Now Microsoft is a Security Threat to the US - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-25-2003, 1:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Now Microsoft is a Security Threat to the US

They tried suing them for a monopoly...now they'll play terrorism.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm....ft_dc_1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-25-2003, 2:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

'I wouldn't put all of the blame on Microsoft,' Schneier said, 'the problem is the monoculture.'

I've never seen that buzzword before. I like it. It describes our risk-averse, sheeplike, conformist blame-everybody- else McCulture really well.

'Well, gotta go get on my Harley and slam a frappuccino down at Starbucks so I can be awake when I take the wife to Outback for her birthday. Then we're gonna watch 'reality' on the tube....'
post #3 of 5 Old 09-25-2003, 5:03 PM
Fig

Whichever OS is most popular will be a target for hackers. That's just a fact of life. I see part of the problem being that in the ever popular quest for 'user friendliness' we have created a few monsters.

1) People who don't have a clue about computers now have the ability to operate one. Being uneducated as to how they work, they will click anything you put in front of them, including viruses. Handing this capability to the unwashed masses has created this. Which leads into #2

2) This so called 'User Friendly' approach has added a dangerous layer on top of the inner workings. This layer obscures the view of what's really going on in your computer. How many people know how many processes are actually running on their computer? Or even how to find out? I am sure most of us on Fireblades can, but how about Grandma whose skewed perspective of the world is through AOL? This is dangerous in many ways. Sure some will argue that you can drive a car without knowing the internal workings, but this is a different beast. GMC can't control your truck remotely, or have it run to the store for them by installing a package..

The problem is, you have people who shouldn't even be allowed to turn on a computer attaching them to the internet and allowing them to become overrun with viruses or other malicious code, and don't have a clue. Even if they did find out, they rely on other programmers/experts to tell them what to do.

My email blocking program has highlighted something. I have it written to where, when certain conditions (like sending an email to my ex wife's email) are met, it will cut off the sender at that instant. I watched one email try to come through. It would connect from one server, meet the conditions, and get disconnected. A few seconds later, the attempt would be made again, although from another server. This continued on for over 80 attempts. The real problem here is, these weren't real servers the connections were coming from, these were machines like dialup210.44.32.12.pacbell.net, which is not an email server, but someone who is just dialed into the net and doesn't even realize that their machine is being used to pass spam. Whoever it was bounced from machine to machine. I saw ip's resolving to places like earthlink, netzero, aol, pacbell, sbc, and many others. To compound the problem, the actual spammer is now impossible to track because that hijacked machine will have no logs of it's connections, leaving the perpetrator untrackable. *

Houston, we have a problem..
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-25-2003, 5:15 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Fig : 1) People who don't have a clue about computers now have the ability to operate one. Being uneducated as to how they work, they will click anything you put in front of them, including viruses. Handing this capability to the unwashed masses has created this. Which leads into #2
I see this as no different than people driving cars and bikes that they could neither build or even repair....

That's just life...doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to drive....or even looked down upon.

No flames....just mho....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #5 of 5 Old 09-25-2003, 5:34 PM
Fig

Quote:
Baketech : Quote (Fig @ Sep. 25 2003, 3:03pm)1) People who don't have a clue about computers now have the ability to operate one. Being uneducated as to how they work, they will click anything you put in front of them, including viruses. Handing this capability to the unwashed masses has created this. Which leads into #2
I see this as no different than people driving cars and bikes that they could neither build or even repair....

That's just life...doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to drive....or even looked down upon.

No flames....just mho....
That's apples and oranges...

To be fair and make a better comparison, how about letting those same people who cannot build or repair, drive impaired? If someone doesn't have a clue that by clicking yes to a prompt that they are potentially damaging their computer, then in my opinion that is an impairment. Again, you can't really compare these either, because they are not even close, but it's a matter of perspective. Don't kid yourself, grandma can be just as dangerous behind the wheel..

You just really cannot compare something like driving to connecting your computer to millions of other computers..
Fig

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page