How court goes... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 8:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How court goes...

As many of you are aware, my bike was stolen at the very beggining of 2007, then the police found it and returned it to me about a month later in seriously beat up condition.

I've been following the accused felon through his court proceedings... well just via snail mail notifications from the court and prosecutor. The guy who stole my bike has two or more felonies he's being accused of. One is "Theft of Transportation - a Class 3 Felony." The other one, two or three felonies I do not know the details about. The nice thing is I can submit my cost/reciepts for rebuilding my bike and time missed from work to the court/judge. He will automatically hold the guy responsible for repayment of damages if the guy is found guilty. Which i'm sure he will be.

The court keeps making these "Conferences" instead of just putting the guy on trial. Conference after conference to offer the guy plea bargains, etc. I can attend the conferences if i wish to, but don't. I just want to go to his trial so i can grab him from the hall, push him into the janitors closet and kick his ***. lol. Just kidding. I'm praying he gets what he has coming. And when he gets out and gets a job... he will be paying me back for damages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 8:41 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Send a message via AIM to JMaxey Send a message via Yahoo to JMaxey
Re: How court goes...

I dunno how Arizona works but if I were you I wouldn't count on getting a dime from him. I wish you the best regardless.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 8:43 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Sorry to hear your bike was stolen! The whole justice and legal system is joke, way too much protection for crims and not enough justice for the victims of crime. Make sure you stay on his tail for your compensation if you can, good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 9:56 PM

I think that if you stay as involved as possible it will improve your chances of restitution. Make your presence known, don't let either the justice system or the criminal forget that you are not going away until you have been compensated. The reason I say this is because eventually you will get what's coming to you and it is the best thing that could happen to the crook. If you keep on him until he pays that will do him more good than anything else. Holding folks accountable makes them more responsible. That's what is largely lacking in our society today.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-20-2007, 10:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetman View Post
Holding folks accountable makes them more responsible. That's what is largely lacking in our society today.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2007, 2:48 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
As many of you are aware, my bike was stolen at the very beggining of 2007, then the police found it and returned it to me about a month later in seriously beat up condition.

I've been following the accused felon through his court proceedings... well just via snail mail notifications from the court and prosecutor. The guy who stole my bike has two or more felonies he's being accused of. One is "Theft of Transportation - a Class 3 Felony." The other one, two or three felonies I do not know the details about. The nice thing is I can submit my cost/reciepts for rebuilding my bike and time missed from work to the court/judge. He will automatically hold the guy responsible for repayment of damages if the guy is found guilty. Which i'm sure he will be.

The court keeps making these "Conferences" instead of just putting the guy on trial. Conference after conference to offer the guy plea bargains, etc. I can attend the conferences if i wish to, but don't. I just want to go to his trial so i can grab him from the hall, push him into the janitors closet and kick his ***. lol. Just kidding. I'm praying he gets what he has coming. And when he gets out and gets a job... he will be paying me back for damages.
If he is using a public defender the chance of seeing $ is small. Pull out the Louisville slugger and call it even.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #7 of 14 Old 06-23-2007, 3:17 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-929 View Post
If he is using a public defender the chance of seeing $ is small. Pull out the Louisville slugger and call it even.
J-ments are good for years, and he will work at least sometime...Also, as a taxpayer (I assume) you want the best deal for your tax money...Trials=LOTS OF CASH, conferences=Nearly free. If you pay more than the cost of your bike in taxes over time to your state, then just chill out, because you are hoping to get the most out of your tax money.

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
PETER GRIFFIN: I do...You bastard...
post #8 of 14 Old 06-23-2007, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
The whole justice and legal system is joke, way too much protection for crims and not enough justice for the victims of crime. .
Spoken like someone who never went inside a real prison or been falsely accused of a crime. The convoluted rules that (only appear to) favor the accused are there not to protect the accused or fail to make-whole the victim, but are instead there to assure that no shortcuts were taken by the police. There is no greater moment that the power of the "state" is brought to bear in a personal sense, than when a cop interracts with a suspect. And what governs that interraction? The officer's discretion. To balance this personal use of governmental power the system evolved to work as hard as possible to ensure that the guy convicted actually did it. Remember, the acquitted gets a verdict of "not guilty" rather than "found innocent" and people can be sued for some of the harms they cause (like OJ) even if not found guilty. This system is unbelievably complex, and has room for improvement, but not where most lay-persons think...

