Question about TIVO... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Question about TIVO...

I was recently looking into getting a TIVO, until I noticed a monthly service charge and no one can tell me what its for. I called TIVO and they couldnt tell me what I was getting for my $13/month, so do any of you by any chance know what you get?

I just don't get BUYING something for a few hundred dollars and then having to pay a monthly fee (roughly 5% of purchase price) to keep it running.

That's like having to pay Honda $500 monthly even after you have purchased your bike outright just for the ability to ride it. Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Re: Question about TIVO...

Why do they do it? Because they can. It's really no different than buying satellite TV equipment, you still have to pay a monthly fee to use it.

That being said, I don't own a TIVO for that exact reason. I don't watch enough TV to justify the ability to record shows for later viewing.

If you have satellite TV, some of them offer receivers that will do the same as TIVO. But, then again, they too probably have some extra fees.

As long as people will pay it, they will continue to charge for it.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 12:41 PM

is it the rental of the Tivo itself? i cancelled mine for the simple fact that i couldnt read the bill and figure out where my money was really going. what ever happened to the neighborhood guy that would hook you up with free cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

The deal is, you buy the unit, bring it home, pay an additional $13 per month to USE it. WTF is that?

I dont watch a LOT of TV, but I also dont want to have to be at home at 2 on Sunday so I can catch the only airing of AMA or SBK or something like that. Much less does my wife want to watch races while they are being recorded knowing that she is going to have to watch them again when i get home. it would be a convenience feature, not a needed item.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 1:23 PM

OK, there is a problem here...TiVo is a stand alone dvr. if you want the TiVo service, which is time shifting, wishlists, recommendations based on viewing practices, etc, it costs 12 bucks (now) per month, but they offer a lifetime subscription, that follows your account, even if you upgrade your actual TiVo box in the future...However, for 8 bucks or so, your local cable company should offer a "dvr" service, with 2 tuners, that allow you to (if you ever get HD programming for an HD TV) record 2 Hd shows in 6.1 surround at the same time, while watching a pre-recorded third...I have a TiVo with the lifetime service that I no longer use (gave it to my inlaws) because the cable dvr service works better for my lifestyle...The TiVo idea is great, but too limited because it has to interface with your cable or sattelite box, rather than being an integral unit. Caveat: The newer sattelite boxes can be had with an internal tivo dvr, but still suffer from an inability to record 2 hidef channels at the same time.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 2:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbear View Post
OK, there is a problem here...TiVo is a stand alone dvr. if you want the TiVo service, which is time shifting, wishlists, recommendations based on viewing practices, etc, it costs 12 bucks (now) per month, but they offer a lifetime subscription, that follows your account, even if you upgrade your actual TiVo box in the future...However, for 8 bucks or so, your local cable company should offer a "dvr" service, with 2 tuners, that allow you to (if you ever get HD programming for an HD TV) record 2 Hd shows in 6.1 surround at the same time, while watching a pre-recorded third...I have a TiVo with the lifetime service that I no longer use (gave it to my inlaws) because the cable dvr service works better for my lifestyle...The TiVo idea is great, but too limited because it has to interface with your cable or sattelite box, rather than being an integral unit. Caveat: The newer sattelite boxes can be had with an internal tivo dvr, but still suffer from an inability to record 2 hidef channels at the same time.
this is from the TIVO website:
"A subscription to the TiVo service is required and the TiVo box will not work without a paid subscription to the TiVo service. That means that if you choose to cancel the subscription you are purchasing today, the box will no longer work."
TiVo Package Details

Sounds to me like if you dont pay for the service, your box is a paperweight.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-23-2007, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujosh1 View Post
this is from the TIVO website:
"A subscription to the TiVo service is required and the TiVo box will not work without a paid subscription to the TiVo service. That means that if you choose to cancel the subscription you are purchasing today, the box will no longer work."
TiVo Package Details

Sounds to me like if you dont pay for the service, your box is a paperweight.
Right, except that it will still record up to 30 min of single-channel TV (presumably that you are watching), at least mine did when I first cancelled the monthly (when I gave it to my inlaws I did so with the lifetime sub) so you could theoretically rewind up to 30 min or pause live tv for up to 30 min, but, you won't get a channel guide through the tivo (your cable co should have that), or wishlists, or recommendations, or recording of shows, or any of that stuff...Again, I would dump the tivo, get the dvr service from your cable company, save both the purchase price of the tivo and about 4 bucks a month for service, and enjoy...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page