Anyone using Firebird? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-26-2003, 4:25 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Anyone using Firebird?

I was poking around the Mozilla site on one of my Linux boxes, and noticed they have a trimmed down browser called Firebird. I downloaded the windows versions and have been using it exclusively on my win2k box, and my work machines. After all the IE problems, patches, viruses and worms, it was a much better and safer alternative. Been pretty happy with it so far.

And it blocks popup windows..

Am I the only user? Been pretty happy with Mozilla on my linux boxes, and Firebird on my windows machines.
Fig

Edit: added link. and fixed grammar

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-26-2003, 8:30 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I am trying it as I speak on a Celeron 450 running Win98SE. When it works, it's nice, but there are already some obvious bugs which slightly annoy me.

- Some of the downloaded themes are definitely not ready for primetime, having missing buttons, etc.

- scrollbar mysteriously missing

- 1 GPF so far (altho that's probably my ghetto computer and 98SE

But otherwise, is it any faster IE6? I honestly havne't noticed any specific speed increases by switching over yet. However, I am liking some of the features.

Tab browsing is nice. Included google search bar _may_ be useful. (why not, I use google anyway). Keyword uses might be good too. ( i.e.: dictionary motorcycle will bring one to dictionary.com with the word already looked up).

I also really like the working scaleable fonts!

I think as it matures, as long as they can keep the code base lean and mean, it will definitely be an IE replacement, especially for slowe systems such as mine. (with an 800x600 max desktop).

Not much of a review, but it's a good start.

Thanks fig for the link.

Be fast or be last.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-26-2003, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Fig

Reputation Power: 0

I haven't really tried any of the other themes. I basically unzipped it, and went.. I did put it on shelly's pc, and removed the IE links, and popped in the Firebird links, and I don't think any has even realized that they are using a different browser. My main point of using it is that in my opinion, over half of the damn security updates for Windows involve IE, and how a malicious web site operator could run code of your machine. Well, by not using IE, I am eliminating that risk, not to mention the cookie system it has as well as eliminating pop ups. My guess is that Microsoft gets a cut from advertisers since cookies and popups are such an annoyance and they don't seem to be taking care of the problem, just pushing IE like it was sliced bread..

I also like the fact that all you have to do to run Firebird is unzip it on your hard drive. No installing. Don't like it, delete it.
Fig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-27-2003, 12:38 AM

Reputation Power: 20

Yeah, hear you on the non-install bit.

Found more:

- It takes longer to load then IE6 at first start up. (Celeron 450, 64meg ram, 4mb video card, 98SE, 6 gig HDD) Not the fastest rig ever, but it suffices for regular internet work.)

- When launched, browser maximizes to desktop maximum. But then pressing F11 does not get rid of Windows title bar. (I first have to shrink the browser first, then press F11)

- I've never liked the mosaic/mozilla/netscape way of showing a 'place holder' gif of where pix should be before loading up. Useful for dial-up, as user can stop load of page and then select to show only pix (um, for pr0n no doubt )

Like I said, on a small desktop, the most handy feature is the scaleable fonts. Anti pop up is okay, but since I use Norton Firewall, it has that built-in for the most part as well (it doens't catch all, but do get most pr0n banners that invariably pop up). Still, I like this feature.

Way better cookie management, which is a HUGE plus.

I like your idea of replacing IE for security issues. But since I only surf 'legit' sites, I am not too worried about malicious code, altho I've been burned before w/ a java trojan.

For some reason, it does not work with my website, as my white font doesn't work. I don't know why yet, haven't looked at my page. But I know the HTML is messy as snot, so that might be my fault. Hehehe.

Okay, again, thanx. I'm looking forward to seeing version .8.

Maybe it's time I tried out mozilla in ernest? I just want a browser, not an email client/usenet reader tho.

Maybe I'll throw in 'thunderbird' just for kix later.

Be fast or be last.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page