What should I do? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: What should I do?

I've been going through the interview process with my company to finally relocate. A sweet position came up in VoIP, new group for the company. I got the position today, but it's not all sweet. I'm hourly now + I get oncall pay. Anything after business hours while oncall is OT, no questions asked. The new position offered is a 10% raise because it's salary, no more oncall pay (I'll still be on call), and no OT, which blows ass. And the kicker is that they rate Dallas and Seattle the same as far as cost of living goes so I don't get a living expense adjustment. They will move me up there and pay for all that, and my annual bonus goes up 5%. I work standard hours now, 40, unless I'm oncall and that is usually a 50-70 hr week. The new position will be 10-12 hour days for the next 6mos to a year. So it's good and bad. The company I work for, like many, just aren't into breaking raises off to people of any kind, they are chinsing hard. This new position will be better in the long run, and caps out much higher than my present position, + I'll be working in company HQ instead of remote. I'm kind of on the fence, but I think I'm going to take it. What do you think?

22 days until it begins...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:20 PM

Reputation Power: 29

More details, please. What company do you work for?

Here in Oz
post #3 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bacchus : More details, please. *What company do you work for? *
What does that matter? + c'mon man, I don't want to get myself busted here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:32 PM
dB

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
booth23 : This new position will be better in the long run, and caps out much higher than my present position, + I'll be working in company HQ instead of remote. *
Given what you said here, and the fact that it sounds like a position and relocation that you're really interested in...I say go for it!

post #5 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:42 PM

Reputation Power: 17

At my company, the salary retirement is much better than the hourly retirement, so if that is true at your company, than go for it. Never say no to a move up, even though it might be a temporary step backwards. They might not ask you again.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:44 PM

Quote:
booth23 : Quote (Bacchus @ Oct. 15 2003, 10:20pm)More details, please. *What company do you work for? *
What does that matter? *+ c'mon man, I don't want to get myself busted here
Sorry, not trying to pry. My S.O.'s daughter lives in Seattle and we flew up for a visit last summer. First time I'd ever been to the Pacific Northwest. Have you ever been to Seattle? I wouldn't live there if you paid me. First thing I noticed was the impossibility of finding a parking place, almost anywhere. Granted, this was a week trip so I can't really give a fair opinion of the place, but it wasn't my cup of tea, among other things just too big a city. In closing, get ready for a DRASTIC change of climate. But hey, if the pay is worthwhile, go for it (at least temporarily). Not trying to talk you out of anything (like I phucking could), just my opinion of Seattle.

Here in Oz
post #7 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:45 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
ULEWZ : Never say no to a move up, even though it might be a temporary step backwards. They might not ask you again.
If opportunity knocks, grab it and don't let it go. That mentality hasn't failed me ever since I can remember. Take it and run
post #8 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:45 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Take the job and buy some good rain gear. Congrats!

Craig
post #9 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 PM

Take it from the relocation king: *go with your gut... if it feels 100% right, go for it. *If something seems fishy (even slightly), investigate and get answers or hold out for something better.

I can tell you from personal experience, going from hourly + OT to salary is a big adjustment. *Make sure the salary jump is more than what you typically make on hourly wage + OT. *If it isn't equal or more, you aren't winning. *When you're on salary, your ass is theirs 24/7.

If you need any advice, just ask or PM me... I've been through this more in the past few years than most people go through in a lifetime. *The most important thing is your happiness, bro.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #10 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Bacchus, yes I've been to Seattle many times. *I will be living in a burb, not the city. *And the climate doesn't bother me in the least bit, + skiing is one hour away, and Whistler is a few hours a way, so I'll be snowboarding on the weekends during the winter. *I want Sacramento, or Phoenix but I can't do either of those right now. *Jobs in Cali are limited, and any company jump in my industry means a cut in pay, no thanks. It's only 2 hours from Vancouver where hookers are legal too

BizJet, yeah I'm going to work my ass off, I know this. *The salary thing really sucks ass. *I'm already own3d in this line of work anyway, so not much changing. *Good thing is what I'll be learning is the best thing right now for my career. *I wish I could heckle them about $, but reality is that the mgr. has received 200-300 resumes, and I made the cut. *If the project goes well, it's going to lead to more $, if not, then I'm not any worse off and my mgr. said I'm welcomed back anytime. *Normally I'd get a good raise and so forth, but this job market is really tough. *Either way, I'm just happy to have a job right now, got many friends out of work.

post #11 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 11:24 PM

Booth--

I agree with BizJet that you should go with your gut. However, If you don't have anything tying you down (house, family, etc.), or they're willing to go, take a chance. You will never know what 'might have been' if you pass it up. Besides, you'll be closer to Sacramento if you take it.

'00 CBR929RR (RIP)
'01 XR650R Dual Sported
'02 RC51
post #12 of 21 Old 10-15-2003, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

You should quit the industry and go into business selling nothing but R1s. That's where all the money will be at.
A perfect, magic bike that will make you millions.
The fact that it is the ugliest thrown together bike on the market won't matter to the squids and posers. They'll still buy them, and you'll be a millionaire with time and money to spare.

Seriously, though, if you want to move to Seattle take the job. You will be tied down, and your holiday season this year will pretty much be ruined (you're the new guy, and will get all the shitty on-call hours - plus making slightly less), but if there is long term opportunity that you are willing to go through it all for, it may be worth it.
If nothing else, it's a change of scenery and it sounds like you can alway go back if you don't like it.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-16-2003, 1:12 AM

Quote:
booth23 : Bacchus,*it's only 2 hours from Vancouver where hookers are legal too
Well there ya go! Why didn't you say that in the first place?! Seriously, I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Here in Oz
post #14 of 21 Old 10-16-2003, 3:39 AM
Fig

Reputation Power: 19

Booth,
As someone who has been salary for the past 15 years, I can see your frustration on switching from hourly. I had a friend who did the same, and he just wasn't happy. I tried to explain to him that to make it in a business, you are going to have to bite the bullet and go exempt. I can guarantee you there are no management positions or higher that are hourly. It's just something you have to do and get used to if you want to climb the corporate ladder. Myself, it was a personal triumph when I finally landed a salary position, so I never really felt bad about it. Sure, it makes for some shitty hours, but it has its benefits. I can take lunch whenever I damn well please, and no one questions my time in and out. I say go for it.

I have also seen situations, like when I worked retail auto parts, where when they asked you to manage a store in BFE, you had better say YES SIR, because they weren't going to ask twice, and it was career suicide if you didn't take it, no matter how crappy the town.

Once you work as a salaried employee for a while, you won't even worry about the difference. Besides, you basically beat out 200 people, hell that's something to be proud of. And with the current economy and job climate, I am guessing some of those 200 would be willing to kiss a lot of ass to get the job.
Good luck with it,
Fig
post #15 of 21 Old 10-16-2003, 7:47 AM

Reputation Power: 27

I would take it, better growth potential. You cannot look at today, you have to look at next year. If the company you are with now is faulting on raises and other options then it is time to go before you yourself are gone.

Take it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page