220v three phase?

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:11 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Is this enough juice to kill ya?

I would ducttape that screwdriver to my hand if all there was between me and death was an inch or two. yeeks.
post #3 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:19 AM

Reputation Power: 0

turn the power off first. here at the shipyard nearly everything is 440 3 phase and there have been people hit from it and walked away. i think it is mailny the amperag that kills you. amperage can throw your heart out of rythem. everytime some one here gets shocked, no matter how much voltage or amperag, they have to get a ekg done to check out everything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:23 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegen View Post
Was working on a machine at work that has 220v 30amp three-phrase running into it. my screwdriver slipped and was about an inch from hitting a contact. I know that 220v 30 amp can kill ya but there is a few guys that have been hit with it in my job and just have to go to the ER but are fine. I figure if 220v single "could" kill is it a guarantee certain death with the 220v three phase?

Uhhh, steggy, .07 amps can kill you. Turn off the power first.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:26 AM
I found the cure for hope

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via Yahoo to Sunbert

Not if you're a fly.

peas to the kilometers
post #6 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 35

OSHA requires that you have a lockout kit and use it. It is one of the more intelligent things they have ever required, since no one can be completely safe from those kinds of slippages.

Lock the power out and hold the key so no one else can turn it on.

Grainger Industrial Supply

This stuff is cheap, and can save lives. Get some, or if it's in the shop ( likely) USE IT.

If by being violent you mean Islam prescribes expansion of its rule through warfare and is therefore violent then so be it. - SPDUDE
See you at Grattan June 25-27 2007 !
Email me for info.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:32 AM

Reputation Power: 39

You may not even get shocked if the screwdriver has decent insulation, as 208 volts (I seriously doubt you have 220 three phase power) won't jump terribly far without inducement.

You may however be blinded by the evaporating screwdriver shaft as it will toss white hot shrapnel for several feet.

Don't ask how I know . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 9:45 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Was your skin wet? If your skin was dry like it is here in the winter, you might have to put pressure on the terminals to feel the buzz.

Wait until you work with 480 volts. The voltage is high enough to boil tissues (make your fingertips pop off!) Each phase to ground is only 277 volts. Never known anyone that got hurt from it.

I worked with a few people who tried to test the primary side of the substations with their $450 NIST calibrated Fluke multimeter. 14,400 volts turned it into an instant burned piece of toast. Fluke honored their warranty and gave us a new one both times no questions asked! When you open up a large door with a big arm and see fuses with mufflers on them, you know there's serious high voltage in there. The mufflers on high voltage fuses keep the switchgear panels from blowing off when they blow.

I currently work with someone who dropped a wrench in a 2000KVA substation. All the energy went into vaporizing a tiny speck of the wrench into a huge metal plasma fireball of ultraviolet light and heat. He didn't get shocked, but looked like he had major sunburn over most of his body. He came back to work in the hospital gown since his clothes were blown off in the accident. One of the guys at work happens to be a professional photographer. I still have that picture somewhere...

I can tell you what its like to get hit by a 8uF capacitor at 15,000 volts from a cable tester. I heard a loud bang and lost my vision for a few minutes. I was still standing, but I would soon notice my arms were sore as hell. This cable tester would blow holes in cable or cause fluoresent lights to explode into dust, yet didn't burn me for some reason. I measured 8,000 volts left on the capacitor.
post #9 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 AM

Reputation Power: 23

I was working on a 440V 3 phase supply one time, managed to touch one of the terminals with my hand.

Gave me quite a belt, and I nearly fell off the drinks vending machine I was standing on at the time. Survived but my brain has never quite worked properly since.
post #10 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 10:38 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I once touched a nine volt battery to my tongue.

Actually, I used to fix microwave ovens, back when they were expensive enough to warrent fixing. It was so much fun when the bleeder resister to the cap went.
post #11 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Reputation Power: 17

My grand father was shocked with 440v/3 ph at the factory he owned. He had his tongue held with pliers so he wouldn't suffocate. Due to the injuries, he lost his left arm and became diabetic due to electrical shock. His belly and his right hand where also badly burned where the electrical bolts came out of his body.
He survived because the technician he was working with was trained in first aid for electrical shock.

ONE.
post #12 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 10:53 AM

Reputation Power: 45

Yeah...for all the fun stories, there's an equal number of dead guy stories.

Don't mess with this stuff Stegen. You can die.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #13 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbert View Post
Not if you're a fly.

Are you comparing Steg's composition to that of a fly?

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #14 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Lock it out and ground it down to 0 volts.

You can be killed by very little voltage or amperage under the right(or really wrong) conditions. Of course many of people have lived through bolts of lightning. Hows your luck?

When working around electronics its always a good idea to use only one hand your less likely to shock the heart that way. But its better to just discharge the system.

Oh and never forget to unplug a dead machine when replacing the main fuse, opps all my training aside I still make mistakes.
post #15 of 22 Old 12-08-2006, 12:32 PM

Reputation Power: 42

As has been discussed, there are far too many variables in real world situations to determine what "kills"...you can survive very high voltage contact, or kill yourself with a VOM if the situation is right...

In Steg's situation, whether it was a standard household outlet or 3 phase, was of no consequence. He would have contacted ~110 volts (not 220/221) and may or may not have been shocked depending on whether he was grounded, or otherwise completing the circuit...

Phase to neutral or phase to ground contact is far more common than phase to phase where higher voltages can be experienced...

Btw Proto, if you contacted one leg of a 480 3ph, then you were exposed to ~277 volts...phase to phase would be around 400...it's a pretty dramatic difference, trust me...

Steg,
Think about getting some training or instruction, it's really fun and interesting, and could safe you some pain and suffering...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page