Dealing with road rage - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 08-08-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Dealing with road rage

When it comes to road rage I have to confess I am like most people I don't take it very well. When some teenage punk flips me the bird for whatever reason I am quickly searching through my car for something to bite down on while I slowly count to 50 and look the other way. When ever possible I try to let people break into my lane and make and efort to extend courtesy on the road. We all make mistakes and I feel for the oldies still driving who must get so stressed trying to keep out of everyones way. In fact I think it would make my day if an old timer gave me the finger, just once. People get so tough behind the wheel of their cars I guess we should be surprised more of them don't get yanked out of their car windows and slapped down. It's an ugly problem and I only think it's getting worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 AM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Dealing with road rage

simple solution is to not extend the courtesy, get EVERYBODY pissed off at you and then you'll just get so used to everybody flipping you off that you wont even be phased by it anymore. Or you can take it for what it's worth, somebody elses issues and stresses coming unleashed due to something very very minor. They need an outlet and you're the closest person
post #3 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 9:50 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_hurricane View Post
simple solution is to not extend the courtesy, get EVERYBODY pissed off at you and then you'll just get so used to everybody flipping you off that you wont even be phased by it anymore. Or you can take it for what it's worth, somebody elses issues and stresses coming unleashed due to something very very minor. They need an outlet and you're the closest person
Congratulations on having the most Canadian answer to any question ever. My motto too, Don't Worry...Be Happy
post #5 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 11:25 AM

I can use my martial arts advantage! I get to kick the sh*t out of one of my students to relieve daily stress. It really helps...
I learned to ignore stupidity on the road since I started commuting on the bike. Being on a motorcycle on the street is like being the underdog that can never win, so overtime, I am more focused on being safe than anything else. This attitude pretty much influenced the driver in me as well, and now I can keep calm in most cases. It also helps that I moved from NYC to SoCAL where drivers are much more mellow.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 11:56 AM

I used to work with a guy that was mildly psychotic in this area. He had a bike and we would go riding during our dinner break. Three times he put his kick stand down at intersections to kick someone's a** in the street. Each of the times I was able to convince him that we would definitely get arrested and seeing as how we were D.O.D. contractors with secret clearances it would eventually result in him selling his bike and his house. He's a little calmer now. We had both just gotten out of the military, and he was a little slower in the transition process.
post #7 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
I learned to ignore stupidity on the road since I started commuting on the bike.
There is a difference between stupidity and a blatant disregard. I usually overlook the stupid stuff or accidental stuff but when someone is willfully disregarding any respect for human life or being dangerous I get pretty fired up.
post #8 of 35 Old 08-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I am much calmer in my 30's than I was in my 20's. I have occasionally been very enraged driving, but nothing really bad ever happened. Now if someone gets angry with me I just smile and wave.

There was this pretty little thing driving a minivan in a big hurry a couple of months ago. She couldn't get past me because there was a truck full of roofers in the lane next to me. I could read some pretty foul things from ther lips and she was flipping me off. The guys in the roofing truck were dying of laughter. I smiled and waved.

I will chase the odd person down or call the cops on them, if they do something really stupid and dangerous. I like to chastise them soundly. When doing so I use civil language while making my point. I won't back down when folks drop litter or drive recklessly on my street. None of the guys I have talked to have gotten ignorant with me because they knew they were in the wrong.

Once I threw a Super big gulp of water onto the windshield of a tow truck who habitually drove 55 in a 30 on my street that is only one block long. A street that has kids on it all day. Probably would have thrown other things as well but that's what was in my hand. Don't see him going down my street too often anymore.

I firmly believe that if you hold folks accountable for stupid stuff they do they will change their behavoir.
post #9 of 35 Old 08-12-2007, 5:24 PM

I think it is a right to throw nasty, stinky, wet and sticky objects onto the windshields of taxi cabs that fail to yield to me and my kids. Under that principle, I have with me at all times a small coffee cup filled with a nice mixture of nasty stuff, bound together with some petroleum jelly and super-glue, that has an odor sufficiently frightening that I had to put a piece of vinyl on top in place of the top, because the odor could penetrate the plastic wrap I used to use...I have thrown it a couple times, and I have no doubt as to the usefulness of it. RE: the more typical road rage stuff, I always believed in the "living well is the best revenge" principle...More often than not, those idiots who blew by me in an aggressive huff got pulled over and ticketed, and I smile, laugh, wave, and give the finger as I ride/drive on by...The cops usually get a kick out of it too, especially when all the traffic is going slow enough for me to yell out: "I told you to slow down, ya idiot!"

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
PETER GRIFFIN: I do...You bastard...
post #10 of 35 Old 08-12-2007, 6:27 PM

Reputation Power: 15

I expect others to be as dumb as they really are. Its going to have to take an extra special kind of stupid to get a response from me.

I stay focused on the one thing that I know will not turn on me: the road. But if the road turns on me, that's all good.
post #11 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 AM

I know a Harley guy that keeps a bag of marbles on his bike. He gets in front of the guy (it has to be someone that intentionally tried to kill him) and tosses one or two over his shoulder with the intent of hitting a radiator or windshield.
post #12 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06CBR1KMFNRR View Post
I know a Harley guy that keeps a bag of marbles on his bike. He gets in front of the guy (it has to be someone that intentionally tried to kill him) and tosses one or two over his shoulder with the intent of hitting a radiator or windshield.
That is quite a serious and dangerous act...Reckless Endangerment, I believe...Another reason to presumptively despise Harley riders...My cup o'crap is for my pedestrian transpo, on city streets only.

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
PETER GRIFFIN: I do...You bastard...
post #13 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 12:08 PM

I guess I am going nuts but I am beginning to feel like I am too nice on the road. I try to let people in, cut in front of me or whatever but it seems other drivers see this ass weakness and they act crazy. I usually end up getting screwed and stuck behind someone going 5 under the speed limit while everyone freight trains right on by me. I really don't get when I'm coming up behind someone in the left lane who doesn't realize the left lane is for passing. I could clearly get in the right lane and semi cut them off and be on my way but I try to be Mr Nice guy and wait for them to get over which they never do. It seems if I was more of an asshole I would get places quicker and enjoy my ride/drive more.
post #14 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to loadedthorn

I usually am very forgiving of others doing anything I've accidentally done myself, ie cutting somebody off and whatnot. Absolute jackasses I just watch and hope a helicopter crashes on them or something.

There was one time somebody nearly took out my front end. I recognised the driver and followed them till they got where they were going. I took off my helmet so they knew it was me they almost killed. I'm pretty sure that and the can of verbal whoop ass I opened up changed their observational and driving habits.
post #15 of 35 Old 08-13-2007, 1:10 PM

Reputation Power: 15

For me, if you use your blinker I’ll let you in. But don’t try to swerve 3 lanes and cut over into me. If you missed your exit, YOU missed it, not my fault, get off the phone. I personally like the renegade style of driving, it clears the road quite nicely. Just swerve like a mad man all the time, people get the **** out of your way quickly. Since I drive a larger vehicle (f150) I’ll just squeeze you over and yes I pay back people that cut me off and I block assholes that like to shoot up the lane closures too, I love swerving at them, ****ers. Obviously in a car not a bike. I cant stand the idiot on his cell phone doing 55 in the fast lane. I HATE that. If I’m on my bike, I wait for lights, put the stand down and go have a talk with the driver.

The problem with drivers today is that they feel too safe, which means they take too many risks. All these airbags and what not, people figure “hey, I’m safe, **** you!”

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page