Global Warming Fact or Fiction? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-06-2008, 7:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Global Warming Fact or Fiction?

Here is some interesting opinion on the whole issue of global warming. Has the whole issue become so political and clouded that the facts are lost in the whole argument?

"I might be a bit of a skeptic but when we are getting sold on something as heavily as they are selling the whole climate change "issue" you have to suspect that somewhere in there money is going to be made. I have a feeling that the "solution" to the whole climate problem might just be a simple tax, yeah that ought to fix things.. Lets call it a carbon tax shall we?"

Quote:
"Believe it or not, Global Warming is not due to human contribution of Carbon Dioxide (CO2). This in fact is the greatest deception in the history of science. We are wasting time, energy and trillions of dollars while creating unnecessary fear and consternation over an issue with no scientific justification."

Quote:
"Let me stress I am not denying the phenomenon has occurred. The world has warmed since 1680, the nadir of a cool period called the Little Ice Age (LIA) that has generally continued to the present. These climate changes are well within natural variability and explained quite easily by changes in the sun. But there is nothing unusual going on."
Quote:
"Politicians are being listened to, even though most of them have no knowledge or understanding of science, especially the science of climate and climate change. Hence, they are in no position to question a policy on climate change when it threatens the entire planet. Moreover, using fear and creating hysteria makes it very difficult to make calm rational decisions about issues needing attention."
Eight Reasons Why ‘Global Warming’ Is a Scam - by Joseph L. Bast - The Heartland Institute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-06-2008, 7:39 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Global Warming Fact or Fiction?

Fiction. The earth was hot, then cold and where are we now?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2008, 4:00 AM

Reputation Power: 144

Send a message via MSN to LoopyLee Send a message via Skype™ to LoopyLee

There is so much data and research, often contradictory, being published by scientists that it is impossible to make an informed decision.. much of this published research is based on 'best guess' as we really only have a couple of hundred years of weather data to compare it against.. the computer models they run the figures on are also 'best guess'.. so how the heck are we supposed to be able to figure it out..

As for the political side of things we are already seeing governments jumping on this 'research' to increase taxes, and make money.. why am I not surprised!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2008, 7:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

The "Myth" theory is being popularized by paid doubters and friends of Dubbya. The science has convinced me. I buy it. It is real. Unless there has been a torrent of new information in the last, say, 3 months, then the knowledgeable scientists are in 99.9% agreement that the human factor in global warming is currently the largest contributing factor. In other words, the peer-reviewed scientific papers (the only ones that count for anything) are unanimous.

Sure, a couple of impressive Krakatau-sized volcanic explosions could overwhelm the human impact, as would an asteroid impact. But right now the problem is us.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 PM

Reputation Power: 0

You drank the coolaid pal........It's all B.S. The plannet has been in a cooling trend for over 8yrs. The ice cap has is thicker then ever in recorded history. The planet cycles......When I was growing up through the late 60's into the 70's it was all about the next coming ice age just around the corner. Relax and know that you are getting set up to be seriously ****ed by those that would like to put a global tax on your check for you having the nerve to simpily exist and live as a free American.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248

Ok guys. The increase in CO2 has been shown to be linked with the increase in oil consumption. This is how it works.

Plants take up CO2 to grow. That CO2 is stored in the plant material. When a tree is burnt, the CO2 that was in that tree is released back into the atmosphere. When that tree decays, the CO2 is then released into the atmosphere. Everything sounds good so far right. Plants take in CO2 then release it. It's a perfect balance. So what is the problem?

Where does oil come from?

Oil comes from plant material that never was burnt up or decayed. It's CO2 is trapped. Now compound millions of years of plants that are trapped. The amount of CO2 trapped adds up pretty quickly.

We now use the oil in a relatively short period of time (humans have not been around that long (compared to the earth) and we have been using oil for an even shorter period of time). We are releasing millions of years worth of CO2 in a short period of time. This is the problem.

