To smack or not? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 5:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

To smack or not?

Is smacking a child the correct way to discipline them or does it cause long term 'damage". In some countries smacking is against the law but do parents need such laws in place when it comes to raising children. If you agee with that would you let it go one step further and give school teachers the authority to smack or use the cane?

If you were smacked as a child then thinking back do you think you earned it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: To smack or not?

I think it's a bad idea and I hate to see people hit their kids in public. I'm not near as bad as my old manager when I was a repo guy. He saw a guy hit his kid and he tore off his nametag and went after the dude throwing him out of the store and damn near breaking the guys arm.

I was never hit growing up because my dad was beaten by his father and swore he would never do it. He did threaten me with a backhand a few times but never did it.
post #3 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 1:02 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I think there’s a limit to everything. Like for example, if my child is throwing snow in other peoples faces or hitting them. And I repeatedly told him to stop. Hitting them might become an option just to show that it hurts and you shouldn’t do it to others. Then there is abuse where people beat there kids, punching, hard smacking in the face and such. I think tapping them in the butt firmly depending on what they did is appropriate. That’s shows that it hurts but does not inflict the acknowledgment of violence but disicpline. When i was younger I was smacked in the butt with a belt, I think you learn quickly from that as you long as you did something wrong that needed that kind of attention.

Just my .02
Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 1:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

I was spanked as a child and deserved it.
I spank my child when he deserves it.
If some jackass came after me for giving my child discipline that guy would end up ****ed over.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 1:08 PM

I doubt it.
post #6 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116 View Post
I was spanked as a child and deserved it.
I spank my child when he deserves it.
If some jackass came after me for giving my child discipline that guy would end up ****ed over.

I agree, I think some people overreact when they see a child being disaplined. They just see abuse but they also dont know the whole story. Especially if they dont have kids. But most of the time when you see kids getting there but whipped in malls for not listening. Its seems like the parent just disaplines and doesnt compinsate for the beating. Thats just one case scenario, but thats what most people see and apply it to everyone.
post #7 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 1:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCCAFan View Post
I doubt it.
Doubt it all you want, it would happen, period. He'd have to be bigger than me, more highly trained than me and be bulletproof.
Your wittle buddy would have been laid out, no questions asked.
Little prissy-assed losers that are coming up in today's PC environment have screwed up too many things in society. You should all disappear for the better of mankind.
post #8 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 1:25 PM

I haven't seen too many prissy repo guys and if you think you are going to get tossed out of a public establishment for beating your kid and come back in with a gun then you are in fantasy land. You must be the guy punching the air and stuff watching action movies. No wonder you beat your kid.
post #9 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 2:11 PM

My dad used to beat the living crap out of me. Did I deserve it? Probably. Did he go overboard? A few times, like when he KO'd me with an uppercut and sent me flying into a couch. All in all, I turned out fine. I think spanking is ok, as long as the spanker doesn't lose it (and I've definately seen my dad lose it which was NOT ok). I think it builds character for children when done appropriately.
post #10 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 4:29 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Thats a hard question. I see WAY more kids acting like a fool, doing whatever they damn well please cause there stupid parents dont know how to be a parent, than actually giving their kids discipline. The problem is that too many young people are poppin babies out. If I ever have kids I will use my own judgement when to spank them. Beating and using discipline are not even comparable. School teachers have no right to spack/spank/beat/cane/etc children in the school. If the parents would do the ****ing job that they signed up for, teachers wouldnt have to do it. Dont abuse the children. Dont abuse the ladies.
post #11 of 43 Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM

The only thing I see wrong with it is some parents go overboard. But those parents are always going to be that way, reguardless of any law. I believe it is a good idea if not done in anger. I got my butt spanked numerous times.. i'm not damaged, i'm better for it.
post #12 of 43 Old 07-10-2007, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 14

I deserved my whoopins, my kids deserve the ones they receive, I don't go overboard with it....I mean, when the kids were young I spanked them and now its just a tone of voice that lets them know where the line is. I agree with BDA, NO MAN will question me about how my kids are raised! I don't go overboard but my kids are less likely to go to jail,the kids now days think they're tuff because mommy and daddy never had the balls to give them a smack on the ass when they deserved it. am I the only one that notices this trend of kids going overboard because they don't mind breaking the law because when they get home they go on a "Time Out"? I mean come on, don't kick their ass. just spank'em and put them in check when they are young so when they start getting older you can just warn them and thats all it takes.......

DOH!!!!
post #13 of 43 Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 AM
SPEED

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

I don't agree with "Smacking" a child. However, it is sometimes necessary to introduce the board of knowledge to the seat of understanding in the proper way. I try to take the time to sit down with my kids & make sure they understand what it is that they've done wrong & why they must be punished. Just smacking a child can cause severe issues later in life.
post #14 of 43 Old 07-10-2007, 12:38 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED View Post
I don't agree with "Smacking" a child. However, it is sometimes necessary to introduce the board of knowledge to the seat of understanding in the proper way. I try to take the time to sit down with my kids & make sure they understand what it is that they've done wrong & why they must be punished. Just smacking a child can cause severe issues later in life.
wel....yeah you don't just clock the kid and walk away....explaining helps to prevent the mistake from happening repeatedly!

DOH!!!!
post #15 of 43 Old 07-10-2007, 12:42 AM

Reputation Power: 16

My dad never realy smacked me..cupped me in the back of the head a couple of times when i was growing up to let me know i was being an idiot and should smarten the **** up and it didnt do any emotional damage to me and i think parents should have the right to spank their kids but like stated earlier shouldnt punch them or anything sever like that

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page