Pro Athletes Is It All About Money? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-12-2007, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Pro Athletes Is It All About Money?

I got buried down in a discusssion the other day when a friend commented that athletes of all sports (a general statement) were in it for the money. Now as a person who has played sport his whole life I found this comment a little off the mark. Sure money dominates at the elite levels but if you look below that elite level there are many many sports people that dedicate their whole lives to the sport they love. Being an elite sport peson puts you in the minority and I don't think it's about the money. If you start of with financial goals your not going to make it. Kids don't start out in life playing tennis or whatever thinking about how much money they can make from it, maybe the parents do but if your heart is not in it then your not going to make it to the top. Money is the bi product and you can bet your balls Casey and Valentino would still go at it on a pair of scooters just to prove the point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 1:21 PM

Re: Pro Athletes Is It All About Money?

Might not be about money for everyone but I think for most it is.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 3:15 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

There is examples of riders that have stated that when it quits being fun they will stop and have. Sure money is nice but do you really think Rossi needs it? One look at the guy and you can see he is having a blast most of the time.

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 6:26 PM

Doing what you love is great. What an awesome thing to be able to make money at, riding. But, how many dads are out there with their 4 year olds putting them on a 50cc dirk bike with dollar signs in their eyes? Quite a few I'd say. Just like dads with their kids in the back yard trying to teach them to throw a curve ball (yeah I know it's bad for their elbow).
post #5 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 7:56 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Look at someone like Roger Federer, theres another guy who does not need the money but is driven by the desire to create history. It's about competitive drive and the love of the game. He could make a lot more money than he does by playing more events but his focus is on raking up grand slam titles. Maria Sharapova on the other hand appears on the surface to be a product churned out to make as much money as possible in as many ways as possible. (for those of you who might not know who she is I have included a photo)
Attached Thumbnails
sharapova.jpg‎  
post #6 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 8:33 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I think anyone involved in a "sport," playing a game as source of a living, should be limited to a maximum wage of a market/time adjusted $100,000.00 in current funds. That puts them in the top 15% or so of earners in this nation, all for merely playing a game.

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
PETER GRIFFIN: I do...You bastard...
post #7 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 8:40 PM

why? Think about the business these people generate for promotion bodies and the like. I think good on them, make the money while you can your body is not young forever and often they are left with a lifetime of injuries for their trouble.
post #8 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 8:59 PM

To me it has to do with the recreational nature of the playing of a game, and how skewed our perspectives are. We allow public school teachers to start out around $35,000 with a max well under $100K after 26 years of work and 3 degrees, start policemen under $30K, start Social Workers under $30K with a max around $50K, we let food-service workers, even highly trained soux chefs, cap out on average around $45K...And some idiot who can throw, catch, or hit a little ball, ride a bike quickly, drive a car well, or block another man literally Millions of dollars a year? Bullsiht. I agree, that they should be able to profit from their skill, and let them get endorsement deals, clothing-lines, etc, but limit the basic pay to $100K, and funnel the extra back into the team, the town/city, and the minimally-paid people who keep the place these bastards play functioning.

BAILIFF: Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?
post #9 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 9:23 PM

We are simply not going to agree on this one but you have to weigh up the ROI, these people get paid so much because they generate so much. They entertain millions and as athletes have paid their dues on blood, sweat and tears. I would never deminish their skills, to reach the top in sport requires huge sacrafice and dedication with no guarantee. These people take risks and back themselves from a young age, the companies that pay these athletes make big profits, cap the athletes income and guess who gets the money then?

The real financial criminals of the whole sporting scene are the people that sell food and drink at the sporting venues.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 9:38 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbear View Post
I think anyone involved in a "sport," playing a game as source of a living, should be limited to a maximum wage of a market/time adjusted $100,000.00 in current funds. That puts them in the top 15% or so of earners in this nation, all for merely playing a game.
as long as I get to set the wage in YOUR trade

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 9:52 PM

Yeah, the people who sell food and drinks, who get paid that high rate of $7.55 per hour are the real criminals...Hmmmm...Smoke much pot?

I agree that they generate (although I have some opinions on that issue too, but will disregard them for the sake of this conversation) a huge amount of money...It only then stands to reason that we have to assign 2 things: responsibility and benefit...I think they ought to get paid a lot. Don't you think $100,000. is a lot? And, if Nike wants to pay them $50Mil, I have no problem. I just view sports teams differently. I agree that "solo" sportsmen might deserve more, but I think an adjustment of the market is in order...And, as for where do the extra monies go if you cap the salaries, I thought I stated it clearly in the previous post...Pump it back into improved facilities for the players and spectators, pay the low-wage workers more, and pump a bit into the local government to limit personal income taxes...No individual person should ever pay taxes on their income in the western world...We pump so much into corporate endeavors that themselves could be taxed to obviate the need for taxes on consumers. The money for the gov't would be the same, and corps would still make as much (as an increase in consumer cash = increased consumer spending, in the modern world), but the people who support everything in the western world would feel much more free and feel less gov't intrusion.

