Fear Of Flying - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 10-03-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Fear Of Flying

Does anyone else here want to own up to this one? I don't get it, I can be low flying on my bike without a second thought. Other sports I've tried off road racing, cars or bikes are not a problem. Fast on water? Easy! Put me in a big jet however and I start to sweat blood, I've flown all over the world but the anxiety has never gone away no matter what logic I apply. The fear is much worse taking off, once we are at altitude and those big engines are not working quite so hard I can relax a little. Small planes I seem to handle much better but it's still not a picknick. I've considered sedatives but I'm not keen on going down that path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Re: Fear Of Flying

Yeah, I don't like flying either. I think it's more to do with the lack of control of the situation. Whenever possible, I drive, but circumstances dictate at least 3 round trip flights a year for me. Sometimes more.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 7:30 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via AIM to fireblade3876 Send a message via MSN to fireblade3876

I suffer from the same and i thinks its because as previousley said we are so used to being in control, especially on a bike, that when we have to rely on someone else its nerve racking, plus thinking about falling out the sky at 32000 feet is enough to scare the s**t out of anyone

RIDE FAST KEEP LOW !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 7:48 AM Thread Starter

I thought it was partly because I have plenty of hands on experience with mechanical failure. I know the stats on aircraft crashes and I think your right control plays a big part in it as well. Do people like us ever find a cure? To me it is a real act of courage to step onto a 747, those things should never get off the ground. People who see us at the track think we are brave going so fast but I don't get scared when I ride.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 7:55 AM

Maybe its a different kind of fear for certain people, i have a friend who is a skydiver who quite happily throws himself out of planes but he said he would never go near a bike as they scare him, maybe its a genetic thing or something, that allows certain people to enjoy what others are scared of.

RIDE FAST KEEP LOW !
post #6 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 8:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade3876 View Post
Maybe its a different kind of fear for certain people, i have a friend who is a skydiver who quite happily throws himself out of planes but he said he would never go near a bike as they scare him, maybe its a genetic thing or something, that allows certain people to enjoy what others are scared of.
I'm sure your on the right track, I just wonder if people ever learn to deal with it, by that I mean they can get on a plane as easy as getting on to a train or bus.
post #7 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 8:12 AM

I seen a documentary on the discovery channel whereby they use VR simulators for people who are absolutly petrified of flying, and to some measure there was a good degree of success.

Another probably more realistic option is a good bootle of whiskey 30 mins prior to flying should do the trick lol

RIDE FAST KEEP LOW !

Last edited by fireblade3876; 10-04-2007 at 5:21 PM.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 10:25 AM

Reputation Power: 17

They make non-sedating anxiolytics that you could try. Buspirone and Propranolol come to mind first. They both require a prescription but they might help you enjoy the flight a little more. Propranolol is often used by public speakers.

Flying has never bothered me too much other than the control issue. I have spent hundreds of hours in little Cessna's and am much more at ease in them than I ever will be in a 747 but the saftey stats are much better for the 747. I do think it is possible to get over it. The only fear I ever had was water. So I did a lot of canoeing then progressed to kayaking and can enjoy being in the water much more now.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 3:24 PM

Reputation Power: 13

I would ge nervous as crap whenever I had to get on a plane, I couldn't even think of sleeping, I just stared out the window the entire time until I got the white swirling dots in front of my eyes. That was until I took a flight with my best friend and his girlfriend and she was even more scared than I was. After I saw how stupid it is to be scared I never was scared of flying again. The best part was when I kept egging her on, telling her, "Look how much the wings flex! Holy crap, there are thousands of gallons of fuel in it and it's bouncing up and down with that engine hanging off of it and it's only glued together" Following flights I got onto like I was getting in the car, read magazines, and even fell asleep through the landing.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 5:57 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Sorry, the airlines are boatloads safer than your cars. Heck, your bikes are about as safe as my Cherokee, and both are outright death machines. If that isn't enough to quell your anxieties, like the man said drink heavily. Definitely my favorite form of sedation.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 8:14 PM

Reputation Power: 15

I hate flying commercial, but only because of all the retarded people
but I have ordered a drink, still on the ground,
& was asleep before I got it, before lift-off
& woke up landing

other than that, flying happens, almost everyday
post #12 of 31 Old 10-04-2007, 8:33 PM Thread Starter

It's hard to explain you know - it's just fear. No matter what logic I apply, no matter how many time I run the stats through my head or the maintenance schedules or whatever it's not going away. I've seen and heard of people who have it much worse than I do and still fly. I don't have a prblem with sharks unless they are realy big ones so I guess everyone has a different button.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 5:22 AM

Reputation Power: 15

post #14 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 5:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that I just dropped my laptop ...
post #15 of 31 Old 10-08-2007, 6:11 AM

Reputation Power: 16

flat out terrified of flying.

We did the 27ish hour drive from Ontario to Florida because I refused to get on a plane.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page