Plishing...and I fell for it!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-20-2007, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Plishing...and I fell for it!!

If I misspelled the name plishing sorry but I did use google to look it up. I am such a dope. I work at a bank where we've been educated to watch for this crap but in my haste and irritation I fell for it and now I'm paying for it. I get this email from AOL who handles my email account. It looked entirely authentic and said AOL was going to disable my email account and I needed to re-enter my personal information to coincide with their records. I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. I filled in my name, address, SSN, credit card number and mother's maiden name. Why didn't I just write them a check with my account's balance? Could I have been more dense? No. I was annoyed by the email, I depend on my AOL email account for all my personal and business use and after the second email identical to the one I filled in all my information. It took like five minutes after I sent the email for it to sink in that I have F__KED up and started canceling everything. I contacted one of the three major credit reporting companies and paid them $100 to monitor my credit for 1 year. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to alert everyone to not make this stupid mistake like I did.

......I thought I was smarter than this...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2007, 2:20 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Plishing...and I fell for it!!

Man that is tragic and I hope everyone who reads this learns from it. They should string these guys up if and when when they catch them. So now you have to keep an eye on your stuff so good luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-20-2007, 6:33 AM

Reputation Power: 0

I just got an email that was supposedly from Paypal, looking for my email and password. I was thinking that I could make up some fictitious information and see what happens. The email said that my account had been restricted. Well even if it were I wouldn't really care too much.
I will not give any one institution all of my personal information. Some web sites want my date of birth and address with postal code when you register. Then if you read the fine print, they are not responsible for what happens if they get hacked and loose your information. I say no to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-20-2007, 7:26 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Your right about the paypal one - I think I get maybe 3 of those a week and they look the real deal. Most of these scams a very professional and will unfortunately fool a lot of people. It's organised crime and they recruit uni students and the like to do the dirty work for them. Most financial institutions don't send out emails for any reason, that is my understanding.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM

Reputation Power: 39

I never follow any links in any e-mails. If I get an e-mail from a company I do business with, I open a new browser window and go to their site on my own, and log in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page