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
post #9 of 14 Old 06-23-2007, 6:43 PM

The integrity of the lawyers, prosecutors, judges and investigators is critical. It is impossible to perform competently without it. Just look a the Duke lacrosse thing. That prosecutor was breaking the rules cause he wanted another conviction, it and he was going to make an example of them. The problem was that they didn't rape that woman. Too often police and prosecutors just want to have convictions and closed cases.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-23-2007, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchetman View Post
The integrity of the lawyers, prosecutors, judges and investigators is critical. It is impossible to perform competently without it. Just look a the Duke lacrosse thing. That prosecutor was breaking the rules cause he wanted another conviction, it and he was going to make an example of them. The problem was that they didn't rape that woman. Too often police and prosecutors just want to have convictions and closed cases.
It is often because promotions, political aspirations, and "money" hinge on greater success...Convictions, arrests, etc..

post #11 of 14 Old 06-23-2007, 9:54 PM
cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbear View Post
Spoken like someone who never went inside a real prison or been falsely accused of a crime. The convoluted rules that (only appear to) favor the accused are there not to protect the accused or fail to make-whole the victim, but are instead there to assure that no shortcuts were taken by the police. There is no greater moment that the power of the "state" is brought to bear in a personal sense, than when a cop interracts with a suspect. And what governs that interraction? The officer's discretion. To balance this personal use of governmental power the system evolved to work as hard as possible to ensure that the guy convicted actually did it. Remember, the acquitted gets a verdict of "not guilty" rather than "found innocent" and people can be sued for some of the harms they cause (like OJ) even if not found guilty. This system is unbelievably complex, and has room for improvement, but not where most lay-persons think...
Before you accuse someone of being inside a real prison for being wrongly accused... let me ask you since you laid down such a great line. Have you been imprisioned after being wrongly accused? if not what give you the right to call them out?
post #12 of 14 Old 06-24-2007, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow View Post
Before you accuse someone of being inside a real prison for being wrongly accused... let me ask you since you laid down such a great line. Have you been imprisioned after being wrongly accused? if not what give you the right to call them out?
Please look at the disjunctive connector: "or" that I chose very carefully...I have both been accused of an offense that I didn't commit, and I have been in Sing Sing...The subject matter was unrelated, but the point stands. Nobody who has been in a real prison thinks conditions are favorable to the prisoners...Sure, some get TV etc. but the things they really need to learn how to get along in our society? In terribly short supply...Also, the power of the state is unbelievable when you get accused, and folks of modest means really need to sell everything they own, and borrow tons of money to defend themselves. Frankly, Public Defenders are some of the best lawyers ever, they just have no budget to get great expert witnesses, do investigations, and have no arrest authority to threaten other witnesses with...Like the prosecution can.

And, who am I calling out? People who think that prisons are country clubs? That's kind of a no brainer...If you can't leave, period, that loss of liberty sucks. Ever heard the phrase "Gilded Cage?" It is still a CAGE!

And, anybody who thinks the "system" is skewed toward the criminals doesn't understand the idea behind the system. The idea is to hold the STATE, the GOV'T, the real power of the police and courts to a VERY high standard. Remember, a long time ago, guilt was often determined merely by character testimony...Not very reliable. Now, just because a cop says so, and a prosecutor agrees, it is not enough to be sent away to lose your liberty. The gov't has to "prove" it, and this country is one of the few places you can actually hold the gov't to that principle...Many other places, if you get accused, you are guilty, whether you did it or not...

post #13 of 14 Old 06-24-2007, 4:49 PM Thread Starter

The justice system can be a joke. I was watching Americas Most Wanted last night. The police were after a guy who commited a serious crime, they finally busted him and did everything by the book. I believe it was murder he did. The court found him guilty, and the judge gave him home confinement to wear one of those ankle bracelets. He cut it off and fled. He KILLED someone and this is the punishment the judge gave him! Ridiculous.

I don't know all that is going on with the guy's case who stole my bike, but i'm sure there is more going on than i know, crimes he commited and organized crime he's associated with.. no big time organized crime probably but car theft ring and drugs i think. I just want him to pay for his crime in prison. If i get any money in the far future that's ok too, but mostly i want him in prison.

I understand having to prove the accused person did the crime or not. I understand that takes time and it's a process.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-25-2007, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
The court found him guilty, and the judge gave him home confinement to wear one of those ankle bracelets. He cut it off and fled. He KILLED someone and this is the punishment the judge gave him! Ridiculous.

I understand having to prove the accused person did the crime or not. I understand that takes time and it's a process.
Nobody gets home confinement for murder in this country.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page