Quitting the law, joining the Police... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 3:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Quitting the law, joining the Police...

So, I am contemplating quitting the practice of law, and joining the police, somewhere here in the northeast...

Thoughts?

Advice?

Suggestions?

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
PETER GRIFFIN: I do...You bastard...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 4:19 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Quitting the law, joining the Police...

Opposite ends of the spectrum...and pay scale. Why?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 4:43 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Send a message via AIM to cvc14 Send a message via Yahoo to cvc14

Big pay cut there... But you get to carry a gun all the time.

Why are you looking to get out of law?

Do you just want to help people? If so go down to the local volunteer fire department and sign up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 4:54 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Waste of talent. If you really want to get into law enforcement, why not become a prosecuting attorney (if that isn't already what you do). The grass is always greener on the other side.
post #5 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 5:19 PM

Reputation Power: 18

What area of the Police force? Highway patrol on a bike maybe....
post #6 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 7:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc14 View Post
Big pay cut there... But you get to carry a gun all the time.

Why are you looking to get out of law?

Do you just want to help people? If so go down to the local volunteer fire department and sign up.
We have no volunteer fd in the city...I am looking to get out because I don't really like the law...I don't mind things at trial, because that is kind of like chess; but the rest of it is pretty crappy...I went into the field in some misguided attempt to find intellectual-professionalism...I found the same idiots I always saw, but these "legal" ones had a big chip on their shoulder because they had a law degree...So, if I am going to work with average people, I would rather work with folks who did not have an erroneous and inflated sense of their intellectual superiority...I am not stupid myself, but I am something of a slave to rational-process and limited by the information I have been able to internalize...I just find the law less than I expected. I guess getting the "bad man" off has taken something of a toll...And, I will not take too much of a pay-hit, depending on where I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steingar View Post
Waste of talent. If you really want to get into law enforcement, why not become a prosecuting attorney (if that isn't already what you do). The grass is always greener on the other side.
I agree, the grass is...But, as for talent, thanks; however, I think that as a detective, or a lawyer in the police law division, I could bring something the typical academy grad can't...I could never prosecute, as I am just too abrasive to really seek to "prove" something to a jury...I can, through reason, poke holes in the credibiblity of the evidence/witnesses, but unless I am putting forward an affirmative defense (one WE must prove), the burden really lies with the Prosecution, and I have no real aptitude...Also, I think there are lots of resources to assist prosecuting attorneys, and many folks from top schools who have political aspirations or didn't get into the big-name firms will go into prosecution to gain litigation experience and credibility to further their political or economic desires...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
What area of the Police force? Highway patrol on a bike maybe....
I was thinking, after the probationary period of course, trying out for supervisory positions (tests until Captain, and I have all the education ever needed), detective, mounted (horse-I can ride, drive, and jump), or even the law division...

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?

Last edited by analogbear; 07-02-2007 at 8:42 PM.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 8:03 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Change can be a good thing and the law is always going to be around, no point to just die wondering. I think in life you should taste as much as you can and stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while makes you feel alive. Is that not what bikes are about..
post #8 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Change can be a good thing and the law is always going to be around, no point to just die wondering. I think in life you should taste as much as you can and stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while makes you feel alive. Is that not what bikes are about..
Roger that.

I am not sure what I am going to do...I view the degree as a benefit, the license as a burden, and the endeavor as a slightly-tainted honorable pursuit. Who knows?

Thanks all, for the input.

post #9 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 9:06 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Becoming a policeman? How do you feel about not being liked by the majority of the people you interact with? Frankly I believe it's a dangerous thankless job topped off with mediocre pay. My father always wanted to be a lawyer and finished law school in his early twenties. By the time he passed the bar he told my mom he couldn't live with himself and practice law. He went on to become a very successful stockbroker in downtown Seattle. He worked 6 days a week for years and his clients loved him. He loved the job, the human interaction, he was a real people person, he never churned accounts. I would think with your education you would be better suited in a more professional job than becoming a cop. Good luck with your decision.

post #10 of 33 Old 07-02-2007, 9:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Repsol View Post
How do you feel about not being liked by the majority of the people you interact with?
I would think with your education you would be better suited in a more professional job
As a lawyer I am already hated by most people with whom I come in contact ...But, I agree; my education would kind of be wasted as a mere "beat cop," but both of the Comissioners (of Corrections and the NYPD) that I have met were law school grads too, and came to admin late. I could go up within the dep't, and work at a "professional level" after a very brief probationary period...But , thanks for the wishings of well...I am not sure what I will decide...

post #11 of 33 Old 07-04-2007, 2:21 AM

Reputation Power: 16

if memory serves you have a porshe among other vehicles true? look at officer Johnny Fiveoh how much chit can he afford that you have? are you willing for the lifestyle change? Not just professionally speaking but I mean like thee way you live your home life I'd assume you'd be taking a fairly substantial pay cut..
post #12 of 33 Old 07-04-2007, 3:32 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Get out now! I agree with your decision to look elsewhere. I worked in BIG law for several years and am now looking for a job at even half my former salary (albeit, twice the happiness).

True dat about the ppl. Yulch!

Do it now before it's too late (e.g, buy into partnership). What area of law, btw?
post #13 of 33 Old 07-04-2007, 7:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_hurricane View Post
if memory serves you have a porshe among other vehicles true? look at officer Johnny Fiveoh how much chit can he afford that you have? are you willing for the lifestyle change? Not just professionally speaking but I mean like thee way you live your home life I'd assume you'd be taking a fairly substantial pay cut..
A '94 911 Turbo (3.6L, last rear-drive year)...It wasn't new when I got it, and nearly qualifies for high-mileage discounts due to my driving...

My job pays a little bit, but I don't pull in the big M and A money...

With the average cop making $80K after only a few years, and Detectives, Sergeants, and LTs making between $100K and $160K, the impact of the lower starting salary will be offset soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
Get out now! I agree with your decision to look elsewhere. I worked in BIG law for several years and am now looking for a job at even half my former salary (albeit, twice the happiness).

True dat about the ppl. Yulch!

Do it now before it's too late (e.g, buy into partnership). What area of law, btw?
Yeah, I think I will make the change, and must now consider to "where."

Criminal Defense...Scary, right?

post #14 of 33 Old 07-04-2007, 8:31 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Why don't you try the law enforcement approach. Seems to me you would make a fine investigator. Abrasive can sometimes work to your advantage in that field. The down side is that you may ruffle feathers and that's never good for promotion in an old boy's club. The way I see it you don't really have much to lose. If the cop thing doesn't work out back to law you go. The training alone would be a very enriching experience imo.
post #15 of 33 Old 07-04-2007, 8:51 PM

I dont what aspects of the PD you're researching but aside from the obvious fringe benefits I cant see why you'd want to make that jump. Depending on what police department you choose, especially a small one... it would be kind of hard to make detective as quickly as you think.

You're better off going for FBI(you already have the degree) or US Marshals Service or any federal law enforcement really.

-jh

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page