In reality, it might not even be a problem. Increasing the temperature will make some changes. We will surely lose a lot of dry land from melting glaciers in the process. Maybe life will be better with higher temperatures. We don't know for sure. It also depends on your viewpoint. Maybe we'll discover some new technology that will be able to reabsorb the CO2 somehow or cool the earth like an air conditioner. Since we don't have those abilities yet, we try do the best we can with what we know.

Most people like the earth the way it is. Most do not want change. The earth will, most likely, survive but we may not. We are not as adaptable as the earth is. We may survive, but maybe not all of us. We could be in store for some serious changes. Unfortuanely, we have not been able to accurately model all of the changes that will occur with the rising CO2 yet. There are just too many variables.

Did you know that just changing the speed of decay of leaves from 12 years to 9 years will change the composition of the plants that live in that area? It has to do with the speed at which different nutrients become available from the decaying leave. Some plants will really need a certain nutrient while others don't need that one as much. The lack of the needed nutrient will let the plants that don't need it take over. It will then change the animals that can also inhabit that area.

Everything is built on a delicate balance. One small change somewhere can make drastic changes almost everywhere in that environment.

Science is all about learning everything about how something works and trying to exploit that knowledge for our own advantage and well being.

The scenario in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" is scientifically sound. I couldn't believe it when I learned that, but it is. The ocean has a very complex balance as well between the deep water and the surface water. There is a point in temperature that could tip the balance and we could go into a rapid freeze. It actually already happened not too long ago. We have evidence of this. It gets really crazy when you get into the science.

The consensus of the scientific world has no doubt that we are causing the increase in CO2 by using oil which consequently increases the temperature of the planet. The evidence is just too overwhelming. It also has a great many other implications as well. The temperature change is just one of the easiest to wrap your brain around.

FYI: I have a BS in Ecology, Evolution and Behavior
oh yeah and the BS doesn't stand for Bull Shxx lol

Last edited by curt248; 06-07-2008 at 1:04 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2008, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick954 View Post
You drank the coolaid pal.....
The first time somebody used that phrase it was funny. Now it just shows an attempt to be cool and suave, as I believe is the case with many people expressing doubt. "The man is trying to screw us" is always a popular bit or rhetoric.

Quote:
would like to put a global tax on your check.
I don't know anything about an increase in income tax. However, the idea of a carbon tax is actually a good one. User pays. And it encourages reduced consumption by individuals and corporations and encourages the use of renewables.

Quote:
live as a free American.
That is so funny on so many levels. The one I will mention here is the fact that I am not an American.

And as far as understanding the science, I received my B.Eng.(Mechanical) over 30 years ago. That doesn't make me smarter than other people, but it does allow me to better understand the science than do many other people.

I have spent much of my career designing boilers for power stations and designing refineries. I used to strongly support the idea of burning coal (the fuel that is the heaviest emitter of CO2) in utility stations. I now see the error of my ways.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2008, 6:02 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Science is just that, SCIENCE, it is best guess theory and nothing more. A few years ago coffee was bad for you, and now today science says that it is all good. Red meat used to be bad for you, then scientist turn and say its all good. Alcohol used to just be a killer, even in moderation, now a few moderated drinks can help you live longer. . Science is what i call a financial boost tool. As long as they keep finding ways to help you live longer and keep the air cleaner, most everyone is gonna buy into it.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248

You need to pay special attention to the details of any scientific study. The media usually forgets to point out those important details like it was bad only for people who are blind in one eye. It was good for people with a history of some specific condition. The media usually just scratches the surface. We you dig deeper, you'll see that there is merit to the scientific studies.

I don't believe anything the media reports until I read the ORIGINAL journal article myself. Unless you have training in reading original work along with a good understanding of statistics, you can be fooled. A degree in journalism does not give you that training.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Yeah, reading the original peer reviewed article is the best way to inform yourself. Instead, many people listen to a report about an article in a newspaper about a television story about somebody who thinks something like ... global warming isn't caused by people. So there's 4 "scientific sources" of doubt right there. Proof for morons..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page