U.S life expectancy - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

U.S life expectancy

This story from CNN today identifies a downward trend for the US when measured against the rest of the world. Not a nice feeling when your past the halway point...

Quote:
For decades, the United States has been slipping in international rankings of life expectancy, as other countries improve health care, nutrition and lifestyles.
Countries that surpass the U.S. include Japan and most of Europe, as well as Jordan and the Cayman Islands.
"Something's wrong here when one of the richest countries in the world, the one that spends the most on health care, is not able to keep up with other countries," said Dr. Christopher Murray, head of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.
A baby born in the United States in 2004 will live an average of 77.9 years. That life expectancy ranks 42nd, down from 11th two decades earlier, according to international numbers provided by the Census Bureau and domestic numbers from the National Center for Health Statistics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: U.S life expectancy

I've been meaning to see Michael Moore's new movie, Sicko, that goes into the depths of the US Health Care system and alleges it's worthlessness.
post #3 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 12:50 AM

Reputation Power: 13

I think Michael Moore's credibility went out the window when he tried to tie the Columbine incedent to the town having a Lockheed-Martin plant in it. From that point on I've had a hard time not dismissing his perspectives.

I agree with a lot of his goals, but I think he lacks credibility.

Did you see what God just did to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 2:27 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 18

When you consider it most of the U.S and western worlds health "issues" are self inflicted to some extent, if people want to beat the average then dumping the tabacco, cheese and alcohol is going to go a long way to improving your chances. It might just reduce the burdon on the health system at the same time. I also wonder how much the murder rate impacts on those figures from country to country, do they factor that stuff in?

To date I have not seen Sicko yet but I like the way Mr Moore gets a point accross so it's on the list.
post #5 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 3:45 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Murder rates would be in there - but they are usually pretty small for most western countries. Suicide rates are likely to be higher.
But road deaths is a big one - it also is a big killer of young people which really helps bring the average down.

One thing I read when I saw this the other day was that the average for black people was significantly different to the US average. The article was titled something like "want to live longer - dont live in the US'. Maybe it should have been "want to live longer - be white and live in the US"

The thing with these sorts of stats is that they are useful, but only when applied to the population as a whole. There is no point in an individual worrying about which country they live in. Unless its something you can do something about (like stop smoking) then I wouldnt worry.
But I guess we would all be shocked if we saw something like a stat that said riding a motorbike reduces your life expectancy as much as smoking (and I wouldnt be surprised if that was true)
post #6 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 12:17 PM

I don't know...perhaps I still too young at 34, but 77.9 years sounds like plenty to me. I am hoping I don't have to live to long past that age. I have too many injuries from martial arts and snowboarding, which will haunt me for sure in those years...I'd be praying to God...take me!
post #7 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
When you consider it most of the U.S and western worlds health "issues" are self inflicted to some extent, if people want to beat the average then dumping the tabacco, cheese and alcohol is going to go a long way to improving your chances. It might just reduce the burdon on the health system at the same time. I also wonder how much the murder rate impacts on those figures from country to country, do they factor that stuff in?

To date I have not seen Sicko yet but I like the way Mr Moore gets a point accross so it's on the list.
wudduya have against cheese now?? huh huh??
post #8 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 1:27 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Nobody spends more hours a day working than Americans. And that is our fault for chasing the Jones'.

Ride Red
post #9 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 2:39 PM

Us being one of the fatest if not the fatest country probably has a lot to do with both the money spent on healthcare and life expectancy.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 2:57 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCCAFan View Post
Us being one of the fatest if not the fatest country probably has a lot to do with both the money spent on healthcare and life expectancy.

If you check the epidemiology reports that has a lot to do with it. Enough that in med school all other diseases get 5-10 min of discussion in a lecture. We have probably had 7 complete lectures on diabetes in one form or another. We had to have full lecture in Biochem on the chemistry of diabetes. A full lecture in nutrition on the nutrition of diabetes. A full lecture in physiology on the physiology of diabetes... you get the idea. It is beginning to be a major player affecting the death rates of all other diseases like cancer, atherosclerosis, etc.
post #11 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
If you check the epidemiology reports that has a lot to do with it. Enough that in med school all other diseases get 5-10 min of discussion in a lecture. We have probably had 7 complete lectures on diabetes in one form or another. We had to have full lecture in Biochem on the chemistry of diabetes. A full lecture in nutrition on the nutrition of diabetes. A full lecture in physiology on the physiology of diabetes... you get the idea. It is beginning to be a major player affecting the death rates of all other diseases like cancer, atherosclerosis, etc.
Epi....uh, who? I make subs man! I'm no brain surgeon!
post #12 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 4:08 PM

Sorry, epidemiology is the study of who has what diseases, and where. If a health department gets a report of a kid with e. coli they won't think much of it. If they get five reports in a week, or any unusual amount then an epidemiologist would go out and interview all five or fifty to try to determine the link between them.

On a bigger scale epidemiologists prepare the reports on how many people in the nation die of lung cancer, colon cancer, breast cancer, heart disease, etc. Then try to determine the links between them. As our obesity goes up it seems that all of those other things do also.
post #13 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 5:17 PM

I see. Not at all what I thought it was gonna be.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 5:39 PM

Reputation Power: 37

While average life expectancy in most developed countries continues to increase, the rate of rise is slowing. Many experts worry that if we don’t improve our eating habits and level of physical activity, we will see an unprecedented decline in life span.Good health and disease prevention are usually toward the bottom of the list when we consider where and how we live. In America, a healthy lifestyle and disease prevention have not been priorities for community planners. With suburban sprawl, wider streets make less room for sidewalks. Malls and superstores have replaced local shops. Driving is no longer a convenience; for most people it is a necessity. Maybe that has something to do with it.. I read somewhere where the US obesity rate was 66%.. That cant help...
post #15 of 20 Old 08-15-2007, 5:43 PM

They predict that the current generation of children could be the first ever to have lower life expectancy than their parents.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page