My editorial - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 32

Re: My editorial

After hearing about another Thursday night ride that ended in police involvement and crashes, I decided to finally send something to the e-mail list of riders in town. It probably won't do a lick of good, but I had to try. I figured if I just bitched them out, nothing would get though. What do you think?
Group,

Some of you know me and some of you don't. I've been an active motorcycle rider in Columbia since 1994. I was part of the original group that started meeting on Thursday nights to ride a little, get something to eat, benchrace, and watch the bike races (Prime Sports Network used to show races on Thursday nights; that's the main reason for that day of the week). Some of those guys are still around, like S****, W*****, and J*** G****. I think they'd agree that we had fun on the rides but somehow this thing has taken a turn for the worse over the years. I got away from going with the group for several years and when I've come back to check it out, I always tell myself it's the last time. It seems that instead of really wanting to learn to ride a motorcycle and hang around others with the same interest, a lot of people just want to 'be seen' on a bike or ride over their heads trying to prove something. The stunting fad has caught on full force as well. Now I'm almost embarrassed to ride in or around Columbia because I know that the general public just sees me as another one of those guys on 'crotch-rockets' that has no respect for anyone.

Motorcycles are a wonderful thing. You can get away from your daily stress and simply think about the road. Every time you ride, you have the potential to sharpen your skills. You can experience so much more on a bike than you can in a cage (car). But there is always a negative perception out there about how dangerous motorcycles are. Think about how you ride. Do you perpetuate that perception? As the guys who know me can attest, I've done my share of stupid things on a bike. I don't expect anyone to putt around under the speed limit. What I'm saying is that I hear all the time about the stupid things that happen and the apparent lack of learning ability. Remember that when your buddy trashes his bike doing a stunt and turns it in on insurance, that's why your own insurance rates are so crazy. Those insurance companies can't afford to replace a $10K bike that some squid bins after owning it for a month.

I'm not perfect. I've crashed on the street and have some scars to prove it. My point is that we all need to think a little bit and ride intelligently. Don't piss off the public or what we do won't be nearly as enjoyable anymore. I'd rather be able to nod at a policeman and go along my way than to be paranoid about whether he's going to stop me just because he assumes I'm going to do something stupid. You all have some responsibility every time you ride. It seems like a lot of guys are around for a few years then are gone. I've been here and plan to be here for a long time. Don't ruin this for everyone.

For those of you who don't know me and will just ignore what I'm saying, thinking I'm just trying to bring everyone down, that's fine. If I got you to think even a little, it was worth it. If you think I don't know what I'm talking about and can't ride, get your racing license and come shut me up. But I've gotten tired of hearing about all the crashes, the running from the cops, and all the other stupidity that's got the potential to hurt something that I really love. I don't like seeing people hurt or worse and believe me it can happen at the drop of a hat. I'm here to help anyone who is really interested in being a good rider. The guys around Columbia who can actually ride (C****, J******, etc.) will tell you that.

Just think. Going fast in a straight line or riding over your head doesn't make you a man.

Wear your gear, ride smart, and we'll all be able to enjoy this.

Kris Younger

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 3:28 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I think it was a good read. Unfortunately you probably just got yourself labeled as (gasp&#33 'The Old Guy'. Sucks huh?

HD
post #3 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 3:33 PM

Sounds like an appropriate response to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 3:33 PM

Reputation Power: 17

What you say is 100% true, but I don't think that will stop them. I can enjoy a nice wheelie just like the next guy, but stoppies, burnouts, and putting your feet over the handle bars is just stupid squidly behavior, period, end of story. And I too am labeled as an old guy.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 3:34 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike

well, I always thought you were a jerk....and that's even before reading your note!!! * *

nah, but seriously though Kris, you hit the nail straight on. and I agree with you 100%...very well put and thought out...hopefully someone will read it and take it to heart, but I pray you may be singing to the choir there are some folks out there that just want to be seen and don't even stop to think about the ramifications if they are stopped by the cops or hurt....I see it all the time....guys wheeling away from stop signs, stoplight to stoplight racing, etc....so, hopefully someone will read your note and maybe, just maybe, take riding more seriously...

"Make your next move your best move"

-The King of the South, T.I.-

My BlogSpace
post #6 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 3:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good write-up.

And yes, you're a jerk
post #7 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I don't mind being a jerk if I can at least make them think.

post #8 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 4:39 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
QuikMike : well, I always thought you were a jerk....
We all know you have strong feelings for me, Mike.

post #9 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 4:50 PM

yo dawg, why you gotta rip on my homies just cause we got mad skillz. thursday ridahs for ever biatch. i'll take you at the track anyday....the drag strip biatch.
post #10 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 4:54 PM

I don't think you're a jerk, but that Kris Younger guy sounds like he has a stick up his ass!

Seriously, I thought it was a very good post. All you can do is try to share your thoughts with people to, hopefully, make a difference in the way they act and the way they see things. I'd rather say something, than not say anything and watch other riders ruin it for everyone else. At least you spoke your mind and maybe convinced a few others to at least think about what you said, and modify their behavior.
post #11 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 5:07 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

I'm just very tired of this: Today's Paper

They said a farmer was acting like he was going to fire on them with a shotgun too. Of course if these guys were flying up and down my road and crashing all the time, I might be a little perturbed too.

post #12 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 5:14 PM

Quote If you think I don't know what I'm talking about and can't ride, get your racing license and come shut me up.

You tuff guy, you.
post #13 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 5:16 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Quote:
Pete : Quote If you think I don't know what I'm talking about and can't ride, get your racing license and come shut me up.
You tuff guy, you.

post #14 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 5:25 PM
dB

Didn't sound like a jerk to me. Nice job.

They may not listen. On the other hand, maybe you lit some dim candle way back in the corner of one squid's mind. That would make it easily worth it.

I'd be interested in any responses you get.
post #15 of 29 Old 10-24-2003, 5:29 PM

Umm, is that a trick question?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page