Networking Xbox ? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Off-Topic Discussion of anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. If it's related to motorcycles in any way, DO NOT post it here. Post it in General Discussion or a more specific forum.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-14-2003, 9:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Networking Xbox ?

Hey all,
Seeing as a few of you are xboxing live, and even more of you are computer pro's (and I am definately not) I need a some help trying to get my new xbox online. My computer has been hijacked by the girlfriend for school lately, so I needed a toy to keep me busy this winter.
Anyway, the computer is upstairs in the den, and the xbox is downstairs in the living room. I've searched a bit online, but get very confused about the wireless stuff. From what I can figure out, if i go wireless I need a bunch of stuff that I can't even figure out, and the stuff will cost more than the xbox. Could I just buy another cable modem and simply split my cable near the digital cable box and run it that way? Seems I could do that alot cheaper, or am I missing something here? Anyone have any suggestions? What exactly do I need if I'm going wireless? I saw in a couple of places that microsoft and linex have a xbox specific unit, but I couldn't find much more out. Thanks.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-14-2003, 9:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

You could buy a router and a long enough cable to reach the Xbox...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #3 of 15 Old 11-14-2003, 10:08 PM

You could do either actually. Buy another IP which is usually like $10 a month, or get a router and use a NAT address, which is free. In other words the Router will let you split one IP into 2, it's the chinse way to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-14-2003, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Ah, I didn't think about that. Another modem, another monthly fee. That's no good. And I considered router and cable connection, but that's alot of cable (and money), and my house already looks like crap with my monster cables running to my Cerwin Vega towers. My girl would choke me with it. Could someone tell me the wireless pieces I need. The xbox would need a receiver/transmitter hooked to it, then the computer upstairs with the modem would need a router and another transmitter/receiver. That's three pieces, right? Do these come as a kit, or do I have to buy each seperate? Too bad the cable box didn't have a ethernet port, that's all it does is be a modem sorta right? Sorry to be a pain, i'm just more than a little slow with networking. Thanks again for any help guys. * What's a NAT address booth?

post #5 of 15 Old 11-14-2003, 11:29 PM

Dood, just buy a Linksys wireless router and

This
post #6 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 1:23 AM Thread Starter

Koowl dood. Is this the same thing?xbox wirelessThen whats a wireless router, and how much are they. So I attach the wireless router to my modem and then I need this thing on my xbox and now another for my pc?Thanks booth. Booth for president!

post #7 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 4:17 AM

Um, you'd be better off with the linksys product I listed rather than that Xbox thing. *A wireless Linksys router can be had for like $100 or slightly less on Amazon.

Edit: no you can hook your computer up to the router via cat5/6 (ethernet cable) and then just use the wireless device for your Xbox. Then in the future you can add a laptop, another desktop, or whatever to the router and expand. I've been using a Linksys router in my home office for 4 years, never one problem and the PC/Router/modem are on the majority of the time.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 3:04 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

I just set up the little ladie's apt. with wireless off a T1 connection. How fast of a connection does the x-box live need? I ask because even with 100 Mbps the wireless only connects up to 11. That still fast enough?

P.S. Yeah definitely go with the router. Broken down into basics the IP is assigned to the router, then the router assigns different IP's to each computer. So the ISP still only thinks it's talking to one computer even though you've got connected to it. BTW, get a wireless laptop. Nothing better than plopping yer a$$ whereever you want in the house and still having a great connection.

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 5:50 PM

It really doesn't matter that the wireless (8.11b) only connects at 11 Mb/s. A T-1 line only runs at 1.5 Mb/s wide open.

Another note: Be carefull mixing 802.11b with 802.11g devices on a G network. Unless the Acess Point has updated firmware it can actually slow it down below the speed available with only 802.11b devices.

Keith
post #10 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 10:45 PM

802.11b may be 11Mb for the standard, but after overhead and 'loss' you are really only getting 3-4Mb throughput.

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."
post #11 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 11:17 PM

for your own sanity, get it working with a borrowed router/hub before you try wireless. Find some one to help you who knows about networking too. Also be aware that the weak link in the 802.x wireless systems is not usually the bridge, but the NICs (the cards in your PC or laptop). A great number of them have very poor RF performance. Linksys makes a good wireless bridge/router, but their NICs are not the best. (The very best NICs ((were)) made by cisco and lucent wen I installed my system)
post #12 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

You guys are killing me! 8011.b this and 8011.g that. I love the org. Such a diverse crowd, I can find almost any info here. Anyway, I've reconsidered the direct wiring, seems a little simpler and alot cheaper, and since I'll be moving soon, I don't want invest alot. I figure I could drop an ethernet cable down the heating duct into the basement then over and up through the floor to the xbox in the living room. A router and 100ft of cable and I'm getting my ass kicked by some teenager in germany at tetris. Whatcha all think. Is that much cable gonna slow me down? Please try to keep it simple. Thanks all.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-15-2003, 11:59 PM

Quote:
pdccd : Is that much cable gonna slow me down?
No, you would have to run a cable over 295' before you would have 'possible' trouble with 100Mb, so you'll be just fine.

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."
post #14 of 15 Old 11-16-2003, 5:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

That's still a lot of dough though isn't it? I bought a 6 ft. cat 5 for 5 bucks ... 100 feet = 95 bucks?

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #15 of 15 Old 11-16-2003, 9:48 AM

Quote:
firedawgon929 : That's still a lot of dough though isn't it? I bought a 6 ft. cat 5 for 5 bucks ... 100 feet = 95 bucks?
what you bought was probably a cat5 patch cord. =$$

If you can terminate your own rj45/s (or find a freind who can) you can buy small cat5 cable reels for under $50 @ home depot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Other > Off-Topic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page