Workout question, more or less reps? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Workout question, more or less reps?

Starting to do a consistant workout program. Reading some sites say that you should max out your weight and do a MAX of 10 reps, no more. I've also read where you should do a decent amount of weight and do as many reps as possible. Which is right?

Have to get my fat ass in shape, which type of lifts are the most benefical to mucsle growth?

Thanks in advance!

Life is Good, Life is Great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 1:06 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Workout question, more or less reps?

Lots of answers to this question - people train in different ways becasue they know what works for them. Your only 26 so you should recover quickly so I would train heavy on large muscle groups 4 days each week and throw in cardio of at least 40 mins on the off days. Experiment with some different programs to see what gives you results, not eveyone responds in the same way. Take a good look at your diet, it's at least 80% of your results, if you don't know how to eat right your not going to get the best results. If your new to the gym then start slow and work your way up, if you plan to take suppliments then do your homework, some are good and some are a total waste of money.

Compound exercises are always good - squats, bench, rows, dead lits, shoulder press & curls. Keep it simple. For cardio I like to cycle and ramp up the resistance so I get a burn at the same time and throw in some treadmill once or twice a week.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 1:16 AM

Reputation Power: 0

With new exercises, you'll always want to begin with high reps to build the neuralogical pathways for a few workouts. Your muscles have to learn to perform the motion before you can start beating up on them.

As far as number of reps, it depends on what you want to accomplish. High weight/low reps build more muscle mass, albeit kinda puffy looking. Lower weight/high reps sculpts the muscle while building strength.

Do at least three sets of any exercise to muscle exhaustion, but be careful and conservative at first.

I do five sets and a warm-up in a typical pyramid distribution for big muscle groups.

Don't forget cardio. This will reduce recovery time between sets and increase you metabolism. Don't go crazy (too hard) on this, but 20 minutes 3 times a week should do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2008, 10:29 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Basic movements (bench, shoulder press, squats) and lower reps 6-10 is what I do. Cardio with a heart rate of 125-135.

For eating I follow this and works out well for me.

Amazon.com: Zone: A Dietary Road Map to Lose Weight Permanently: Books: Barry Sears

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 1:10 AM

Reputation Power: 14

I recommend this site. its a hard core site but tons of info.... they also sell good supplements

TESTOSTERONE NATION
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

Have to figure something out about eating right, i love food and eat lots of it. dont eat much of any fastfood anymore, just lots of pizza and eat out at resturants alot.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 6:26 PM

just get a regular workout routine going first. IMO, if you try to change your life style too much at once, you're less likely to stick with it.

i think people overemphasize diet.

besides eating a lot of fruits and vegetables, i eat anything i want including donoughts, hotdogs, all-you-can-eat pizza, and fast food (love that 1lb Carl's cheeseburger). i'm in the best shape of my life, and i'm a lot older than you. (age is big factor)

be forewarned that you will frequently feel tired as your body adjusts (and heals) to your work-outs.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 6:51 PM

Get your eating habits in to check,regular meals,if your trying to lose weight you want to watch your carb intake.
I was a weights junky for about 7 years,eg.i would bench press a weight that i could only do once,was 100kg,then half the weight and put it into my routine and bench press that weight(50kg) reps of 12.(this is to bulk up,half the weight again and good for getting cut muscles)
But you have to make sure you are fully warmed up before attempting these and have a spotter or you could end up in serious trouble(torn muscles).
You have to be consistant and not slack off,you wont see results straight away,have to keep it up.
Also,Boxing is the best workout you can get(good cardio),get yourself a bag,and go flat out(not swinging wildly)for 3min,take a 30sec break have a drink,go at it again for 3min,do 5 x 3min sets,always keep your arms up as if you were in a real fight,guaranteed you will lose some weight and increase your cardio,this will help on the days you do your weights.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giza View Post
Get your eating habits in to check,regular meals,if your trying to lose weight you want to watch your carb intake.
I was a weights junky for about 7 years,eg.i would bench press a weight that i could only do once,was 100kg,then half the weight and put it into my routine and bench press that weight(50kg) reps of 12.(this is to bulk up,half the weight again and good for getting cut muscles)
But you have to make sure you are fully warmed up before attempting these and have a spotter or you could end up in serious trouble(torn muscles).
You have to be consistant and not slack off,you wont see results straight away,have to keep it up.
Also,Boxing is the best workout you can get(good cardio),get yourself a bag,and go flat out(not swinging wildly)for 3min,take a 30sec break have a drink,go at it again for 3min,do 5 x 3min sets,always keep your arms up as if you were in a real fight,guaranteed you will lose some weight and increase your cardio,this will help on the days you do your weights.
you're begging for an injury if you have a regimen that includes a 1 rep max--even with a spotter.

statistically, heavy bag work-outs are not the "the best cardio workouts". and what you describe is an intervals workout which is used to increase your lactate threshold and NOT used for weight loss even though it burns some calories and increases metabolism.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 8:44 PM Thread Starter

I've been hovering around the 215 lbs +/- 5 lbs mark for years now and i eat whatever i want.
Im not to concerned about changing my diet so much as to actually add exercise into a daily regimen. I figure if i havent gained any weight without exercise for years now adding it can only help lose it fast. Mostly concerned about the muscle building aspect of exercise.

I plan on getting a nice weight machine, treadmill, rowing machine and a punching bag once I buy a house, dont have any room for anything other than free weights now.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 9:45 PM

Reputation Power: 13

As you can tell, there are as many opinions on the proper workout as there are people in the gym. So here is another one. First, I agree that nutrition is an important part of any program. Second, you need to decide on what is your desired outcome before you design a program. Are you interested in getting lean and ripped, or filling out and putting on muscle mass. High rep and low weight will tend to rip your muscle structure and low rep high weight will tend to put on muscle mass and increase strength. If you want to get strong, you will have to lift heavy weights. No way around that. Also, watch out for trainers offering to help. There are more certifying agencies for personal trainers than there are opinions for how to work out. These monkeys can't find their butt with both hands. Good luck and stick with it. Nothing happens over night but 10g of Creatine a day does speed things up.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 9:51 PM

creatine is awesome but I would never use it over a long term.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Gravy Leg View Post
you're begging for an injury if you have a regimen that includes a 1 rep max--even with a spotter.

statistically, heavy bag work-outs are not the "the best cardio workouts". and what you describe is an intervals workout which is used to increase your lactate threshold and NOT used for weight loss even though it burns some calories and increases metabolism.
Gravy Leg,i agree on the heavy bag work out,but like i said dont go sick punching like a maniac,dance around the thing,duck,weave,jab keep moving,stegen said hes "gotta get his fat ass in shape"(no offence stegen) and to get a good work going,you need your body to be able to keep up,doing this your body is constantly on the move.(using this type of exersize as a stepping stone to your final workout regimen)
I know theres a million ways out there,this is what i have done in the past and it worked.
BTW,i dont have a 1 rep max in my workout,its a guide to what weight i can rep 12 times and be benificial in gaining muscle mass.(i agree doing this every work out wouldnt benifit your body much,only ego)
Go ride supercross,its proven to be one of the most physical demanding sports on the planet.

ps.Go Chad Reed
post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 11:00 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
creatine is awesome but I would never use it over a long term.
I concur. I typically take Creatine for 8 weeks and then off for 2 weeks. Been doing that for 10 years and the liver enzymes look normal.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 PM

I'm glad your liver is working ok I would just say this, if you can get by without using it then it's a smart play. Creatine delivers fantastic results but long term "effects" are yet to be established.

Does anyone know about HGH?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page