It would also make sports more competitive. Right now, teams like the Yankees and Red Sox routinely violate the salary cap...(By the way, the mere fact there is a cap indicates that there is a salary problem, you know...) and poorer teams can't really compete with them every year. But, because the market forces in those "cheating towns" allows for tons of extra to come in, they can violate the cap, pay the fines to the other teans for having violated the cap, and then still be both ultra-competitive and profitable. As a sportsman, I would expect you to understand the competitive point: that limiting the pay makes things more equal, and so more competitive...Nobody likes to play when they know, day in and day out, they are going to lose...Not because they are learning (like Nicky for a while) but becaus ehte deck is stacked against them...

post #12 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue View Post
as long as I get to set the wage in YOUR trade
To call catching a freaking ball a trade insults all the real tradesmen...You should be ashamed.

post #13 of 20 Old 08-13-2007, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbear View Post
Yeah, the people who sell food and drinks, who get paid that high rate of $7.55 per hour are the real criminals...Hmmmm...Smoke much pot?
My comment was a direct reference to the prices charged not the actual employee.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-14-2007, 5:01 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy75 View Post
I got buried down in a discusssion the other day when a friend commented that athletes of all sports (a general statement) were in it for the money. Now as a person who has played sport his whole life I found this comment a little off the mark.
Im going to drift this a different direction...

there seems to be a big difference between the US and Australia in terms of people playing sport.
Here is very common for people to continue to play competitive sport after they leave school and even college. Most of my friends played some sort of sport thru to 30 - a few a still playing sport in their 40s. Me - I play cricket and beach volleyball and Im in my 40s and plan to keep playing for a while (cricket hopefully for another decade or so)

From my (limited) time in the US there just isnt this level of social sport. Seems once you are past high school there are very few opportunities to play social competitive sport - by that I mean play in an organised competition, but just for fun and often at a level that is quite ordinary!!

My boss is an ok basketballer - over 6 foot but no great athelete. He (and at times me) play in a local comp here against a wide range of people from teens to 50 year olds. But when he lived in San Jose he said there wasnt any social level comps - the only games where for a quite high standard of play, well above what he could play. Here he plays in a local comp and isnt in the lowest level.

What Im getting at - the US system does seem setup to be about the money. If you dont make it to at least a semi-pro level then there is very little left. Sport for fun for a lot of sports seems to end at the end of school.
Here we have a decent percentage of the population playing australian rules football, soccer (sorry UKers Im using that word), rugby union, hockey, cricket, basketball, netball, squash, tennis - heck even beach volleyball!

Sport for fun and not money is rare in the US. Here its common.

(steps back after stirring the pot)
post #15 of 20 Old 08-14-2007, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknose View Post
Im going to drift this a different direction...

there seems to be a big difference between the US and Australia in terms of people playing sport.
Here is very common for people to continue to play competitive sport after they leave school and even college. Most of my friends played some sort of sport thru to 30 - a few a still playing sport in their 40s. Me - I play cricket and beach volleyball and Im in my 40s and plan to keep playing for a while (cricket hopefully for another decade or so)

From my (limited) time in the US there just isnt this level of social sport. Seems once you are past high school there are very few opportunities to play social competitive sport - by that I mean play in an organised competition, but just for fun and often at a level that is quite ordinary!!

My boss is an ok basketballer - over 6 foot but no great athelete. He (and at times me) play in a local comp here against a wide range of people from teens to 50 year olds. But when he lived in San Jose he said there wasnt any social level comps - the only games where for a quite high standard of play, well above what he could play. Here he plays in a local comp and isnt in the lowest level.

What Im getting at - the US system does seem setup to be about the money. If you dont make it to at least a semi-pro level then there is very little left. Sport for fun for a lot of sports seems to end at the end of school.
Here we have a decent percentage of the population playing australian rules football, soccer (sorry UKers Im using that word), rugby union, hockey, cricket, basketball, netball, squash, tennis - heck even beach volleyball!

Sport for fun and not money is rare in the US. Here its common.

(steps back after stirring the pot)
(Launching out of the pot...)
Absolutely. Although there are some loose local affiliations for sports like soccer or hardball with a few teams, there are no regional/national social organizations for sports at the adult level. There are some softball leagues with teams made up of local businesses or organizations, but generally there is not much.

But, I have a question:
This was about Pro, as in Professional, Athletes, right? Well, duh, by definition a professional is one who gets paid for the activity. So, absolutely, professional athletes are in it for the money...Is it possible that they would ride/play if there was no money in it (and they had the lesiure time off from their straight job)? Sure. ask them when they quit...I don't see so many old-amateurs doing it... But, as long as they ARE professionals, they must, by virtue of their position, be in it for the money.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page