Employers/managers...and co-workers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Re: Employers/managers...and co-workers

Hey all,
A situation has developed recently in the workplace and I would like your input. I have a new employee(three weeks) that has been doing very well and the customers seem to like her...today, she was more talkative than usual and couldn't seem to stay on task...she worked hard when she worked and never shied away from a customer or task...and I'm pretty sure she was drinking...I was busy all day and only had fleeting contact with her and once smelled a sweet/minty smell...Shnaaps(sic) perhaps...or breath mints? She maintained physical control well, at least what I saw of her, but I'm almost sure she was under the influence. My question; any suggestions on handling this? I have been doing this #### for twenty years now and have never had to deal with a drinker(on the job)...I've had my fair share of hangover/late to work, etc. and am fairly adept at sorting those issues out. Next to being unsure how to approach this situation, is that I am leaving to our National buying show a week from today and already do not have the staff to cover both stores as it is...If need be, I will let my business partner fend for himself at market, but there has to be a productive way to sort this out. If you made it this far, thanks and if you have insight to offer, THANKS.

J

For '05 I promised myself I would practice tolerance...so if people would quit being so STUPID I'll be more tolerant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 12:25 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Its sorta hard to give suggestions with no clue what buisnees your in, what her position is, or her responsabilities are. Do you have a no drinking during work hours policy that she knows about, or has signed anything to that effect? If your policy is no drinking, period, can her. If it has never been discussed, perhaps its time to have a meeting and/or circulate a memo. Theres a big difference between a beer at lunch versus being drunk on the job, I think the company policies just need to be laied down and enforced. You dont want to jump the gun and fire her claiming she was drunk, very hard to prove, and lawyers get expensive. Perhaps keep close tabs on the situation and find out if she really is doing something wrong or detrimental to the buisness.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 12:28 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Oh ya, and it could be other things as well besides alcohol, legal or illegal drugs, prescription meds for hyperactivity, anxity, depression, etc. If you really notice different moods, perhaps confront her about it before anything drastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 12:35 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
G-Force Junkie : Oh ya, and it could be other things as well besides alcohol, legal or illegal drugs, prescription meds for hyperactivity, anxity, depression, etc. *If you really notice different moods, perhaps confront her about it before anything drastic.
Case in point:

<=== currently on medication

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
post #5 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 12:45 AM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Diablo

yeh if there was anything I learned from watching situations come and go is to not re-act unless there is an immediate risk of lawsuit or physical harm. If your company has a HR dept. Consult them. They or maybe you will have to have a talk with the legal dept too. Document everything with dates and times and people (preferably other management) that can coroborate the situation.

I am not offering legal advise but if I were you....' Sally ...I am sorry..we cant have you on the job if you have had a drink at work due to our policies. If I go against policy I will have to answer for it with my job. Take the day off with pay and its my bad for not making it clear about drinking on the job is not allowable'

Hopefully she wont do it again.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 12:59 AM

Reputation Power: 29

Is she good looking? Big hooters? Nice big, full, round lips??? If so, you know what to do, my man. Get back with us in a couple of days and let us know how she was .

And now, seriously, be careful. This could turn into a bag of worms that you never imagined. I guess I would have to agree with the member that suggested confronting her (in a non-confrontational way) and discussing your concerns. Myself, if I had any doubts whatsoever, I would just wait and watch for a second occurrence that cemented my suspicions before taking any action. I know what you do for a living and therefore would give it time and see if the suspected infraction occurrs again.

Good luck f(d)umbd(f)ucker.

Here in Oz
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 1:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey Chain...PLEASE come save me, save me...Baccy is picking on me, he said,'Good luck f(d)umbd(f)ucker.' *Did you see what he called me...CHAAAIIIINNN please protect me from the evil little troll. * *

Thanks for your input miniman...unfortunately I don't have the luxury of waiting for another incident...Guess I'll do the confrontational thing in the morn...Thanks again peeps.

J

For '05 I promised myself I would practice tolerance...so if people would quit being so STUPID I'll be more tolerant.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 3:18 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Blame it on someone else, you know, 'It's been brought to my attention that another employee (or customer) believed he/she may have smelled alcohol on you the other day (or whenever). I haven't observed this but would like to inform you that if you're ever found out to be intoxicated while here at work, we do have a zero tolerance policy for that behavior and it could result in termination.' Then go on to say, in the meantime, I'm seeing a lot of positive things in you such as ...'

