Why I don't live in NYC - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-05-2007, 1:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Why I don't live in NYC

This guy would have been arrested twice and shot four or five times in Idaho. Shows that the world is jacked up and now we know why it is so easy for our bikes to be stolen.

YouTube - Bike Thief=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-05-2007, 2:19 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via Yahoo to slorider18
Re: Why I don't live in NYC

in my neck of the woods that wouldn't go down either. everyone here is so anal it's "illegal" to skateboard on city side walks. i'm shocked. but not really.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-05-2007, 4:54 PM

that video does not surprise me in the least. Thieves use the "ignore the obvious" approach like that all the time.
The normal Joe Citizen would think. "surely he's not trying to steal a bike in broad daylight on a busy city street"
Had the guy been doing it at night, with dark clothes, he would have probaby drawn at least a little more attention to himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-05-2007, 9:29 PM

Most people would thing the guy lost his key and needs to cut the lock off. As a new yorker for 20+ years (bronx and brooklyn) most of us don't get invloved with anything. Long as you ain't bothering us, we are walking right on by. Just the way it is in NYC.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-05-2007, 11:20 PM

But, the first one was a bullshiit lock...
The second was bullshiit also, and I have to say, having lost both a really nice bicycle and a gsxr1100 to the dirty thieves, even breaking the krypto lock that comes later is no real surprise...I agree with some of the previous comments about doing things in plain sight...

But, I think most people who live elsewhere couldn't handle the stress, breadth and depth of choices, opportunities, and diversions that NY presents...

I have seen three basic "New Yorkers:"
1 Those that were born, and will die, here.
2 Those that were born, but can't wait to leave, here.
3 Those that come from somewhere else, and either:
Subgroup A: fall in love and never leave
Subgroup B: Can't wait to leave because they were beaten down or really successful.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

If I saw someone cutting a lock in plain sight I would also assume that they lost a key. I would then ask them what is going on and make them come up with a pretty good explanation.

Quote:
Long as you ain't bothering us, we are walking right on by.
Exactly my point, that's a crappy attitude. What happened to being "neighborly."
post #7 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Exactly my point, that's a crappy attitude. What happened to being "neighborly."
In NY? Good way to get yourself killed. Ask them why they are cutting the lock so they can stab you and take the bike anyway.

You want neighborly go move to a little town in the country. Your not gonna get that in NY , or I'm sure in many big cities.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
If I saw someone cutting a lock in plain sight I would also assume that they lost a key. I would then ask them what is going on and make them come up with a pretty good explanation.

How are you going to "make them" come up with an explanation? Offering to help is neighborly...Grilling a private citizen on the street is rude...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post
In NY? Good way to get yourself killed. Ask them why they are cutting the lock so they can stab you and take the bike anyway.

You want neighborly go move to a little town in the country. Your not gonna get that in NY , or I'm sure in many big cities.
I have lived in a couple of big cities (NY, Boston, El Paso), and I disagree. Folks here are very neighborly, until the line is crossed...Usually a physical proximity thing, or a rude set of questions or non-sequitors will produce that storied NY temper...
post #9 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 1:23 PM

Set of rude questions like why you stealing that bike perhaps? If it is just a guy who lost his key he will be annoyed at you. If it is in fact a thief he ain't gonna be happy either.

I just can't see you questioning somebody in NY, you will get attitude or worse 80% of the time me thinks. responses ranging from "who the F are you a cop?" "mind your own f'in business" would come to mind.

Of course I would be upset if somebody cut my lock and took my bike, but thats life sometimes.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 1:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post
Set of rude questions like why you stealing that bike perhaps? If it is just a guy who lost his key he will be annoyed at you. If it is in fact a thief he ain't gonna be happy either.

I just can't see you questioning somebody in NY, you will get attitude or worse 80% of the time me thinks. responses ranging from "who the F are you a cop?" "mind your own f'in business" would come to mind.

Of course I would be upset if somebody cut my lock and took my bike, but thats life sometimes.

I would expect attitude, especially if from a thief. I wouldn't be annoyed at all if someone questioned me if I truly had lost a key. Most people wouldn't (anywhere outside of NY) be annoyed. They would be happy that someone cared enough to be looking out. I've been in similar situations many times where I've been questioned about what I'm doing. I used to work for a cropdusting company. Where I live all spraying has to be done at night so that you don't kill the leafcutter bees. Try explaining what you are doing driving through some farmers field at 3 am. I almost got tossed into a canal one night by a drunk farmer who thought I was some kid stealing potato's. I got questioned almost every single night. I have also questioned many people in similar situations, they generally had a good explanation or were prepared to prove who they were because they knew they looked suspicious. When I had to break into my own car I was prepared to prove who I was and more than one person asked me what was going on.

In the video not one person even bothered to take a second look. Dateline did a thing with a guy beating up his girlfriend in the middle of the park. Only 3 or 4 people out of more than 100 bothered to do anything.

Wouldn't you want someone to at least ask the guy what was up if it was your bike? I think that was the point of the guys making the video. They were wondering why they had had so many things stolen and wanted to see if anybody cared.

Like I said, it's why I dont live in NYC. If you feel good about living life that way then more power to you.
post #11 of 17 Old 05-06-2007, 8:33 PM

I guess people didn't see the guy who asked a question, then helped with the vice-grips suggestion...See, someone did in fact, approach in a neighborly fashion, and then rendered assistance...
post #12 of 17 Old 05-07-2007, 8:38 AM

i wonder how many people have aided in breaking into a car, you walk by and a fella is trying to open his door with a hanger, how many people stop and help instead of inquiring
post #13 of 17 Old 05-07-2007, 8:36 PM

T%oo many I am sure, but that is the "neighborly" thing to do...
post #14 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 9:52 AM

I think I would enjoy living in a city, BUT, only if I could still have a large garage for my tools and toys. And since that's not really an option, I'll settle for a house in the burbs.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM

In the outer boros, like Queens, the Bronx, Staten Island and Brooklyn, you can buy houses for the same purchase price as a Manhattan apt, but have a garage. Some town houses in Manhattan also have garages, but those are tens of millions of dollars...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page