Should Barry Bonds be allowed in the Hall of Fame? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

View Poll Results: Should Barry Bonds be allowed in the Hall of Fame
No, he is a cheat... 7 46.67%
Im still on the fence on this one.. 4 26.67%
He should be allowed... 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-13-2007, 5:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Should Barry Bonds be allowed in the Hall of Fame?

Im not a big baseball fan but after reading alot of the Michell report I was wondering what everyone else's opinion about it was. I kind of feel like over the last 10-15 years baseball has been a cheat... Most of the superstars where juicing up.. Everyone knows what steroids will do for ya.. Its a unfair advantage to everyone else who doesn't use them..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-13-2007, 10:29 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: Should Barry Bonds be allowed in the Hall of Fame?

after today, it seems that he has a lot of company.

Hall of fame? All time home run leader not in the hall?

I'm not a fan of his, but it seems like he took the brunt of the steroid news. I'm sure all of these other guys were not looking forward to today...

Last edited by CrazyFreddy; 12-13-2007 at 10:43 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-13-2007, 10:40 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Sorry but if you take drugs your not playing on the same level as players of the past. That pretty much makes it null and void. So any player who does drugs belongs in his own hall of fame - not to say they are not great players. This pretty much applies to any sport.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-13-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy75 View Post
Sorry but if you take drugs your not playing on the same level as players of the past. That pretty much makes it null and void. So any player who does drugs belongs in his own hall of fame - not to say they are not great players. This pretty much applies to any sport.

I think I agree with you.

The list was so long.....
post #5 of 14 Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 PM

Reputation Power: 13

To say that performance enhancers are an unfair advantage isn't quite right IMHO, because everyone has the oportunity to use them. I didn't read the Mitchell report, but this is my take on it (short version). The argument is that there are rules banning them because they pose serious unhealthy side effects and endorsing such behavior is not in the best interest of the MLB, or any other sport for that matter. You can't blame them for trying though. One of my friends would say the ones that used steroids did nothing wrong, they only showed they are truely dedicated to their sport to trash their bodies that much to perform at or above their peek. No matter where you look, someone is always trying to optimize something. Look at this forum, all the mods we do to our bikes and performance enhancers. It makes me think about MotoGP or NASCAR. Racing has limits on what setup you can have on a bike or car. In the same manner, sports is limiting what one can do to their body to enhance performance to keep it even, more for the health reason than anything. It's obviously costing them money, not only to run the testing, but look at the McGwire/Sosa home run race...that did awesome for baseball, but probably wouldn't have happened without steroids. The point is, everyone that is guilty of performance enhancements go against set rules and they are wrong and should be punished. Steroids, doping, HGH, whatever, all have unhealthy effects and their use portrays the wrong image for sports idols of young kids to be emulating Technically, Bonds hasn't been found guilty of anything other than hitting a sh*tload of long balls. I'm definitely not saying we should stop trying to find him guilty though. Just look at his career as a whole and how (against all natural physiology) he got so much better in his late age compared to everyone else in baseball..Hank Aaron shouldn't have to put up with the bullsh*t. But no one will know for sure if Aaron or Ruth or Marris was ever on any performance enhancement when they set their records. Records stand until proven tainted...performance enhancing drug users deserve the ruthless bitch slap of justice for their lack of judgement in the spotlight of their stardom! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-2007, 1:01 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Jesse,

We are talking about the hall of fame. What do you mean by everyone can use them? What about Roger Maris? What about Babe Ruth? if you are talking about now, then yes, anyone of the players could have taken them, but we are not talking about just now, but the past and the future.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-14-2007, 1:04 AM

Send them to crazy freddy's we will straighten them out
post #8 of 14 Old 12-14-2007, 1:09 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Jesse,

We are talking about the hall of fame. What do you mean by everyone can use them? What about Roger Maris? What about Babe Ruth? if you are talking about now, then yes, anyone of the players could have taken them, but we are not talking about just now, but the past and the future.
I agree when you put a drug user next to those names you detract from the honor.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-14-2007, 2:12 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse954 View Post
To say that performance enhancers are an unfair advantage isn't quite right IMHO, because everyone has the oportunity to use them.
So everyone has the chance to cheat, so its ok because others were doing it?

They werent allowed to take steroids, just that they was no testing.
They were cheats and should be treated as such. If it can be shown that someone was on them they should be rubbed out from the record books and the hall of fame.

Quote:
You can't blame them for trying though.
Thats a terrible attitude.
You can blame them for not only trying but for tarnishing the sport.
Id say you could blame them a lot!
post #10 of 14 Old 12-14-2007, 8:57 AM

Wow, this ellicited some good feedback. First off, let me clear up my stance...I am completely against using steroids, and those that use them should be punished to the fullest. Please read the entire post above before flying off the handle. The things my friend said about not blaming them for having the discipline to do whatever they need to excell in their sport was said with much sarcasm. Of course you can blame them. And no it's not right to cheat. I was talking about now, everyone has the chance to use them, thanks for pointing that out Ianbrown.

How can we begin to compare records set many decades ago with today. New technologies, different rules, different life styles...any record broken today is almost dishonoring to the great players. Just think of the medical improvements available to players today. No, I don't think Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame, because I "think" he used steroids. But until they prove he used them without a shadow of a doubt, it's wrong to keep him from something that would put anyone in the hall of fame.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-14-2007, 9:43 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 37

One of the big unfair advantages was the fact the the majority of other players who weren't taking steriods or HGH had to compete for a roster spot against someone who clearly had the advantage of using performance enhancing drugs.. Roids and HGH make a huge difference in overall performance, and the strength gains are enormous.. All you have to do is look at Barry Bonds Rookie card to see the type of "build" he had.. Steroids and HGH give you a certain "build" that is pretty easy to tell someone is taking it.. He had so many chances to just come clean but his arrogance and pride got in the way... I hope they put him right next to Micheal Vick in prison and they can talk about why they didn't just tell the truth.. We all make mistakes, so they should have just told the truth at least after the first 100 chances they both where given..
post #12 of 14 Old 01-01-2008, 4:05 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I say let him in the Hall of Fame. I can take steroids all day long and im not gonna be able to hit a baseball like that. It does take alot of know how to do what he did. He wouldnt be the only person in the Hall of Fame to have juiced it. He will just be the only dumbass that let it be known.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-01-2008, 8:34 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitt51 View Post
I say let him in the Hall of Fame. I can take steroids all day long and im not gonna be able to hit a baseball like that. It does take alot of know how to do what he did. He wouldnt be the only person in the Hall of Fame to have juiced it. He will just be the only dumbass that let it be known.

true that roids won't improve the coordination required to hit a 95mph fastball.

but lets face facts here, if you do roids you aren't just breaking the rules in baseball, you're breaking the law. steroids are illegal drugs just like heroin or cocaine. now I know you can't arrest a guy for having formerly done a drug, he has to be caught with the substance. but if Bonds ever gets proven to have done them I say his record should be erased.

remember the all time hits leader isn't in the Hall of Fame because he broke the rules.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-01-2008, 9:16 PM

NO!!! If you are caught at work using drugs, your out. If caught in a car driving, your out, cant drive. If your caught cheating in vagas your out. Why should baseball be any different, if your cheating in anyway you should be let go. There are a lot of people who never got a chance to play big leages and dont use drug who would love to have chance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page