Mobile Phones at school - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-29-2007, 4:23 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Mobile Phones at school

I just caught part of a news story here about mobile phones in school. Does anyone think kids need to have a mobile phone at school? Before and after school I am fine with but during school hours what do they "need" a phone for? What age do you allow your kids a phone? I know my 6 year old thinks she needs one but it's not going to happen for a long time yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-29-2007, 6:35 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: Mobile Phones at school

I believe a mobile phone in the younger society is becoming a fashion statement. You will soon have to start forking out for either new phone, top up or even an 18 month contract.

I believe a mobile phone should be for emergency, but at the age of 6, is she really that independent to have one?

Personally, I wouldn’t get one yet. Wait until she starts getting the hang of what money is and how hard it is to get it out there, because it is very easy to give in to your kids, and also very easy to get a huge bill on your door step.

Hope all is well,

Twincam
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I think the current trends toward youth having phones at younger ages is ridiculous. I have discussed it with my wife and let her know that our kids will definitely not have phones until at least H.S. I did just fine without one. I called home in my entire school career maybe three times? It is just a distraction that kids do not need. Our education system has enough problems without the kids trying send texts all day. I would maybe be willing to deal with my kids on it if they have straight A's and are staying out of trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-31-2007, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 16

I'm on the opposite side of the argument here. My parents got me my first phone when I was 12. I had it off during school tucked into my bag. I used to bike to school in the morning (pedal bike) and it was 45 minutes each way. They wanted me to call them when I got to the school in the morning and then if I had to stay after school for sports practice of whatever activity i was involved in. It also came in handy because if I went out to a friends or anything and then from there we decided to go anywhere my parents had piece of mind that I was able to contact anybody should there be a problem or get ahold of them. Or that they could get ahold of me at anytime. I think having a cell phone when you're a younger kid (12 or so) isnt exactly a bad thing. It's how they use it. It comes down to an issue with the parents. My sister and I never ran up our bills the calls were for a purpose everytime because we knew our dad would slap up into the next billing period if we did. On the other hand one of my sister friends was just given a cell phone by her parents without a big sit down meeting to outline how and when the phone should be used and the kid ran up a 300 dollar bill. Another perk to the kid having the cell phone is it gives you the power to give them controlled freedom.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-31-2007, 7:19 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_hurricane View Post
I'm on the opposite side of the argument here. My parents got me my first phone when I was 12. I had it off during school tucked into my bag. I used to bike to school in the morning (pedal bike) and it was 45 minutes each way. They wanted me to call them when I got to the school in the morning and then if I had to stay after school for sports practice of whatever activity i was involved in. It also came in handy because if I went out to a friends or anything and then from there we decided to go anywhere my parents had piece of mind that I was able to contact anybody should there be a problem or get ahold of them. Or that they could get ahold of me at anytime. I think having a cell phone when you're a younger kid (12 or so) isnt exactly a bad thing. It's how they use it. It comes down to an issue with the parents. My sister and I never ran up our bills the calls were for a purpose everytime because we knew our dad would slap up into the next billing period if we did. On the other hand one of my sister friends was just given a cell phone by her parents without a big sit down meeting to outline how and when the phone should be used and the kid ran up a 300 dollar bill. Another perk to the kid having the cell phone is it gives you the power to give them controlled freedom.
I can see where you are coming from. Its good your parents could trust you and also told you what was going to happen. I think it also depends how independant your kids are, which you were by the seems of it.

My kids are coming onto 16 now, they have all got mobile phones (my son has about 10) and they have to pay as they go (non contract). The money they use is from their pocket money, they can use it all, or they can use none. I hope it will teach them that money doesnt grow on trees

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page