Then ask her if she'd like a ride on a big bike and that she'd have to straddle the bike in the rear as you'll be driving it fast and hard and that she should hold on tight! Then remind her you also have a zero tolerance policy for sexual harrassment. Yeah, I think that will all go over quite well

Okay, just recite the first paragraph and it should come out professional and constructive.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
post #9 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 8:07 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Has this only occured that one time? If it has I wouldn't do anything as of yet unless it occurs again.

Like it was stated before it could be anything that could be causing her to act that way. I know when I took those 'herbal' supplements (i.e. Hydroxycut/Xenadrine) I got like how you described.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 8:14 AM

Reputation Power: 23

Send a message via AIM to showmethebombs Send a message via MSN to showmethebombs Send a message via Yahoo to showmethebombs

careful on asking if your not SURE about the fact of drinking.

Team Honda - well sorta...
post #11 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 8:19 AM

I'm with Tombstone - talk to HR... candidly. *Voice your concerns but make it clear that you don't have proof, you don't want to open a case and you only want some guidance in how to handle the matter if it escalates. *HR is there to help you cover your *

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #12 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 8:27 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
BizJetGuy : I'm with Tombstone - talk to HR... candidly. *Voice your concerns but make it clear that you don't have proof, you don't want to open a case and you only want some guidance in how to handle the matter if it escalates. *HR is there to help you cover your *
He is HR, it's his business.

Personally I'd let it go this time. Just kind of keep her on a close watch. If it happens again, I would try what DevilDog suggested.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 8:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 35

FD -

I subscribe to a personnel law update service from a company called Business Legal Research. For a couple hundred bucks a year, they get you a big ass book or a CD specific to your state and send updates monthly.. It adresses issues of this nature. (I'll be back in the office Monday and can fax you the 'national' page. Hit me w/ a PM...

Also, your state or local Chamber of Commerce has these resources.

If by being violent you mean Islam prescribes expansion of its rule through warfare and is therefore violent then so be it. - SPDUDE
See you at Grattan June 25-27 2007 !
Email me for info.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 9:42 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I have a small company and few employees but here is my strategy. We have monthly meetings outside of work in the middle of the week. I give some freebies from account reps and maybe a bonus for a good month, staying late to complete a car, etc. They give me suggestions on how to make their jobs easier, supply ordering, etc. It's informal and a free meal, drinks for the crew. I also let them know when my insurance changes, make them aware of liability issues, security concerns and I think that would be a great time to mention policies and procedures and even get their input on a procedures manual if you don't have one. You could also use a trusted employee to mention drugs/alcohol in the workplace to get the ball rolling. You won't be accusing anyone of anything and be issuing a warning at the same time.

Bill
post #15 of 19 Old 10-16-2003, 9:53 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via MSN to figment

Quote:
fumbducker : Hey all,
A situation has developed recently in the workplace and I would like your input. *I have a new employee(three weeks) that has been doing very well and the customers seem to like her...today, she was more talkative than usual and couldn't seem to stay on task...she worked hard when she worked and never shied away from a customer or task...and I'm pretty sure she was drinking...I was busy all day and only had fleeting contact with her and once smelled a sweet/minty smell...Shnaaps(sic) perhaps...or breath mints? *She maintained physical control well, at least what I saw of her, but I'm almost sure she was under the influence. *My question; any suggestions on handling this? *I have been doing this #### for twenty years now and have never had to deal with a drinker(on the job)...I've had my fair share of hangover/late to work, etc. and am fairly adept at sorting those issues out. *Next to being unsure how to approach this situation, is that I am leaving to our National buying show a week from today and already do not have the staff to cover both stores as it is...If need be, I will let my business partner fend for himself at market, but there has to be a productive way to sort this out. *If you made it this far, thanks and if you have insight to offer, THANKS.

J
You have nothing but a suspicion now. I would do NOTHING until I had a specific, verifiable problem.

If continues to be a real concern, start keeping specific records with dates and times for later use.

Luck favors those who are prepared.
Are you smokin that stogie or is it smokin you?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page