OT - car idling issues. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2007, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

OT - car idling issues.

ok here's the dealio.

i have a BMW 1990 525i, the joint where the pipe to the resonator is broken, have to get it fixed soon ( it's way too loud).

anyways. i had an old battery ( interstate 700 cca) in the car that wouldn't hold a charge but once boosted the car ran fine. no idling problems.

i couldn't find a replacement for the interstate at the local canadian tire, or wal mart so i went to crappy tire and bought an eliminator battery with pretty much the same dimensions but it had 850 cca ( cold cranking amps).

i put it in, it fires up fine, and idles fine, but when i drive then stop at a light ( pull in clutch ) the idling will bounce from 500 to 1000 rpm, and then settle in between. why the play?? anyways whats even worse is that when the car really warms up ( traffic ) the idle jumping still occurs but when it settles it's now almost at 500 rpm and almost ready to stall. if the car starts moving and the temp cools down ( i have an air leak at the plastic air bleed screw so there's a temp fluctuation, but not much) then i stop for whatever reason, the idle plays then settles back closer to the normal 750-800 rpm.

this is leading me to believe that it's probably a sensor problem or somehow a an alternator issue not being able to regulate the battery?. any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-28-2007, 1:31 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: OT - car idling issues.

I doubt the battery is causing this. Although the leak in the exhaust is a more likely culprit. I would put my money on it being the air leak. The cars computer is trying to regulate the idle to where it is supposed to be but the air leak keeps throwing it off. Fix the air leak. And fix the exhaust (Get some JB weld to it atleast). THen go from there.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
post #3 of 3 Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 20

Re: OT - car idling issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1 View Post
I doubt the battery is causing this. Although the leak in the exhaust is a more likely culprit. I would put my money on it being the air leak. The cars computer is trying to regulate the idle to where it is supposed to be but the air leak keeps throwing it off. Fix the air leak. And fix the exhaust (Get some JB weld to it atleast). THen go from there.
exactly what i was thinking thats why i mentioned the leak. I just can't get around the coincidence that it started as soon as i dropped the new battery in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page