Iraq Rebuild Dollars - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

View Poll Results: Iraq Rebuild Dollars - Loan or Grant?
Money spent should be a grant. 3 33.33%
Money spent should be a loan. 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 42

Re: Iraq Rebuild Dollars

Concerning the vote in the US Senate and House today.

Do you think dollars spent in Iraq should be a loan or a grant?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 10:39 AM

Reputation Power: 20

I doubt very highly that many US members would vote 'grant'. Is this the $86,000,000,000.00 you're talking about? Did anyone else see the recent 60 minutes show on the former inspectors, US nuclear warfare experts, former leading foreign affairs advisors's remarks to Powell's evidence speech at UN versus the 'real' reports? Ooops, is this political? Sorry.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

My personal feeling is that it should be a loan.
That said, Diplomatically it can't be a loan. If we were to go in there and say, 'here's some money, pay it back with interest' there would be a huge cry of 'see, the US only wants Iraq's money'. There are still a bunch of moronic individuals that truly believe money was the reason for the war, and if we make this a loan, they win. The entire Muslim world would look down on it (again, I personally could care less about that), and would further the rift in some nations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 10:58 AM
Jay

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to Jay

I do not think it really matters.
Here is what happens.

The government takes our $$, and appoints it to rebuild Iraq.
That money is then given to their friends who own the huge companies that will rebuilt the country.
Again the poor are put down, and the rich get more.
I highly doubt we'll ever see that money again.

F5000sl Admin(mt & road biking)
CyclingCentralVA.org

MtbikingCentralVA.org
post #5 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 11:19 AM

Reputation Power: 17

My personal feeling is that it should be a grant. The Bush administration's position has always been that we were not attacking the 'people' of Iraq nor would we seek to control their oil revenues. The Bush administration's position has been that we attcked Iraq (1) to locate WDM; (2) to prevent terrorism; and/or (3) to free the Iraqi people from Saddam. In any case, we attacked and destroyed much of their infrastructure. Now, for Congress to say that the people of Iraq should repay us for the honor of destroying their infrastructure seems like a slap in the face and is contradictory to our stated foreign policy. My thought is that we as a country are morally obligated to rebuild that country because, right or wrong, we attacked. In fact, our history supports such a position. Even though we were not the aggressors during WWII, we rebuilt Germany and Japan . . . and they didn't pay us a dime. I don't think the Iraqi 'people' owe us anything. My 2 cents.

2002 CBR954RR
2000 CBR1100XX
post #6 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
SuperDave : I doubt very highly that many US members would vote 'grant'. *Is this the $86,000,000,000.00 you're talking about? *Did anyone else see the recent 60 minutes show on the former inspectors, US nuclear warfare experts, former leading foreign affairs advisors's remarks to Powell's evidence speech at UN versus the 'real' reports? *Ooops, is this political? *Sorry.
I am speculating that the poll will be evenly split.....60/40 at the most.....

No need to apologize for political....actually we have been on a fairly good track for discussing volatile topics in a controllable manner lately.

FWIW, I feel it should be a grant, and voted accordingly.

Edit:
Just read MotoP's post......

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 11:56 AM

Quote:
BDA116 : My personal feeling is that it should be a loan.
That said, Diplomatically it can't be a loan. If we were to go in there and say, 'here's some money, pay it back with interest' there would be a huge cry of 'see, the US only wants Iraq's money'. There are still a bunch of moronic individuals that truly believe money was the reason for the war, and if we make this a loan, they win. The entire Muslim world would look down on it (again, I personally could care less about that), and would further the rift in some nations.
There are still a bunch of moronic individuals that truly believe the people of the United States were lied to by our President and his staff as to the reasoning/justification of war (while alienating us from the UN and many others). I am so furious after watching the story of the information given to Powell and how it was tipped completely upside down to favor the political agenda at hand. Did they not believe the experts wouldn't stand up afterwards and state that the information in that speech was not what they researched and reported on, but in fact - purposely fabricated/manipulated? For money? maybe - No. Other agendas? Yes.

Refridgeration trucks (Biological warfare proof) from satellite photos were actually firetrucks, confiscated alumimun pipes (attempted Nuclear Warfare production proof) that experts deemed incapable for core use - material more consistant with long range rocket material. The list goes on and on.
Did the US ultimately do the right thing? ???
Are we proud of our courageous Armed Forces? No question.
Did the US Administration decieve the public/world into doing their right thing? Yes

Who's paying for it? Guess.

The poll should be: Should an impeachment investigation have already begun?

It's only 86 or 87 billion, we've got TRILLIONS left! Or is it...trillions in debt? One of those two.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Nice try. If you're gonna turn it into one of these, threads, I'm done with it.
Be furious all you want, but it's only your opinion. The facts are there to support the war, 60 minutes always shows what they want to show.
Get the truth, then come back.
Until then, I'm done trying to educate those that are unwilling and unable to be.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 12:08 PM

Good boy BDA! Yea don't get huffed up, it's just my opinion and 60 minutes isn't the only source. Thanks for letting ME vent. (whispering - but he did lie to us all)
post #10 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
SuperDave : The poll should be: *Should an impeachment investigation have already begun?
Then by all means, go create that poll....

My question was not about events that led us here, but instead, how we should pay for it....loan or grant.

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
post #11 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 12:39 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

I'd suggest that it be a grant, but that the U.S. should not be the only country sending money and people to aid in the rebuilding effort. Keep in mind that the Iraqi people in general do not even want us there. However, I'm sure they wouldn't mint some schools, hospitals, and improved infrastructure.

Perhaps instead of a 'loan', Iraq can return the favor with favorable oil prices for the U.S...
post #12 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Baketech : Quote (SuperDave @ Oct. 17 2003, 10:56am)The poll should be: *Should an impeachment investigation have already begun?
Then by all means, go create that poll....

My question was not about events that led us here, but instead, how we should pay for it....loan or grant.
My question was more of a rhetorical question, I knew what you were asking, sorry - I just vented a little.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 2:03 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
BDA116 : Get the truth, then come back.
Until then, I'm done trying to educate those that are unwilling and unable to be.
BDA, then where are those WMD's that you assured us they had found? *I remember you telling us specifically that they had them?

22 days until it begins...
post #14 of 14 Old 10-17-2003, 2:56 PM Thread Starter

Looks like they approved the 87B....but the status of a portion of it to be treated as a loan is to be decided later.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The House approved Friday a $87 billion spending bill for Iraq and Afghanistan. The Senate was expected to follow suit later Friday, but its version of the bill has one key provision opposed by the White House -- converting some of the reconstruction money into loans, as opposed to grants, for Iraq.

The House cleared its bill by a 303-125 vote, and its version follows the White House's wishes in keeping all of the reconstruction money as grants.

That means the question of loans versus grants is not settled as the two bills must be reconciled in a conference committee.

Late Thursday, the Senate approved the loan provision and eight Republicans joined that bipartisan effort to force Iraq to repay about half of the $20 billion in reconstruction funds. That $10 billion would only be an outright grant if other nations forgive the vast majority of Iraq's existing debts.

That amendment passed by a vote of 51 to 47.

One of the amendment's co-sponsor, Sen. Evan Bayh, D-Indiana, said it was designed not to saddle Iraq with more debt, but to encourage other nations, including France and Germany, to forgive debts incurred during Saddam Hussein's dictatorship.
SNIPPED

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page