Protection plan worth it? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Protection plan worth it?

Honda sent me an offer to buy the extended warranty today for my '06. Is it worth it? 420 bucks for another year of warranty? I mean, what is the chances something they actually will cover will break? They won't do the 16,000 valve service on this I'd assume. Are bike warranties like cars where the slightest mods will cause them to give you a hard time over warranty work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Re: Protection plan worth it?

Never crossed anyone elses mind?
post #3 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Double check on the time frame of the extended warranty, should be more than a year's worth of coverage for $420. I honestly don't know of anyone that has had to use their warranty. And no, warranties don't cover normal service interval maint unless you worked out a deal with your dealership when you bought the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 3:47 PM Thread Starter

It is 417 for a year. I rounded. You can get 36 and 48 months for more money. I think 48 is like 740 sp they obviously want you to buy the longer one.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 4:12 PM

I've never purchased any kind of an extended warranty on anything other than the US Built Vehicles I've owned and never regretted it. I read once that the "insurance companies" basically perform a risk assessment (which makes complete sense) and the fee that they charge for the extended warranty represents the mean expenditure they would expect to pay out over the duration quoted. So; that means they expect you to incur a $420 bill over the years worth of coverage for the bike. They play the odds and say "give me the $420 and I will keep it, if your bike breaks down I will pay out on the carefully chosen items that I have agreed to cover. If your bike doesn’t break down, I just made $420". I'm sure the math model is a little more complex than I just described, but the basics couldn't be much different.

When I've purchased vehicles from dealerships and the extended warranty is offered, I normally begin to dispense rhetoric on "why would I need an extended warranty, aren't these vehicles very good? Do they have a history of breaking down a lot?". Of course, one must play a little simple minded bit to get the sales drone to hang himself with the argument you so cleverly will weave. In the end I push for them to throw in the extended warranty and I agree to finance the vehicle with the lender of their choice. Otherwise, I bring my own lending office to the table and turn down the extended warranty. The dealerships normally stand to profit more from the lending institutes arrangement than they do from the extended warranty profits. They more often than not will throw in the ex warrant no cost to you (if you played your hand right)

Ultimately; it's your choice, I just think one has to really way the risks and the costs and make a sensible decision.

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."

Last edited by Phadreus; 08-21-2007 at 5:38 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2007, 4:37 PM Thread Starter

Good advice. I'm gonna go with...No!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page