Do you ever look at your cars engine? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-2007, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Do you ever look at your cars engine?

I was thinking about roadside repairs today - no thanks, we used to rip engines out and work them over (at home), headers, cams, 4 barrell carbs. I remember we used to carry spares around with us, rods for the 350 cause at high RPM every once in a while she would bend one. We had the rocker off and changed them in the street in 10 mins. Father and son could look under the hood together and understand what they were looking at. They were the best of times.

I'm afraid to look under the hood of a new car, its all plastic and clean, you could serve food off the engine of most new cars. Not much wiring and if the things ever break you need to get them towed. If your looking under at a modern car engine today your probably wearing a white lab coat and gloves right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2007, 8:35 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue
Re: Do you ever look at your cars engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
I was thinking about roadside repairs today - no thanks, we used to rip engines out and work them over (at home), headers, cams, 4 barrell carbs. I remember we used to carry spares around with us, rods for the 350 cause at high RPM every once in a while she would bend one. We had the rocker off and changed them in the street in 10 mins. Father and son could look under the hood together and understand what they were looking at. They were the best of times.

I'm afraid to look under the hood of a new car, its all plastic and clean, you could serve food off the engine of most new cars. Not much wiring and if the things ever break you need to get them towed. If your looking under at a modern car engine today your probably wearing a white lab coat and gloves right?
yep and they crapped out in under 100K with rare exceptions. You had to change points every 15K, wires every 40K, rotor and cap every 30K ..... I will take a new car any day. And yes I still do almost 100% of my own work.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #3 of 8 Old 10-26-2007, 6:43 PM

Reputation Power: 0

hi yes i look at my car engine and every body elses as it is what i do for a living and to fund my bikes as for them being boring they are not and some of their technology should transfer to bikes i would welcome multiplex on bikes it seems a logical step regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Most of that plastic is just covers to hide the wires fuel rails etc. Take the plastic off and its still the same engine as before only now its computer controlled ignition and fuel injection.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2007, 6:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

I took the plastic cover thing off the RX8 a few days after we bought it and just said WTF? It was the exact opposite of most cars where you have a bay stuffed with all kinds of stuff, and while you may not really want to do major work on it, at least you know what is what.
There is just a tiny little thing stuck way down low and behind the axle. Best thing I could make out was the huge alternator. Don't have any desire to learn how to work on that rotary thing.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-01-2007, 4:45 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116 View Post
I took the plastic cover thing off the RX8 a few days after we bought it and just said WTF? It was the exact opposite of most cars where you have a bay stuffed with all kinds of stuff, and while you may not really want to do major work on it, at least you know what is what.
There is just a tiny little thing stuck way down low and behind the axle. Best thing I could make out was the huge alternator. Don't have any desire to learn how to work on that rotary thing.
The rotary is an interesting engine, very thirsty so I understand. I'm also told that turbo rotary = fast
post #7 of 8 Old 11-01-2007, 5:55 PM

Reputation Power: 27

I was a proffessional mechanic. If the car goes, I ain't lookin' at chit! On the other hand, none of my cars ever see a payed mechanic.

Ride Red
post #8 of 8 Old 11-01-2007, 8:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
The rotary is an interesting engine, very thirsty so I understand. I'm also told that turbo rotary = fast
Yeah, that car is a heavy drinker, that's for sure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page