Ordered my New Work Computer - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 6:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Ordered my New Work Computer

Forgive the brag, but I can't wait to see this thing run. * *Hopefully pretty soon I'll be telecommuting, and I'll hook up my second 21' monitor at home.

Base Unit:
3.06GHz, XEON/533, Dell Precision 650 MiniTower 1MB L3 Cache

Processor:
2nd Processor, 3.06GHz, XEON/533, 1MB MiniTower, Dell Precision 650

Memory:
4GB,266MHz,Double Data Rate SDRAM,ECC,4x1GB,Dell Precision450/650,Factory Install

Keyboard:
Entry Level Keyboard, PS/2,No Hot Keys,Dell Precision 530/340

Monitor:
Dell P1130,21 inch (19.86 inchViewable Image Size)Monitor, Gray,Dell Precision Workstation

Video Card:
3Dlabs,Wildcat IV 7110, Graphics Card,256MB,1 or 2 VGA/DVI,Dell Precision 650, Factory Install

Hard Drive:
146GB,SCSI,U320,1inch for PERC3,10K RPM,Hard Drive,Dell Precision 650 Factory Install

Floppy Disk Drive:
3.5',1.44MB,Floppy Drive Dell Precision, Factory Install

Operating System:
WINDOWS XP Pro SP1,NTFS with Media, Dell Precision,English,Factory Install

Mouse:
Logitech MX-500,7-button,with Scroll,USB,Optical Mouse,Dell Precision 360/450/650

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive:
48X/32X/48X CDRW,with Roxio Easy CD Creator,Dell Precision450/650, Factory Install

Speakers:
Internal Chassis Speaker,Dell

Additional Storage Products:
146GB,Hard Drive,SCSI,U320, Additional,1 inch,10K RPM DellPrecision 650,Factory Install

Controller Option:
PERC320,RAID5,Parity, 3 SCSI HDD

Misc:
Hyper-Threading feature presetto ON. Can be disabled/ enabled in BIOS.XP/Linux only,WS450/650

Misc:
146GB,Hard Drive,SCSI,U320, Additional,1 inch,10K RPM DellPrecision 650,Factory Install

EDIT: I need all the HP cuz I play with things like http://www.ansys.com/ for a living.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 6:35 PM

'cockhole'
-- Conq

Where's the DVD burner? The 22' flat panel?

Nice system. I bet Solitaire will run extra fast on that puppy, and the ORG will undoubtedly come up 0.05s faster now
post #3 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 6:37 PM Thread Starter

For some reason, you can't have a DVD burner with that video card. *

Since I find myself waiting for my graphics card often, I decided I'd rather get the best card they had, and maybe add on an external DVD burner if I decide I need it.

The bill was already north of $10K, so I left it at a 21'. Plus it will match my 21' at home nicely to go dual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 6:43 PM

Quote:
luvtolean : The bill was already north of $10K, so I left it at a 21'. *Plus it will match my 21' at home nicely to go dual.
10K+?

Boy, some things don't change...
post #5 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 6:50 PM Thread Starter

Yep, Finite Element software taxes a system to the max. You buy the top of the line machine to run it because although the machine costs that much, it easily pays for itself in reduced time. The graphics card alone was $1k.

post #6 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:00 PM

couldn't wait for 64 bits eh? j/k - cripes you can break pgp keys with that thing! congrats
post #7 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:02 PM

Damn that thing is a beast! When I built mine I spent nearly $2k, and it will push 10 pieces of audio gear (synthesizers, drum machines, vocoders, etc) as well as a soft sequencer + a myriad of software plugins, and it's a pinto compared to that beast.
post #8 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
phozed : couldn't wait for 64 bits eh? j/k - cripes you can break pgp keys with that thing! congrats *
I actually looked at going with a Sun, but one of my co-workers bought one and after talking about it for a while, we decided that the machine I could get from Dell for about $10k would actually crunch numbers faster than his $10k Sun. Not to mention far more convenient.

post #9 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:18 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Nice machine. Didn't you just buy one a few months ago??

Does this software require so many resources because it's inefficient or because it's just so powerful?

We run an app at work that's sitting on a Quad Xeon processor server with 4 or 6GB of RAM and the thing will max out all 4 processors. All due to unefficiency. We've talked to other users of the software who said that they max out an 8 processor system, in a much smaller organization
post #10 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:28 PM

ot: was actually talking about the new amd 64 bit Athlon. Was kidding tho - you have to wait for the apps/os's to catch up.
post #11 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:30 PM Thread Starter

I had to wait a couple months to get into the next business quarter for accounting reasons. The good news is that Intel released the new processor I spec'd in that time.

No, it's not terribly inefficient software. *It's just got a hell of a lot of numbers to crunch. *

Let me try to explain: Finite element modeling takes a solid, and creates a mesh of it. *If you click on the ANSYS link above you'll see a meshed object. *Anyways, you place loads on the solid object and a couple of boundary conditions, and then every point where the lines of the mesh converge is a node. *The program runs through equations for every node (which can easily get into the 100,000's) and determines the value of the node(you can solve for stress, temperature, magnetic flux...), based on what the other nodes around it are doing. *Because the nodes all rely on each other, it's an iterative process, so you have to solve each node many times.

The database of a solution can easily generate over 1Gb of info, and the relatively simple models I usually do take about an hour of processor time.

Large FEA models, ones where they do things like try to predict airflow for example, can tax systems with 100's of processors.

post #12 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 7:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
phozed : ot: was actually talking about the new amd 64 bit Athlon. Was kidding tho - you have to wait for the apps/os's to catch up.
Yeah, I figured. But I did look at getting a 64 bit machine in the Sun.

post #13 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 8:37 PM

Quote:
luvtolean : I had to wait a couple months to get into the next business quarter for accounting reasons. *The good news is that Intel released the new processor I spec'd in that time.

No, it's not terribly inefficient software. *It's just got a hell of a lot of numbers to crunch. *

Let me try to explain: Finite element modeling takes a solid, and creates a mesh of it. *If you click on the ANSYS link above you'll see a meshed object. *Anyways, you place loads on the solid object and a couple of boundary conditions, and then every point where the lines of the mesh converge is a node. *The program runs through equations for every node (which can easily get into the 100,000's) and determines the value of the node(you can solve for stress, temperature, magnetic flux...), based on what the other nodes around it are doing. *Because the nodes all rely on each other, it's an iterative process, so you have to solve each node many times.

The database of a solution can easily generate over 1Gb of info, and the relatively simple models I usually do take about an hour of processor time.

Large FEA models, ones where they do things like try to predict airflow for example, can tax systems with 100's of processors.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!DORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #14 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 8:39 PM

Minesweeper is gonna be awesome!
post #15 of 35 Old 09-25-2003, 8:49 PM

Quote:
luvtolean : I had to wait a couple months to get into the next business quarter for accounting reasons. *The good news is that Intel released the new processor I spec'd in that time.

I did some FEA in college with SDRC IDEAS on Suns.....was pretty neat...my brother also used IDEAS along with Pro E when at JSC working on the front landing gear of the shuttle. Sweet system!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page