Help! My dad wants a scooter! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 4:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Help! My dad wants a scooter!

My dad is pushin 60. He's straight as far as I know. Been married twice and has a girlfriend now. He's the guy that taught me about cars, boats, motorcycles etc. He had bikes all my life. I even remember getting scabs on my legs when I would burn my legs on the pipes when he'd take me to pre-school on his bike. He had street bikes, dirtbikes, dual sports...all of em. He sold his last bike a GSX-R750 on the day I turned 16 so I wouldn't kill myself on it. That was 13 years ago and today he calls me up and tells me he is going to buy a scooter. My wife was laughing hysterically on the couch beside me just from what she gathered eaves dropping on my side of the conversation. I mean, there has been debates on whether or not it's ok to even wave to a guy on a scooter. I asked why he didn't just get a real bike and he said he wasn't doing it for fun but just to save money on gas. To me it has most of the dangers of a real bike in traffic without the power to get away from anything. On top of that some of the scooters he is looking at weigh 400 pounds! I just can't stop thinking about the scooter on Grand Theft Auto and the fact my pops will look like an old drunk with a DUI going down the road slowing up traffic. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 5:27 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Help! My dad wants a scooter!

You never know he might just go from a scooter to a CBR, he's getting a bike and that is better than no bike. Different things are cool when your 60 I am sure so let him have his way and be happy for him. Nothing worse than when old folks stop living alltogether. I bet people somewhere even race those things..
post #3 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 7:04 PM Thread Starter

Well I did meet a guy from Bosnia that claimed even a 50cc scooter/moped/bike w/e over there hauled ass. The one he is getting is a 150cc scooter that claims to do 65mph. They even have 260cc ones that claim to go 85mph. I sure wish he'd buy a CBR instead. He said he doesn't wanna pay the insurance and have to upkeep a sport bike anymore. I thought most guys bought a Porsche or at least a Miata for their mid-life crisis? Hell, I'd settle for a Harley at this point.

ATVS Four Wheelers Go Karts Dune Buggys Moped Scooters Quads Powersports

He wants the "Fiji" on this page...in yellow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 7:10 PM

My old man wanted a Harley and now he is too old, I regret that he never just did it. I took a look at that page, I think the red looks pretty cool why does he want yellow? You could get him some RR stickers.....
post #5 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 8:45 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Once a rider, always a rider...regardless of the ride. More power to him!

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #6 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 9:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I guess you are right. I have the blue/yellow 1000RR and told him I figured the yellow on the front might have deterred a cager or two from pulling out in front of me. He wants the visibility. Funny thing is, he was always like me and hated riding in town. Now he is buying a bike that is made only for in town travel.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Darn right. At least he is out and about at 60! More than can be said for those sad old wankers holed up in a pub betting on horses running round a track!

I never thought I would see the day I supported a scooter, but then again, if I'm 60 and can still throw a leg over something with two wheels, then I'm doing OK!!!!!!!
post #8 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 11:17 PM

60 is the new 50 guys... It's not death
post #9 of 27 Old 07-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Reputation Power: 0

hehehehehe death is now set at 110!

Ace, that means that 40 is the new 30! There is hope for us all yet! Until you hit 50 which is 40, or is that the new 30??? Damn this early/middle age madness!!!!!!!
post #10 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 12:38 AM

Reputation Power: 87

Maybe you could talk him into one of this guys customs.

YouTube - Piaggio Vespa 750ccm
post #11 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 1:08 AM

Reputation Power: 15

I have a 150cc scooter. It will run circles around cars in the city. Not bad for getting to work. I can't complain about the price of gas when I ride it.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 1:39 AM

Ahhh they are coming out of the closet now - Looks like we will need to start the scooter section soon. Ok my turn, I have a friend who rides one - and he is still my friend.... And I rode it once.
post #13 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 8:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Ahhh they are coming out of the closet now - Looks like we will need to start the scooter section soon. Ok my turn, I have a friend who rides one - and he is still my friend.... And I rode it once.
Well allright...I rode a moped in Key West for a couple days while vacationing there a few years back. It was...fun.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 9:45 AM

Reputation Power: 15

I thought scooters were the wave of the future. Until I visited a local site and saw a few of their get togethers. You think scooters are nothing to be ashamed of?

You have to SEE the hardcore scooter crowd. It wasn't something like a few enthusiasts gaining support and knowledge of a very practical and efficient bike. They had mods on their scooters that would make stunters afraid. I'm talking 100 rear view mirrors, Hello Kitty pink, mondo coffee can fart pipes, and anything else that can come from a LSD trip. Even the Hell's Angels would turn and run upon seeing this!

I wish I had pics. Now I know why people distance themselves from scooters and warn others.

It will take a brave group to change history.
post #15 of 27 Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 AM

My dad was actually working on rebuilding a scooter (Helix) and went to a Honda dealer to pick up parts. There on the showroom floor was a cool, black & chrome Nighthawk 250 that he fell in love with. The next day my mom dropped him off so he could ride it home. This became his cruising-around-town bike. He was 69 at the time.
I hope like hell I'm still that adventurous at that age!
Scooters are cool and hip again. More power to your dad!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page