Oil Breaks through $80 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-14-2007, 5:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Oil Breaks through $80

Oil has broken the $80 per barrell mark, this can only mean more scooters on the roads so something needs to be done.
Putting a positve spin on it we might see more people getting back into sports bikes as they try to save money on fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: Oil Breaks through $80

If I remember right, it was around $50 a barrel for years. From $50 to $80, yet the price of gasoline more than tripled. Something is askew.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-14-2007, 1:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
Something is askew.
PHSSST, NOOOOOO
Are you saying there's corruption?!?! IT CAN'T BE

Maybe you've stunted, but have you been stunting in the nude?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

I guess if we can't afford to pay the price demand will drop away and so will the price - simple economics right? The problem with oil is that it contributes to the price of just about everything, I think you can just about factor oil into everthing you do, eat, wear, own consume..
post #5 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 2:21 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattaway View Post
If I remember right, it was around $50 a barrel for years. From $50 to $80, yet the price of gasoline more than tripled. Something is askew.
The price of oil plays a small part in the price of gasoline. It's supply and demand and the demand is increasing faster than the supply.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 2:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
The price of oil plays a small part in the price of gasoline. It's supply and demand and the demand is increasing faster than the supply.
Yes and when prices are rising it gives everyone along the considerable "oil chain" including governments a chance to cream off some extra millions from the consumers.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 2:59 AM

Reputation Power: 14

i love filling my cars with gas about 80$ for tahoe another $35 for work truck and $10 in the 929 hmmmm which one will i take to work monday???
post #8 of 18 Old 09-16-2007, 3:12 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Yes and when prices are rising it gives everyone along the considerable "oil chain" including governments a chance to cream off some extra millions from the consumers.
Refinery capacity is over 90% utilized. If gasoline prices drop, consumers use more. Raise prices and demand drops. If they offered gasoline and they offered a modest profit, the demand would far exceed supply. The end result would be shortages.

Why don’t the energy companies expand capacity? The simple answer is because of us, the consumer. We want alternative energy options; like hydrogen. If they expanded capacity and then it went to waste, they don’t recoup their cost. Any increase in capacity means a drop in prices and thus less profit to pay for the new refinery. The last cost I heard for a large refinery was around $10 billion.

Look at other reasons why costs go up. Ethanol is being used for E85 or as an additive in regular gasoline. Ethanol in the US is mainly produced from corn. Corn prices have been going up due to a higher demand and thus less supply. A great idea turns into a bad idea when the supply isn’t there.

Look at Germany. The use glucose in biofuels, and prices have gone up 30% in 2006 alone. Those 30% higher prices have had an impact on products that use them, like gummy bears. These higher prices have forced the maker of gummy bears to increase the price and thus their demand is less. Another example of a great idea but failed due to the lack of supply.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-20-2007, 2:31 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Oil has broken the $80 per barrell mark, this can only mean more scooters on the roads so something needs to be done.
Putting a positve spin on it we might see more people getting back into sports bikes as they try to save money on fuel.
Yeah, sucks don't it? I thank the lord almighty that I live in Seattle Washington and aside from an occasional shower ( no, it doesn't rain here all the time) I can ride year round!! Woo Hoo!! I pull the CBR into the gas pump wearing a big sh_t eating grin and fill the tank. Oh no, did it say $14.00? LOL $80 dollars a barrel? It don't matter to me.

post #10 of 18 Old 09-20-2007, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Refinery capacity is over 90% utilized. If gasoline prices drop, consumers use more. Raise prices and demand drops. If they offered gasoline and they offered a modest profit, the demand would far exceed supply. The end result would be shortages.

Why donít the energy companies expand capacity? The simple answer is because of us, the consumer. We want alternative energy options; like hydrogen. If they expanded capacity and then it went to waste, they donít recoup their cost. Any increase in capacity means a drop in prices and thus less profit to pay for the new refinery. The last cost I heard for a large refinery was around $10 billion.

Look at other reasons why costs go up. Ethanol is being used for E85 or as an additive in regular gasoline. Ethanol in the US is mainly produced from corn. Corn prices have been going up due to a higher demand and thus less supply. A great idea turns into a bad idea when the supply isnít there.

Look at Germany. The use glucose in biofuels, and prices have gone up 30% in 2006 alone. Those 30% higher prices have had an impact on products that use them, like gummy bears. These higher prices have forced the maker of gummy bears to increase the price and thus their demand is less. Another example of a great idea but failed due to the lack of supply.
The answer is simple. Nuclear. France is 90% nuclear. Works great for them. Here in the US? The GD green people have all but killed nuclear power here. Thanks so much. If we went nuclear here then the demand for gas would plummet. Thanks so much green people!!

post #11 of 18 Old 09-20-2007, 3:17 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 13

I had my car converted to LPG so it's clean and cheap to run. Less than half the cost of petrol and it's much the same to drive. I think it's a pretty good alternative, do they use LPG in the states?

The Australian govt also rebates at least 50% of the install cost. - Nice.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-20-2007, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy75 View Post
I had my car converted to LPG so it's clean and cheap to run. Less than half the cost of petrol and it's much the same to drive. I think it's a pretty good alternative, do they use LPG in the states?
Not really. Most people here don't use propane. According to wikipedia, only 190k vehicles in the US run off propane (mostly taxi fleets and such). I guess there's was like 238 million vehicles on US roads back in 2005. Also, forklifts (450k in total) use propane as well.

As far as individual use is concerned, almost nobody uses it. In fact, most people here don't even know you can run a car/truck off propane. My dad is one of the those few propane uses out there. He converted his pickup truck to run off of propane about 10 years ago.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-21-2007, 5:19 PM

Reputation Power: 59

When i went over to Florida for a few weeks, the drivers over there were complaining of the prices going over 2.65ish a gallon.

1 Gallon = 4.5 Litres right (UK)?

Over in England its about £0.90ish per litre, that would be £4.05 a gallon which would be around about $8.10 (I think)...

Oil over here is becoming sooo expensive, thats why we are all in 1.4/1.6/1.8/2.0 litre cars...
post #14 of 18 Old 09-21-2007, 5:30 PM Thread Starter

It's not so much the oil is expensive but the tax, if you look at what you are paying in your country and then subtract the tax you can see there is more than 1 bunch of crooks with their hands in your pocket.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-21-2007, 6:02 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
there is more than 1 bunch of crooks with their hands in your pocket.
That is very true.

If the government want more or need more money, they just add the few pence/cents here and there, and eventually they get what they need.

I think i heard that fuel may even go up to about £1.00 a litre, about $9.00 a gallon - well truthfully, if i was in their case, i think i would do the same, but im not, so i have to live with the increasing fuel price rises...

I wonder how they can cut them on motorbikes? More electric ones? We will go to the day and age where we can only do 30MPH, and even still doesy drivers will still some how manage to crash.

Anyway, take care all

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page