Holiday visit to USA - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 8:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Holiday visit to USA

OK, perhaps it's cheeky to ask, and I wasn't sure which forum to post this in anyway, but here goes.

Never been to the USA but booked some time off from work in September. Don't fancy a package deal, so whats the feasibility of just getting a flight (where's another question altogether) then renting a car and just touring staying in hotels/motels going where the fancy takes us (be me and my girlfriend)We plan to be over for two weeks or so. Any suggestions?
Both Police officers in our early 50's I've got a Blackbird and Fireblade at home, SHE has a Harley (883) and 600 Yamaha and a 400 Honda. (and a scooter, but we don't talk about that)
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 9:08 AM

Re: Holiday visit to USA

Have one big spot that you really want to see? Someplace like New York, Chicago, Vegas, etc?
How long are you planning on being here?
post #3 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 9:20 AM Thread Starter

One big spot ? Well, from what I read, New England in the fall is spectacular. Apart from that I have no real idea. I would like to see some of " real" America, not theme parks and the like. Which is why we'd rather make our own arrangements and "go native". Worked six months attached to the US Navy office in London, so I even understand some of the language !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 9:21 AM

two weeks, can't you read?
post #5 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfuldragon View Post
two weeks, can't you read?
kiss my ass, coffee has not fully kicked in yet.
post #6 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 9:44 AM

stop by Indy to take in some sights, go down the the Indy 500 track, stop by Jeff's house and kick him in the nuts... Thats pretty much all there is to do in Indiana because other than those few things its just corn fields and bean fields. Go over to Cali to San Fran and just sit on the sidewalk, I'm sure laughing at the freakshows that walk by will keep you busy for hours.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 10:07 AM

I've got cold beer in the fridge, come on by. I'll show you the highlights of the South side of Indianapolis. I think that would consist of the Buffalo Wild Wings and Schneiders, the little bar and grill near my house. I like Schneiders because once I leave there parking lot, I only need to make one left hand turn about a mile away and I'm in my driveway.
post #8 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you want to see some crazy stuff you'll not see anywhere else on the planet, take a flight into one of the cities of the southwest. Doesn't matter really, but Vegas is near enough "centrally located" that it would be a good bet.
Grab a rental and go see the Grand Canyon and some of the national parks/monuments in the area, like Canyon De Chelley, Monument Valley, Arches, Zion, etc. Valley of Fire State park in Nevada is right there as well. Check out the Hoover dam at Lake Mead.
The ancient people of the area built some crazy stuff and to see those ruins is quite the experience.

Route 66 is right there as well for some nostalgia. Could also make a trek up to Yellowstone. You could also make a quick trip over to California and see some of the things like the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.
There is a ton to see and do all over the states.
Really you need to figure out what kind of thing it is you'd like to see/do and then pick a region. The canyons in the mountain states of the west are gorgeous in the fall.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good !!!! One other thing, at least once in my life I want to work out in one of those huge American gyms the size of aircraft hangars with rows and rows of equipment. Plenty of those in the mid west I guess and even more in Caifornia.

post #10 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM

go to any big city and you can find a gym that has more in there than you could want or need... Hell go to the right hotel and you will find yourself staring down the barrel of a nice gym
post #11 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 3:23 PM

I say go to Vegas. You can do about anything you want there.
post #12 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 3:29 PM

Reputation Power: 23

It really depends what you want to do. If those things are things you can do at home, or Spain (beach, hotels, resorts) then don't bother, just no point as you'll have wasted an opportunity to experience some special things.

I've visited the Sates a couple of times but I've only managed to take in New York and New England. Spent a month working in New Hampshire. The whole area is highly recommended, so much to see and do.

On my list of must do's:

Three days in New York City.
Sunday afternoon chilling out in Central Park people watching
White Mountains, New Hampshire,
Provincetown, Cape Cod.
tour Boston
Whale watching
Go camping in Vermont
Spend some time on the beach

We had three weeks there, rented a big **** off people carrier (Chevrolet Voyager - first car I've seen with electric doors ), and just drove all over the place. Loved every minute of it. Fabulous people, fabulous scenery. Altogether great.

Having said all that, what we saw was not so different from places in Europe. Big cities, mountains, ocean etc. I have a hankering to see something we don't have, and I've always wanted to go look at the great plains of the mid-west, the mile after mile of wheat fields. Just such a contrast to Europe.

When we took a three week holiday in Austraila two years ago, after a few days in Sydney, we decided to abandon the traditional tourist trip up or down the coast. We took our little camper van inland, Blue Mountains, Bathurst, Cowra, Hay, Waga Waga. My favourite place was West Wyalong, nothing more than a single main street, a railway/cattle loading ramp and er ........ that's it. Somehow we got more in touch with Australia than if we'd just bummed around on the Gold Coast jet skiing. All the Australians we met thought we were mad. They had a point.

We Have friends who live in St Petersbug, Florida and hopefully we will visit them next year. I'm sort of sheming to take a big long drive though Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Maybe as far as Texas. Probably a completely different world, or at least that's what I'm hoping

So I think BDA has got it right, head for the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and all that stuff. Memorable for sure. Something you won't get over here. New Mexico always looked interesting too.

Be careful of the distances and don't try and do too much. It's a very, very big place.
post #13 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 3:46 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Avoid Labor Day for less crowds and the kids will be in school after it so even better.

The north will have leaves but later in September is probably better than early. It will be getting cooler by then (at least in the evening)
The deep south will be warm but not smoking hot. For fantastic scenery look into the Blue Ridge Parkway
Suggestions made for the west are good ones.

If you want to see the real US and some of our more colorful folks stay off the interstate system, it is a great way to get somewhere but it gets super generic.

A bit more of what you seek might help also. For instance do you want cityscape or country? Mountains, plains or ocean? Hot or cold? Historic or Americana (I assume you don't want trendy by other comments). Do you have other interests (ie trains, art, museums, hang gliding)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 3:48 PM

And remember, prostitution is only legal in certain parts of Nevada, and not in the town of Vegas itself. You can usually negotiate the price. Bring your own condom as it's considered rude to ask the girl to provide one.
post #15 of 39 Old 06-12-2007, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJeff View Post
And remember, prostitution is only legal in certain parts of Nevada, and not in the town of Vegas itself. You can usually negotiate the price. Bring your own condom as it's considered rude to ask the girl to provide one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page