Marion Jones Drug Cheat - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-04-2007, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Marion Jones Drug Cheat

I know we had a thread running on drugs in sport. Here is another high profile track and field athlete guilty of using perfromance enhancing drugs. Listening to a few "experts" on the subject the substance was a sort of cancer fighting drug (TCH) they had engineered to be undetectable, it boosts muscle mass and strength surprise surprise and allows athletes to train harder and longer. This expert more or less said the real sport is staying ahead of the drug tests and given the money involved it's big business and very widespread. I'm sure there is a lot more to come on this but it's a sad day for athletics, I guess she will have to hand back her medals now. Noboddy wins.

Quote:
For years, Marion Jones angrily denied she was a drug cheat, swearing she was clean and daring anyone to prove otherwise.
Seven years after her triumphs at the 2000 Olympics, the three-time gold medalist has admitted in a recent letter to family and close friends that she used steroids before the Sydney Games, The Washington Post reported Thursday.
She's scheduled to appear in U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., on Friday to plead guilty to charges in connection with her steroid use, a federal law enforcement source told The Associated Press. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing, and would not provide specific details about the plea.
"I want to apologize for all of this," the Post reported Jones saying in her letter, quoting a person who received a copy and read it to the paper. "I am sorry for disappointing you all in so many ways."
Jones said in her letter that she faced up to six months in jail and would be sentenced in three months, according to the newspaper.
The admission also could cost Jones the five medals she won in Sydney, where she was the most celebrated female athlete of the games. She didn't win the five golds she wanted, but she came away with three and two bronzes, and her bright smile and charming personality made her a star.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Re: Marion Jones Drug Cheat

This is a great lesson for those who will say to the accussed, "If you arn't guilty, then why aren't you screaming it the the four corners of the Universe?"
I've always hated that arguement. And this shows that screaming inocent has nothing to do with the actual facts.

Ride Red

Last edited by nedro; 10-05-2007 at 1:21 PM.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-05-2007, 6:07 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
this shows that screaming inocent has nothing to do with the actual facts.
True dat. Everyone deals with that sort of stuff in their own way. Some people wrongly accused will go around fighting it with everything they have. Others would just be so crushed that they give up right then and there. Goes both ways for the guilty too.

As far as the cheating I'm not fully convinced that all of the people that she beat weren't doped up also. I don't trust any of them anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-05-2007, 6:13 PM Thread Starter

I got the name of that drug wrong ..... I don't think the tests will ever keep pace with the cheats from what I have heard.

Quote:
Jones now admits she took "the clear" - the steroid THG - for two years, beginning in 1999, and that she got it from former coach Trevor Graham, who told her it was flaxseed oil, the Post reported.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-05-2007, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 19

It doesn't surprise me she was using, what does surprise me is that she would admit to it. The fed's must have had something on her to confess like she did.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #6 of 16 Old 10-08-2007, 3:45 AM

Reputation Power: 21

And when they take back her gold medals, will they hand one over to the greek lady who got silver but was banned after doing the runner on the drug tests just prior to the 2004 games??

And I gather her confession was to reduce the size of possible gaol time.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-08-2007, 5:25 AM Thread Starter

Some have been calling for the end of drug testing - let them go their hardest. It's all turned into a bit of a joke your right. What about Phelps in the swimming, who is buying into all the records he has broken in the last 12 - 18 months. And so it goes, a record is broken and you think oh I wonder what drugs they are on...
post #8 of 16 Old 10-09-2007, 3:33 AM

Reputation Power: 21

I dont think opening it up is the answer.
Then its as much about who is willing to trade their health for a medal. And yes there are plenty who would happily give up 20 years of their life for a gold.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-09-2007, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknose View Post
And when they take back her gold medals, will they hand one over to the greek lady who got silver but was banned after doing the runner on the drug tests just prior to the 2004 games??

And I gather her confession was to reduce the size of possible gaol time.
She gave them back yesterday, I believe.
She's probably a decent person at heart. Just got caught up with keeping up with the...er..herself.
Jail doesn't scare bad people. Hell, they probably meet all their old friends when they get sent there.

Ride Red
post #10 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 3:08 AM Thread Starter

Yep and so the medals get passed down the line, we will never know who actaully won the race without chemical assistance though... Athletics has become a bigger joke than it already was. I've said it all along, look at the guys who line up for the 100 / 200m and tell me they are not loaded with juice?
post #11 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 2:54 PM

In Jerry Rice's hayday, he was lower than 4% body fat. And you never saw muscles on him like the track guys have today.

Ride Red
post #12 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 4:59 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Its all one big freak show for entertainment anyway. If its not wrong for nearly all our foods in the grocery store to have non natural and processed ingredients, why not sports? Let's see where we are going. Let sports lead the way with our desire to adulterate our health. I want to see athletes fight for their freedom to be the best at the game. These are not normal people with 9-5 jobs. They are dedicated sport freaks. I want to see how extreme they will go.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 5:01 PM Thread Starter

Sort of like motogp on legs you say?
post #14 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 5:24 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Sort of like motogp on legs you say?
Absolutely. These guys are the pros. They want to be superhuman. Let them show us how its done.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post

In Jerry Rice's hayday, he was lower than 4% body fat. And you never saw muscles on him like the track guys have today.

I come in at under 6% by a couple different testing methods and I have no muscles that look even remotely like those guys.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page