DLP projection TV - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 1:28 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ
DLP projection TV

I'm considering a DLP rear projection set. I like the price point, the size, the relative simplicity of the mechanical design, and the increased reliability factor (as opposed to plasma sets). I'm looking for a 43" or 50" set, and have only seen the Samsung models so far.

Does anyone have a DLP set? Willing to offer any impressions/feedback?

Last edited by TAZ; 07-24-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 1:35 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Re: DLP projection TV

Here's a link to the 50' Samsung model, if anyone cares to take a peek: HLM507W

78 pounds and less than 18' deep. Next to a rear-projection CRT HDTV monitor, this one was impressive.
post #3 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 1:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to sweetonion

The only thing I would suggest is make sure you see the exact model you are getting in person. *I've auditioned a couple different brands/models of DLP side by side and some didn't do so well with a lot of motion, lots of artifacts as things panned across the screen. *Others were excellent. *Something else to consider is LCD. *Similar price similar dimensions with softer color transitions and they seem to handle motion better. *IMO the blacks are a little blacker with DLP but they're a little smoother with LCD. *Subtle shadows are a little more pixelated with DLP than LCD. *It won't be long before Zeeman wades in with some good info I'm sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Regarding LCD: would I have to worry about dead or hot pixels? What cons are there to LCD? Sony has a nice 'Grand Wega' 3-LCD set in the same price range that looks good.

I agree with your assessment of the blacks on the DLP set. Not enough gradiation on the set that I saw on the retail floor; there were no shadow details. The conventional projection unit next to it was less impressive overall, but definitely had more subtle (and better) dark shading capability.
post #5 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 1:58 PM

Reputation Power: 25

On the DLP's, I would wait a little bit. I'm set to get one as well. My friend in the business says to wait for the Toshibas, which I'll do.

22 days until it begins...
post #6 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 2:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to sweetonion

Quote:
TAZ : Regarding LCD: would I have to worry about dead or hot pixels? What cons are there to LCD?
That's a good question. Unfortunatlely also one I didn't think to ask.
post #7 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
TAZ

Thanks for the reply, booth23.
Any rough ETA on the Toshibas? By the end of the year, perhaps? It won't help me for the World Series or most of the football season, but if there's a compelling reason to wait, I'll take the advice. (What are the reasons your buddy gives for recommending Toshiba?)
post #8 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 2:39 PM

Zeeman is your man for these types of questions.

Insignificant Member
post #9 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 3:25 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Quote:
TAZ : Thanks for the reply, booth23.
Any rough ETA on the Toshibas? By the end of the year, perhaps? It won't help me for the World Series or most of the football season, but if there's a compelling reason to wait, I'll take the advice. (What are the reasons your buddy gives for recommending Toshiba?)
Yes wait. A good friend of mine owns his own home audio/video business and has been in business for many, many years. He is also one of the most skilled motorcycle mechanics I have ever heard about or known (just a little background). He went to the home audio convention (national), think it was Dec. of last year, and told me that Samsung would be the first to market. He said the chip they are using (for most DLP's), don't remember if it's TI or what, will revolutionize the industry, best invention since CRT's. The picture is a little better than Plamsa, won't burn, and you can play games all damn day on it. The only thing you'll have to replace from time to time is the bulb. Apparently, there are better units in the pipe. He really knows his and is making me wait. I'll let you know something when he calls me on this. In fact, if you want one for a little over cost, and cheaper than you can get at Best Buy etc, let me know. The price is also supposed to drop some more, Bruce said about one year from first to market, the price would kick down, they are just much cheaper to mfr. I would wait if I were you. Oh yeah, he installs all types of systems for people in Tucson, some request specific products, that he doesn't agree with but installs anyway. Out of all the on the market he says Toshiba is as good as anything, and considering the cost is the best thing going.

22 days until it begins...
post #10 of 42 Old 10-17-2003, 7:10 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Send a message via AIM to nhfirefighter13 Send a message via Yahoo to nhfirefighter13

TI came up with the technology....I worked on a small part of the developement (manufacturing end) on the chips.
The single most important feature, IMO, is the fact that the mirror unit can be replaced. Supposedly they are good for about 8000 hours or so.

If you never try anything new, you'll miss out on many of life's great disappointments.
post #11 of 42 Old 10-18-2003, 12:10 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Whatever set you get, just make sure that the inputs are DVI-HDCP compliant - that's the latest wonder in anti-piracy BS - and if you're set doesn't have it, there's a chance you wont be able to use the digital video inputs with future set top boxes (DVD players, satellite receivers, cable boxes, etc.)

If you really wanna do some heavy research, take a gander at AVS Forum. Do a search there before you post a question, they even less tolerant of dead kittens than the folks here.
post #12 of 42 Old 10-18-2003, 6:53 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Iím buying a 42' Grand Wega maybe 2.
The price seems to be good, picture is nice and the weight of the TV is amazing. My girlfriend will be able to rearrange the place without me having to call a few friends over to help.

Thanks for the link to AVS as it has helped in making a decision.
post #13 of 42 Old 10-18-2003, 7:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

You yanks get all that cool stuff way before we do.

We only have the Sim 2 rear proj DLP's, they are a great set, but damn, they cost a lot of $$$.

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #14 of 42 Old 10-19-2003, 2:21 AM

Personally, I'm all over the 3-chip DLP projectors that are just hitting the consumer market here in the states. Yeah, yeah, they're like $30K at the moment, but they too will get cheaper - my strike price on of those babies is $10K.

Until then, I'm quite happy with my Panny HD RPTV.
post #15 of 42 Old 07-22-2004, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth23
Yes wait. A good friend of mine owns his own home audio/video business and has been in business for many, many years. He is also one of the most skilled motorcycle mechanics I have ever heard about or known (just a little background). He went to the home audio convention (national), think it was Dec. of last year, and told me that Samsung would be the first to market. He said the chip they are using (for most DLP's), don't remember if it's TI or what, will revolutionize the industry, best invention since CRT's. The picture is a little better than Plamsa, won't burn, and you can play games all damn day on it. The only thing you'll have to replace from time to time is the bulb. Apparently, there are better units in the pipe. He really knows his and is making me wait. I'll let you know something when he calls me on this. In fact, if you want one for a little over cost, and cheaper than you can get at Best Buy etc, let me know. The price is also supposed to drop some more, Bruce said about one year from first to market, the price would kick down, they are just much cheaper to mfr. I would wait if I were you. Oh yeah, he installs all types of systems for people in Tucson, some request specific products, that he doesn't agree with but installs anyway. Out of all the on the market he says Toshiba is as good as anything, and considering the cost is the best thing going.
What's the latest word on this? It's time for a new TV here and looking for info.

'02 954

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page