collarbone fracture - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 9:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: collarbone fracture

i recently broke my collar bone after a high-side at a track event recently. The Doc put figure-of-eight strap around me and said the bone should join-up in 6-8 weeks. Given that the bone is broken into 3, its not that painfull. infact my sprained wrist hurts more than the collar bone.
wanted to know from others your recovery story. where do you buy the figure of eight strap cause i wore mine without a T-shirt and wish to buy a new one. pharmacies arond my home don't have one. Also, i read somewhere that i should keep the chest out and sit up straight as much as possible for a decent alignment of the bones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 9:22 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Welcome back....get well soon...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #3 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 9:25 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Good to see you posting again

A few people here have had their collarbones broken, so you should get some good, pertinent replies.

Also:

https://www.fireblades.org/cgi-bin....=gautam

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 10:24 AM

Quote:
gautamde : i recently broke my collar bone after a high-side at a track event recently. Given that the bone is broken into 3, its not that painfull.

I'm assuming it's a fracture not compound fracture. I broke mine years ago (football) and my shoulder and elbow were put in a cast to keep my shoulder from moving. As a matter of fact, they took Xrays of my dislocated shoulder and didn't notice the fracture of my collarbone. So they took my arm over a chair and were pulling the crap out of it trying to pop it back in place and after they saw the agony on my face they took another Xray. Only then did they realize they were trying to pop my dislocated shoulder on the same side as my fractured collarbone. Hurt like hell. 6 weeks and real tender afterwards. The body odor from the armpit was terrible, but they probably don't do the full cast thing today. Can't help with the figure 8 strap.

Haven't read the latest on that thread, hope you gave your kudo's to the HondaGals!
post #5 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 10:52 AM
dB

Yes, wear the figure-8 strap. They initially put me in a sling and I could tell the broken ends of my collarbone got farther from each other if I let my shoulder roll forward. So I made an attempt to keep my shoulders back all the time and ended up with cramps between my shoulder blades that hurt worse than the bone break. After 4 weeks of this and no sign of any healing...went back and they gave me the figure-8. Obviously, it keeps your shoulders back for you and has the added benefit of pushing down on any wayward bone ends with the strap that goes over your shoulder. It took another 4 weeks until the bone healed, but they were much more comfortable (and I had use of both hands).

I got the figure-8 strap from the doctor's office. Maybe try a good pharmacy...one attached to a hospital.

Hang in there.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 12:52 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Quote:
gautamde : Given that the bone is broken into 3, its not that painfull.
Broken into 3? Are saying that you have 2 'fractures', and the bone is not broken and over-lapping? When I broke mine the ends of the bone were actually overlapping by 1/2' or so. They put me in one of those harnesses also, but that did not draw the bone apart enough to align the ends. The doctor said the alternative, surgery and pinning, usually resulted in problems more often than not and an over-lap healing would not be a problem. So now I have a cool 'knob' that protrudes out but is no problem. No loss of range of motion or anything. It's been too long ago to remember the actual healing time, but it probably was about 4-6 weeks. Good luck! BTW, I'm up to 23 broken bones now

Here in Oz
post #7 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 12:57 PM

Reputation Power: 45

My favorite part of a broken collarbone is when you roll over on it at night while sleeping.

Bacchus, how have you broken so many bones?!

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #8 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 1:08 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Quote:
luvtolean : My favorite part of a broken collarbone is when you roll over on it at night while sleeping. *

Bacchus, how have you broken so many bones?!
Childhood shenanigans, one street bike accident (the collarbone, and very close to a broken leg), motocross, a broken nose in the only fistfight I got into in high school, mountain biking has exacted a very good toll also - multiple ribs and an elbow. I figure I'm carrying an extra couple of pounds from all the additional bone material after the knitting processes .

Here in Oz
post #9 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 1:24 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Wow. I've only had around 5:

Broke radius and ulna in left arm jumping over a couch when I was round 10.

Broke scaphoid and at least the calcaneous in my street accident in 2001 (may have been more than that, my heel was pretty messed up).

Broke my scapula this June.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #10 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 1:37 PM

Oh yeah? At the age of 12 I had a full cement block thrown on top of my head by my older brother while playing King of the Mountain (construction site). He was very competitive. I think he broke my brain!
post #11 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 1:52 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
tigerblade : Broke my scapula this June.
Broken scapula? How'd you do that?

I broke my scapula in '96 while mountain biking. Actually, I broke it just AFTER mountain biking...like a half-second after I came off the bike. I was practicing for a local race on this slightly gnarly section called the 'MegaDip', which sends riders ~40' down a steep hill, and back up a slightly less steep section on the other side. The whole thing takes about 4-5 seconds to traverse.

I came through it a few times, but kept instinctively wanting to use the brakes on the downhill, just to keep things in control. On what would be my final pass, I forced myself to stay OFF the brakes through the whole section. Everything went perfectly until I started back up the other side. Just after the bottom, the hill rises fairly steeply, then levels out a bit and the path takes a 30 degree right. Well, I had too much speed, and got airborne off the little 'ramp'. As I was in the air, I couldn't follow the trail/path, and quickly realized I was going to hit a big-ass tree. Incredibly, I clicked out of my pedals and managed to throw the bike off to the side, but twisted sideways in the process, and hit my left shoulder and helmet into the tree. I semi-blacked out for a couple of seconds, and woke up with a broken scapula.

That same park caused me an injury to my left elbow (broken bursa sac), also due to mountain biking (this time in a race). I actually got back on and finished that one, despite the blood and various other fluids streaming from my elbow.

And then there was 2002, when I highsided my 'precious' R1 (you like that, booth?) and broke my collarbone. I didn't really allow it to heal properly; it's kinda crunchy. It doesn't hurt or ache now, but I imagine it will someday. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

So, all that said, I'd recommend (to you, Gautam) that you take care of that collarbone and let it heal up right.
post #12 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 1:53 PM

Quote:
SuperDave : Oh yeah? *At the age of 12 I had a full cement block thrown on top of my head by my older brother while playing King of the Mountain (construction site). *He was very competitive. *I think he broke my brain! *
Holy sh$t!!!

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #13 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 2:19 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Someone start up a 'How many bones have you broke' thread and I might be able to compete.

As far as the collarbone goes, I've broken my left one twice. First time had an 8 strap and sling and the strap had to be tightened every few days, kinda like traction. It sucked big time. Second time from my last wreck they didn't give me anything. It's a nice and lumpy collarbone now. Of course I wasn't mobile so I guess there was no need to imobilize the collarbone then.

I take it you can sit on the pot by yourself and wipe your own ass so think of that...if you're feeling sorry for yourself.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 2:35 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
TAZ : Broken scapula? How'd you do that?
Lost the front at MAM and went barrel-rolling.

YOR 2003

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #15 of 23 Old 10-17-2003, 2:52 PM
TAZ

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
tigerblade : Quote (TAZ @ Oct. 17 2003, 12:52pm)Broken scapula? How'd you do that?
Lost the front at MAM and went barrel-rolling.

YOR 2003
Hey; I just read the whole thread. Good writing, and thanks for sharing it!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page