Pics & a ride report - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 9:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 28

Re: Pics & a ride report

Check images 2389 to 2419, the last few in the bunch. They're from yesterday's 140 mile ride from my place to Lincoln and back, then today's 185 mile excursion into Western Iowa's Loess Hills.

http://chain.cbr954.org/fz/

Initial impressions after getting some decent saddle time. These thoughts are in no particular order:

-The OEM windscreen is too small. IMO, it may as well not be there at anything approaching highway speeds. I'm looking forward to seeing a big improvement in the wind protection department once my Zero Gravity Sport Touring shield arrives. Probably will make my FZ look like an old man's bike, but I ain't 22 anymore.

-The last generation R1 mill has plenty of usable grunt in just about any traffic scenario. This thing pulls from the basement and nearly makes gear selection a moot point. I'm using the motor up to about 2/3'rds throttle and 6,000 rpm, and things are already beginning to feel like there is some initial breaking in going on. I don't think I'll long for power with the FZ (about 120 rwhp in bone stock condition).

-I'm pleasantly surprised at the comfort afforded by the stock Yamaha saddle. I didn't use my Airhawk either of the last two days and suffered the grand total of zero butt-burn for my trouble. I can move around into about three distinctly different riding positions which greatly aids comfort.

-I've fiddled with the stock suspension settings and have a good baseline from which to tweak. Much of that will be left for the spring, however. Most of the BT020's chicken strips are gone from the tires; I won't push any harder until warmer springtime temps heat up the pavement and I can count on better grip.

-Installation of the heavy model Throttlemeisters reduced the high frequency buzziness felt in the bars by as much as half. Of course, using the throttle lock was nice as well. I'm counting on Ivan's Jet Kit kit to fully exorcise the remaining vibes, to reduce the little bit of surge I get at ~3,500 and to free up a whopping 8 hp all by itself (quite true according to three different dyno tests performed by Motorcyclist during a feature on the Fizzer two summers back).

-If I could snap my fingers and have my fuel injection off the 954 on this motorcycle, I'd be, well, snapping my fingers right now. The carbs aren't a problem and overall the bike runs fine (better with Ivan's stuff in them, soon enough...). This simply boils down to my getting used to nursing a bike on and off the choke again after being spoiled by immediate-start-FI and automatic fast idle. The flip side is -poke fun at old school Chain if you must!- I'm actually looking foward to wrenching on my bike and doing another jet kit. Nothing like getting in there under the tank and getting your hands dirty with the smell of gasoline. Seriously.

-The chassis, brakes and overall handling are very confidence inspiring. The bike's 514 pound weight (wet, including nearly 6 gallons of fuel) disappears at speed. I love the way the bike handles in low speed situations too. I did some slow speed maneuvering in a parking lot today and was turning circles inside the best U-turn I could accomplish aboard the 954. For everyday riding, the sit-up-and-beg perch is perfect and this machine is very comfy.

That about covers it. So far so good. Looking forward to getting a few more goodies on the bike and a couple hundred more miles on the odo (followed by the end of break-in oil and filter change) before the white fluffy stuff flies around here.

Praying for continued indian summer for Saturday's ride with Baketech.

Any of you other Omaha area ORG'ers wanna come?

-Chain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 9:43 PM

Reputation Power: 50

post #3 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ccwilli3 Send a message via Yahoo to ccwilli3

6 gallons of fuel is NICE!

RC51s need that!

VEE DUBB in da house... representin deutchland!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 9:50 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Very, what's the word... umm... monochromatic! Yes, that's it! Monochromatic!

...except for the brake piston caps. Black/silver paint would take care of that, the only glaring imperfection in the bike's appearance (come to think of it, I've got an identical problem). That and either getting clear or smoked turn signal lenses

"...and you fellas can back me up on this. Once you've seen one woman naked... you want to see the rest of them naked." -Ron White
post #5 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kudos on the review.

(for the cliff comment, lol)
post #6 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ccwilli3 : 6 gallons of fuel is NICE!

RC51s need that!
Oops. The manual says 5.7 gallons. I should have written 'nearly 6 gallons of fuel' - sorry willi.

Still, despite some spirited riding today, I averaged just over 40 miles per gallon. That gives me a maximum range of about 225 miles, up to about 185 before the low fuel light comes on and the bike goes to reserve. (It's actually got a fuel gauge and a light - neat.)
post #7 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : Very, what's the word... umm... monochromatic! Yes, that's it! Monochromatic!

...except for the brake piston caps. Black/silver paint would take care of that, the only glaring imperfection in the bike's appearance (come to think of it, I've got an identical problem). That and either getting clear or smoked turn signal lenses
Oh, don't worry. Mods are already beginning to trickle in via the Brown Trucks Which Control My Life.
post #8 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Reputation Power: 29

Quote:
Chain :
<The OEM windscreen is too small. IMO, it may as well not be there at anything approaching highway speeds. I'm looking forward to seeing a big improvement in the wind protection department once my Zero Gravity Sport Touring shield arrives.>

Chain! Just more rationalization to buy more goodies.

<I'm pleasantly surprised at the comfort afforded by the stock Yamaha saddle. I didn't use my Airhawk either of the last two days...>

Just a matter of time - an aftermarket seat is just around the corner (see above).

<...until warmer springtime temps heat up the pavement...>

Sorry about your climate.

<The flip side is I'm actually looking forward to wrenching on my bike and doing another jet kit>

You're spending money again.

<The bike's 514 pound weight...>

Seriously Chain, I wish you nothing but happiness w/your new steed. Variety is 'the spice of life', and if I could currently afford it I would be doing the same as you.

How 'bout this one? -

<Praying for continued indian summer for Saturday's ride with Baketech.>

Did I miss something? Bake's gonna be in your neck of the woods? Wish I could join youse...

Here in Oz
post #9 of 41 Old 10-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Reputation Power: 22

wow, its new and has carbs?

Life is Good, Life is Great
post #10 of 41 Old 10-30-2003, 8:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
2OHOH2954 : Very, what's the word... umm... monochromatic! Yes, that's it! Monochromatic!

I've been giving some thought to Clear Alternative lenses like Conq did on his XX. A pretty easy and cheap mod considering how nice they look afterwards.
post #11 of 41 Old 10-30-2003, 8:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bacchus : Just a matter of time - an aftermarket seat is just around the corner. *
No need to buy an aftermarket seat, bro. Check the tagline. I'm serious, it's easy-chair comfortable. Besides, I've got an Airhawk for serious travel duty.

Other than that, I stand guilty as charged - let the modding begin!
post #12 of 41 Old 10-30-2003, 8:08 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Chain : Check the tagline. I'm serious, it's easy-chair comfortable. Besides, I've got an Airhawk for serious travel duty.
Old man's bike!
post #13 of 41 Old 10-30-2003, 8:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
stegen : wow, its new and has carbs?
Quaint, eh?

In total candor, once you've got a well sorted jet kit installed and the carbs properly dialed in on a carbed bike, the motorcycle will run pretty much as flawlessly as any FI machine.
post #14 of 41 Old 10-30-2003, 8:57 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee

Good write up. I'd be curious to hear how it performs while going 2 up. Any chance?

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse
post #15 of 41 Old 10-30-2003, 8:58 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee

Look at this sky. Right out of The Simpsons.

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page