arrested for not signing to officers approval - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 6:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

arrested for not signing to officers approval

Last week I was out riding looking for christmas gift for my son on the way home I got pulled over for speeding. The officer saw my accelerate past a merging lane and drop back down. He issued me a ticket came back and had me sign. I have signed for the last 20 years with series of what looks like check marks. (Driver license has the same signature) He said that was not acceptable and asked me to resign the ticket I refused and he arrested me. I may be barking up the wrong tree but I have never been arrested for not sign in the past. Just wondering if any body in Texas know what the laws are and what are my rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 6:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via MSN to hurricane249 Send a message via Yahoo to hurricane249
Re: arrested for not signing to officers approval

I have no clue what the laws are in TX but I would bet in the other 49 states if your signature looks like the one on you DL then that would constitute a legal signature. Sounds to me like there might be an officer in some deep shiite.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 7:05 PM
MSF Ridercoach

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via MSN to Getsome

When it comes in front of the judge you should be walking away with an apology and hopefully a dropped charge for his stupidity.

"Come on you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?"
[GySgt Daniel J."Dan" Daly, USMC; near Lucy-'le-Bocage as he led the Fifth Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 7:09 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I got a ticket in Ky about 3 months ago and i did not sign. That was my first ticket in yrs , i can not recall ever signing for a ticket.

Geradeaus Kann Jeder.
~Herr Henning
post #5 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 7:14 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

You are signing to agree to show in court. I would think that if your signature is similar to that on your drivers license they owe you an apology at the minimum. Sounds more like a cop that was wanting to show authoritie

Must obey the sheep dog
post #6 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 7:27 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I would contact an attorney about the matter. I would also check into making a formal complaint to the officers department about the officer. It may not have been the first time he has done this, and if there is enough complaints, something might get done about about it. Again, check with an attorney before doing this.

btw, being compliant, non threatening and submissive is your best chance of just getting a warning and not getting a ticket.

2001 CBR929RR R/B
2006 Honda TRX450ER Red
2006 Kawasaki ZX-10 Black

http://www.lp.org/issues/issues.shtml
post #7 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 7:42 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Well, from an actual officer's persepective here in FL, if he arrested you for not signing the ticket then you should be able to get out of that for sure. I know here in FL we have to just note that the subject wouldn't sign, but there is no law saying you have to sign the ticket. However, and not saying that you were, but if there is something else that he justified, such as obstruction or anything along those lines it will hold up. But if you were being compliant and just chose not to sign, he'll lose that one.

P.S. - a lawyer is just going to cost you more than the actual ticket, just go explain to the judge what happened and as long as your in the 'right', you'll be fine. Everyone always suggests a lawyer but its pointless with something like this - and with you signed, regardless of what its like, you'll be fine and win that one - not signing anyways will only cause you more grief in the long run

Last edited by Ross954RR; 12-24-2006 at 7:48 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 8:58 PM

Reputation Power: 0

as an officer, here in Missouri if your signature resembles what is on your dl then that is just that,a signature. I think that you will get out of that one for sure. Sorry bout the officer that has a bug up his ass that say!
post #9 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 9:08 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to ihatecrashing Send a message via MSN to ihatecrashing Send a message via Yahoo to ihatecrashing

In Cali you sign as a promise to show up in court, if you don't sign the officer will call a supervisor, and if you still don't sign they will put you in a cell until the soonest possible judge is open. It's just to make sure you show up in court. Sounds to me like you gave a legal signature, like mentioned above, maybe the officer was just power-tripping on "another" crotch rocket rider...
post #10 of 18 Old 12-24-2006, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

this stuff is all weird to me. in MA there isn't even a spot on the tickets to sign. they hand it to you with either an envelope or they write the address in the box in the corner and send you on your way. you only go to court if you request a hearing or if you don't pay in time and they come looking for you and arrest you for not paying the fine.

sounds to me like you'll get off easily. I've gotten off on a lot more bullshit than that.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #11 of 18 Old 12-25-2006, 12:39 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I cannot speak for Texas. However, despite officer Ross's suggestion, I would seek legal help.
The referees and/or judges are much more responsive to attorneys than to civilians. It stinks, but that's the system.

It's better to live and learn than to just learn. - My very own oxymoron.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-25-2006, 3:39 AM
SPY

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to SPY Send a message via MSN to SPY Send a message via Yahoo to SPY

As others have said before... If the signature matches your DL then you are fine.
The LEO had no right to arrest you for something so minimal. If it went down as you described then expect an apology.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-25-2006, 5:02 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Having someone versed in the law to represent you makes a big difference. My lawyer had a practicing judge come in to help represent me when I had an encounter with an officer that did things against policy. The judge on the bench of course yelled at me for a few minutes, dismissed my case, told me to get out of the courtroom, and then started yelling at the officer and prosecutor before I made it out the door. The court is interested in making sure laws can be enforced. Sometimes officers get carried away and become unreasonable. That's why its helpful to have people who study law to help represent you to educate those who need it.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-25-2006, 9:47 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatecrashing View Post
In Cali you sign as a promise to show up in court, if you don't sign the officer will call a supervisor, and if you still don't sign they will put you in a cell until the soonest possible judge is open. It's just to make sure you show up in court. Sounds to me like you gave a legal signature, like mentioned above, maybe the officer was just power-tripping on "another" crotch rocket rider...
There you go. The signature is your promise to appear to face the "charges" against you. The officer may see you as a flight risk for not signing, aka not showing up for court. The officer may arrest you for this providing that said officer takes you before a magistrate ASAP to face the "charges." However said officer must articulate why you appeared to be a flight risk......hostility towards the ticket, you saying "I'm not showing up for court", etc.
Im sure you probably did none of these and sounds like you're gonna get your money back with a big "I'm sorry for being a penis." from said officer.
I hate hearing about power tripping officers (if this is in fact what happened) and would like to say that there are officers out there that know what they are doing.
Last thing, did you point out to the officer that your signature looks the same on your license?

Nerve rackin' sons a.......
post #15 of 18 Old 12-25-2006, 11:31 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by logas View Post
Last week I was out riding looking for christmas gift for my son on the way home I got pulled over for speeding. The officer saw my accelerate past a merging lane and drop back down. He issued me a ticket came back and had me sign. I have signed for the last 20 years with series of what looks like check marks. (Driver license has the same signature) He said that was not acceptable and asked me to resign the ticket I refused and he arrested me. I may be barking up the wrong tree but I have never been arrested for not sign in the past. Just wondering if any body in Texas know what the laws are and what are my rights.
I guess I'm alone in this ... but the first thing I thought when reading your post is why do you sign with a series of check marks? Are you unable to actually sign your name like a normal person?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page