REDHAT INSTALLED! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-16-2003, 1:03 PM Thread Starter
Jay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to Jay
Re: REDHAT INSTALLED!

smile on my face???

Hell yeah!
It was so easy to setup.
Although it took forever, and the install was 2.5gigs.

The Open.office is sweet, and has the XP conversions.
(although I do not know how well it works)

First impression. Ummm??? FFFFRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!
An OS and Office for FREE is just great.
Looks are nice, a little OS10, but again, FREE!

And the thing is loaded with all sorts of tweaking options, stuff that MS hides or you need to goto a 3rd party for.

We'll see, I currently have the RD9.0 H.drive in the old PC, but will install it soon in the new PC.

F5000sl Admin(mt & road biking)
CyclingCentralVA.org

MtbikingCentralVA.org
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-16-2003, 4:19 PM
Fig

Reputation Power: 19

Nice isn't it......

I am running Slackware at home and at work. I am trying to convert my home NT to Linux, but since I have miles and miles of asp code, that's not something I can accomplish in a weekend or two. At work, I am doing WebSphere admin, and some other assorted tasks. If it weren't for the Windows systems, I could perform my entire job on a linux box. I won't even go into the discussion of our production NT boxes...

To add a layer on top of this, our company contracts all PC's, laptops, and support for said boxes through a third party. Our company is making a profit, but watching them pay the prices they do for some of this equipment makes me cringe sometimes. It really does bug me. And the kicker is, I bet other than a certain subset of people, if you had a company wide distribution of Linux set up and configured, we could save bundles. With the office products now, the secretaries could type their little memo's and check their email with ease. I am sure I could ramble on about this for hours. Suffice to say I am typing this on a linux machine at work that was headed to the trash pile till I rescued it..
Fig

post #3 of 6 Old 10-16-2003, 4:56 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Linux 0wnz j00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-16-2003, 5:01 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Just don't run any TPS benchmarks on your servers, or the fact that they can't spawn more than a couple of threads when running at 90%+ utilization (particularly on the TCP/IP stack) will show that in a gunfight, W2k or W2003 walks the Linux stuff when you get beyond 50 or so clients . . .

Something to do with 'certified hardware drivers' and whatnot . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-16-2003, 6:47 PM
Fig

Reputation Power: 19

In my case, if I need serious throughput, I can put the app on OS/390. Funny, because most of our WebSphere apps usually end up connecting to our mainframes anyway.

What I find to be a major pain in the ass is the large target that windows has become. We need rollerskates to skate around all the boxes patching with security packs. Then you end up with that one machine like I have at home that aplies the security patch, reboots, and then barfs every time you try to come back up. I realize Linux has it's problems just like any other system, but sometimes being in the background and out of the main line of fire has it's advantages.
Fig
post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2003, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Jay

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to Jay

Quote:
Fig : We need rollerskates to skate around all the boxes patching with security packs. Then you end up with that one machine like I have at home that aplies the security patch, reboots, and then barfs every time you try to come back up. I realize Linux has it's problems just like any other system, but sometimes being in the background and out of the main line of fire has it's advantages.
Fig
I hear you, it pisses me off and I only have 3 computers at home.
Everytime I install an update, down goes the computer.
I have to reinstall some driver, or something.

Computers are a headache period, but Windows doesn't help.

Thing is, I was oblivious to it until I started learning in school about other systems, then I realized on my own how MS really does have a lock on the market, and 99% of all users dont realize what the heck is going on.

Oh well, hopefully this works out.

F5000sl Admin(mt & road biking)
CyclingCentralVA.org

MtbikingCentralVA.org

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page